Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A few years ago we were getting a new car and thought we'd give our older one to one of the kids in the family, figured it would be better than hoofing it.

Nope, she didn't want it, wanted something else instead.

I felt more a hot wave of annoyance at that than I had in a long long time.

I worked and humped and busted my ass to be able to buy my first car, a beat up VW bug. I would have been beyond grateful to get a car that was functional handed to me.

I can relate. I had bought a coat...a really pretty coat, in my opinion. It didn't fit right. I brought it to a family function, to see if anyone in my family would like to have it. I offered it to my 19 yr. old niece. She didn't want it...which was fine. But what she said pissed me off. "EW! No! That's an old lady's coat! I wouldn't be caught dead in it." (It was a fake fur burgundy coat.)

"No Thank you" would've sufficed. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
My friend could have not done anything. Do you think that would have been better? What's wrong with sharing a cold 2L bottle of soda among a few workers? I've seen people sharing bottles of water, soda, etc., in movies and tv shows.
But they do it in movies and tv shows! Wow...

Yes, it would have been better to not do anything if what you are doing is not helpful. The painter asked where he could get drinking water. As another poster said, pointing him in the direction of the nearest convenience store would have been more useful than a 2L bottle of soda. They didn't ask for a soda, and they certainly didn't ask for a soda that would need to be passed around to each person.

Would you want to share a 2L soda with everyone in your office? I wouldn't, and neither did those painters.

The soda being cold instead of room temperature makes no difference, so I"m not sure why you keep repeating that it was a cold soda. Who cares what temp the soda was?

Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 PM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Now you're being ridiculous. I bottle of soda, a entire work crew's lips all over the bottle? Come on. That's a "Thanks for nothing". And...I don't know...don't you think a work crew used to working outside already HAS THE cold water or beverages taken care of? This isn't liking crossing the border through the dessert, give these people a bottle to share.
Aside from their lips, there’s “backsplash” with bottles. I used to secretly be disgusted when one of my little nephews asked for a sip, let alone a bunch of people I’m not related to.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, we were actually debating how much of an act of kindness it was to hand ONE bottle of soda and no cups to an entire work crew.
I agree, it seems kind of rude actually to expect people to drink from the same bottle, presuming everyone even likes or drinks soda. In hot weather or getting hot working outside soda is not the best thing to offer.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I agree, it seems kind of rude actually to expect people to drink from the same bottle, presuming everyone even likes or drinks soda. In hot weather or getting hot working outside soda is not the best thing to offer.
"Here ya go, ya filthy animals. Pass around this COLD 2-liter." LOL

Old 03-17-2019, 12:07 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Who keeps track of how or if someone expresses gratitude?
I'm sure I have done things and not been thanked, but I can't even think of one. I would say 99% of the time I receive some sort of polite gesture in return.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Who keeps track of how or if someone expresses gratitude?
I'm sure I have done things and not been thanked, but I can't even think of one. I would say 99% of the time I receive some sort of polite gesture in return.
My friend who is used to receiving thanks and gratitude for kind acts, but lately hasn't received it.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM

356 posts, read 175,885 times
Quote:
My friend who is used to receiving thanks and gratitude for kind acts, but lately hasn't received it.
What else do you and this "friend" enjoy talking about?

Old 03-17-2019, 03:50 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Used to does not pay the rent.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would not, but not because they didn't say thank you. I'd stop because they are obviously aware of a leak problem by this point and perfectly capable of monitoring it themselves.

Suppose that same person who you made aware of irrigation leaks multiple times without receiving a thank you, sends you an email indicating their irrigation controller broken and asks if you know a reliable brand & model of irrigation controller and the name of someone who can install one. If you genuinely knew a reliable brand & model and someone who could install one, would you reply with the helpful information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships