Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 PM

295 posts, read 837,699 times

Advertisements

So I've come to realize that my cousin is a toxic friend and I no longer want to be around her. My non-toxic friends say just stop talking to her, But she's "family", so how do I break it off without the awkwardness during family functions? Plus, she has little to no friends because she's a selfish ragin' biotch, so I don't want to outright leave her. Advice?

If you're interested, here's the back story (This isn't neccessary for advice, but I need to rant, and I'll make it as short as possible) The following story is only one out of many; it's the final straw:

Cousin and I are at party last week. I see very cute Texan, Texan sees very cute Me; Texan and I strike up conversation about movies, football, jobs, etc. Texan is awesome, yet Cousin keeps interrupting with elitest comments and "one uppers" to make herself seem more awesome than me (not possible, but at least she gave it a good try ). Texan and I continue to talk throughout the night, yet Cousin keeps interrupting. I finally give up, I will not compete with Cousin because I think it's pointless for women to compete over men. I find other people to mingle with, and leave the Texan to Cousin, Texan leaves Cousin to play Madden with Party Host (ha!), I cheer for Host in Madden(sorry, can't cheer for Romo, even in simulated play) and Texan is crushed. End of night, Texan and I huddle and share one last cigarette outside, he's about to ask for my number (or something ), and on cue, Cousin interrupts with "I'm tired" and since I'm her ride, my night is officially over. Texan kisses me, and tells me to Facebook him (Ouch). In car, back to her apartment, Cousin cannot stop talking about how cute Texan is and how she could have "hit that". I am now livid. Fast forward to today, Texan and I are FB friends and we've made plans for next week - I am talking to Cousin's roomate and she too mentions how much Cousin talks about Texan. When Roomate asks why didn't Cousin make a move, she replies "Well, he seemed more into Organized Mess than me so...." Roomate realizes what happened based on Cousin's behavior (apparantly, Cousin is a repeat offender) Cousin replies "How was I supposed to get home?" I am now livid, again - see status.

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 11-22-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Advice? Yeah. If you are interested in him, go for it. Regardless of your cousin. If he is interested in her, then you would know it. Stop playing the jealous/childish games, concentrate on yourself, and try to leave her be....while your trying to score!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
She is "family" but so are you; she doesn't seem to care. I'd kick her to the curb, family or not.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
I'd look the guy up on Facebook and say,"Hey, I'm sorry we didn't get much of a chance to talk." And see if you and him can make future plans without your clueless cousin.

DO NOT tell your cousin! Just because you're related, she doesn't need to know everything.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Just ignore her bad behavior...everyone has problems and if we shunned everyone from our lives who had issues, had hurt us, talked poorly of us, etc. we would all be terribly lonely...

Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,715 times
The best thing you can do...the best "revenge" so to speak...is to be happy, live your life and not let her get in your head That should be enough to pi$$ her off, right?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
Just because she is family it doesn't mean you have to socialize with her on a regular basis. I'd limit my time and contact with dear cousin. You're entitled to live your life without her interference.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM

295 posts, read 837,699 times
Yankee & Cricket - I usually love your advice but I think you guys should reread the story, esp. the bolded statements below.

mrstewart - That's not fixing the problem. My cousin is selfish and her selfishness is starting to interfere with my life. I can't ignore that.

PTC, Sunny, and Wigirl - Thanks! I was wondering just how to do it - cold turkey or a slow weening....

"Cousin and I are at party last week. I see very cute Texan, Texan sees very cute Me; Texan and I strike up conversation about movies, football, jobs, etc. Texan is awesome, yet Cousin keeps interrupting with elitest comments and "one uppers" to make herself seem more awesome than me (not possible, but at least she gave it a good try ). Texan and I continue to talk throughout the night, yet Cousin keeps interrupting. I finally give up, I will not compete with Cousin because I think it's pointless for women to compete over men. I find other people to mingle with, and leave the Texan to Cousin, Texan leaves Cousin to play Madden with Party Host (ha!), I cheer for Host in Madden(sorry, can't cheer for Romo, even in simulated play) and Texan is crushed. End of night, Texan and I huddle and share one last cigarette outside, he's about to ask for my number (or something ), and on cue, Cousin interrupts with "I'm tired" and since I'm her ride, my night is officially over. Texan kisses me, and tells me to Facebook him (Ouch). In car, back to her apartment, Cousin cannot stop talking about how cute Texan is and how she could have "hit that". I am now livid. Fast forward to today, Texan and I are FB friends and we've made plans for next week - I am talking to Cousin's roomate and she too mentions how much Cousin talks about Texan. When Roomate asks why didn't Cousin make a move, she replies "Well, he seemed more into Organized Mess than me so...." Roomate realizes what happened based on Cousin's behavior (apparantly, Cousin is a repeat offender) and asks why did Cousin c*ck block, Cousin replies "How was I supposed to get home?" I am now livid, again - see status."
[CENTER][LEFT][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
Yankee & Cricket - I usually love your advice but I think you guys should reread the story, esp. the bolded statements below.

mrstewart - That's not fixing the problem. My cousin is selfish and her selfishness is starting to interfere with my life. I can't ignore that.

PTC, Sunny, and Wigirl - Thanks! I was wondering just how to do it - cold turkey or a slow weening....

"Cousin and I are at party last week. I see very cute Texan, Texan sees very cute Me; Texan and I strike up conversation about movies, football, jobs, etc. Texan is awesome, yet Cousin keeps interrupting with elitest comments and "one uppers" to make herself seem more awesome than me (not possible, but at least she gave it a good try ). Texan and I continue to talk throughout the night, yet Cousin keeps interrupting. I finally give up, I will not compete with Cousin because I think it's pointless for women to compete over men. I find other people to mingle with, and leave the Texan to Cousin, Texan leaves Cousin to play Madden with Party Host (ha!), I cheer for Host in Madden(sorry, can't cheer for Romo, even in simulated play) and Texan is crushed. End of night, Texan and I huddle and share one last cigarette outside, he's about to ask for my number (or something ), and on cue, Cousin interrupts with "I'm tired" and since I'm her ride, my night is officially over. Texan kisses me, and tells me to Facebook him (Ouch). In car, back to her apartment, Cousin cannot stop talking about how cute Texan is and how she could have "hit that". I am now livid. Fast forward to today, Texan and I are FB friends and we've made plans for next week - I am talking to Cousin's roomate and she too mentions how much Cousin talks about Texan. When Roomate asks why didn't Cousin make a move, she replies "Well, he seemed more into Organized Mess than me so...." Roomate realizes what happened based on Cousin's behavior (apparantly, Cousin is a repeat offender) and asks why did Cousin c*ck block, Cousin replies "How was I supposed to get home?" I am now livid, again - see status."
[CENTER][LEFT][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

No, ignoring her is not fixing the problem but you can't fix her...you can only fix yourself...will this hurt the rest of the family if you refuse to speak to her? Do you think you should talk to her about this first?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
I think you have to make the decision to drop her or deal with it. You don't want a toxic person around you, but you don't want to cut her off. Fact is that she's not going to change.

Family does not mean that you have to be friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships