U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 AM

356 posts, read 79,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Sending out thousands of thank you letters costs money and eats up into a charities donations and diverting it from being used to help others. Either you give because you care and want to see your donation used effectively or you give to feed your ego.
I know right? This discussion has turned really sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM

6,337 posts, read 2,278,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
It's ironic when a charity whose mission is kindness and benevolence is unable to take the time to practice gratitude in the form of a thank you letter.

Dude, if you're giving to a non-profit, registered charity, you ARE getting an acknowledgment. It's required by law. You're giving a bad example.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 AM

21,544 posts, read 14,173,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't discount the rudeness. And I agree, most people express some appreciation.

You know, I was thinking about the guy giving out the oranges, and not getting a "Thank you" for it. I was wondering "well, where the recipients English speaking?" In my area, a lot of day laborers, roofters, landscapers, etc. are Mexican. I was trying to reverse the situation...what if the shoes were on the other feet. What if I'm in Mexico, and someone comes and hands me an orange. Thoughts that would go through my head (since I speak very little Spanish)...Why is this stranger offering me fruit? Am I supposed to pay for this? What's this person telling me? It's not my break yet...what do I do with this until break time...what IS this guy saying? etc.

Under unusual circumstances, when you might be trying to mentally process what's happening...English not being the first language...maybe a thank you didn't jump to the forefront. Just a thought.
Good points.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM

842 posts, read 2,337,684 times
Quote:
Dude, if you're giving to a non-profit, registered charity, you ARE getting an acknowledgment. It's required by law. You're giving a bad example.

Per link below, looks like written acknowledgement is only required if donation is $250 or more.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/the-li...-taxes-2501853

Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Per link below, looks like written acknowledgement is only required if donation is $250 or more.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/the-li...-taxes-2501853

Per your link:

The IRS requires public charities (also known as 501(c)(3) organizations) to send a formal acknowledgment letter for any donation of more than $250. The donor may use this letter as proof of his or her contribution and claim a tax deduction. Most charities send an acknowledgment for all donations, even small ones.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM

20,282 posts, read 16,458,540 times
Quote:
I would if I experienced what he did. Why should someone engage in random, unrequired acts of kindness if they aren't going to even receive a positive acknowledgement? Why do charities mail a thank you letter when you send them a monetary donation? If I donated to a charity and didn't receive a thank you letter, I would not donate to that charity again.
Well, we were actually debating how much of an act of kindness it was to hand ONE bottle of soda and no cups to an entire work crew.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 AM

20,282 posts, read 16,458,540 times
Quote:
Per your link:

The IRS requires public charities (also known as 501(c)(3) organizations) to send a formal acknowledgment letter for any donation of more than $250. The donor may use this letter as proof of his or her contribution and claim a tax deduction. Most charities send an acknowledgment for all donations, even small ones.
Yes, I always get something. I wouldn't notice or care if I didn't, however. It certainly would not prevent me from giving again if I thought it a worthwhile charity. By not giving, it doesn't hurt the charity as much as it hurts the recipients of the charity. "Oh, sorry little dogs chained up with no food, you will just have to suffer because the charity I donated to help you didn't say "thanks". Hope you understand, little fella, it's the principle!"

Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM

842 posts, read 2,337,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, we were actually debating how much of an act of kindness it was to hand ONE bottle of soda and no cups to an entire work crew.

My friend could have not done anything. Do you think that would have been better? What's wrong with sharing a cold 2L bottle of soda among a few workers? I've seen people sharing bottles of water, soda, etc., in movies and tv shows.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
My friend could have not done anything. Do you think that would have been better? What's wrong with sharing a cold 2L bottle of soda among a few workers? I've seen people sharing bottles of water, soda, etc., in movies and tv shows.
Now you're being ridiculous. I bottle of soda, a entire work crew's lips all over the bottle? Come on. That's a "Thanks for nothing". And...I don't know...don't you think a work crew used to working outside already HAS THE cold water or beverages taken care of? This isn't liking crossing the border through the dessert, give these people a bottle to share.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM

40,180 posts, read 39,730,739 times
A few years ago we were getting a new car and thought we'd give our older one to one of the kids in the family, figured it would be better than hoofing it.

Nope, she didn't want it, wanted something else instead.

I felt more a hot wave of annoyance at that than I had in a long long time.

I worked and humped and busted my ass to be able to buy my first car, a beat up VW bug. I would have been beyond grateful to get a car that was functional handed to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or