U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM

15,256 posts, read 12,512,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Once they moved into the casita, I didnít go in there. That would have been infringing on their privacy. But if I saw them outside and waved, or said hi, I got no response.

The day I had to leave to go to a trade show I saw them not at all and had no idea if they were out of town or off running errands or what. I wanted to talk to them about my being gone over the weekend and my plan to leave Tuesday to go back to California. To let them know IN PERSON they would have to vacate.

I never got that chance.

I would say that if you donít want people sending you brusque texts, you need to communicate better.
you mean they totally ignored you when you waved... if so they were only users and treating you like a mug.... should be headed Unexpected pests..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM

9,080 posts, read 8,232,722 times
What horrible guests, blood relatives or not.

They used your casita like an AirBnB, you should have charged them.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM

78,129 posts, read 70,023,326 times
Quote:
Received a text late last night: They're out.

Said they had cleaned the place thoroughly. We'll see. I'm still about four hours from home.
Great news, OP! Congrats! Let's hope their vehicle has no more breakdowns en route, once they get the current issue fixed.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 AM

2,632 posts, read 3,359,370 times
I don't know...

It's not like they planned to take advantage of you. The RV broke down, and the difference between 5 and 7 days is not a lot..... especially if you have a whole "casita" (??extra house in back) that they can use and not even impose upon your personal space. And it sounds like they are trying not to impose by quietly coming/going and not bothering you. Clearly they were planning on living frugally on this trip, and a sudden expense for 7 days in a hotel in a non-vacation place would be a bit painful. Although it is also clear you do not approve of them/their lifestyle choices. Personally, I think it's great!

What does your partner think about their stay? Sorry.... I haven't read all of the posts, if you already mentioned it.

It is family. Isn't this what something like a casita is for?

And you are complaining because they drank too much.... water? Ok.... It would be nice if they refilled it. Maybe let them know where they can go to do that, since they should have plenty of free time on their hands. It might not have occurred to me to refill water I had used. I think I am a pretty good guest, but I could have made that mistake.

It's totally your right to be irritated I guess. But it seems to me that the only things they have done wrong are not apologize that their RV wont be done for an extra 2 days (which isn't really their fault....) and for drinking your water.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM

78,129 posts, read 70,023,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I don't know...

It's not like they planned to take advantage of you. The RV broke down, and the difference between 5 and 7 days is not a lot..... especially if you have a whole "casita" (??extra house in back) that they can use and not even impose upon your personal space. Clearly they were planning on living frugally and a sudden expense for 7 days in a hotel in a non-vacation place would be a bit painful. Although it is also clear you do not approve of them/their lifestyle choices. Personally, I think it's great!

Your dislike for them is dripping from your post.

What does your partner think? Sorry.... I haven't read all of the posts, if you already mentioned it.

And you are complaining because they drank too much.... water? Ok.... It would be nice if they refilled it. Maybe let them know where they can go to do that, since they should have plenty of free time on their hands. It might not have occurred to me to refill water I had used. I think I am a pretty good guest, but I could have made that mistake.

It's totally your right to be irritated I guess.
It's not so clear, in view of the fact that they rented a BMW to get around town. It's not unreasonable for the OP to assume, that if they can afford to rent a BMW, they could at least afford a few nights at Motel 6.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM

3,882 posts, read 1,653,901 times
Quote:
I don't know...

It's not like they planned to take advantage of you. The RV broke down, and the difference between 5 and 7 days is not a lot..... especially if you have a whole "casita" (??extra house in back) that they can use and not even impose upon your personal space. And it sounds like they are trying not to impose by quietly coming/going and not bothering you. Clearly they were planning on living frugally on this trip, and a sudden expense for 7 days in a hotel in a non-vacation place would be a bit painful. Although it is also clear you do not approve of them/their lifestyle choices. Personally, I think it's great!

What does your partner think about their stay? Sorry.... I haven't read all of the posts, if you already mentioned it.

It's totally your right to be irritated I guess. But it seems to me that the only things they have done wrong are not apologize that their RV wont be done for an extra 2 days (which isn't really their fault....) and for drinking your water.
Since when is Scottsdale a ďnon-vacationĒ place? It is a HUGE vacation area with a Four Seasons resort, Fairmont, and other very nice hotels that is actually quite popular this time of year for vacationers wanting a warm-weather destination. I think the main issue is that because it is a huge vacation area and it is a resort town during spring break, it might be quite expensive and have more limited availability. That said, you would think they would be more grateful.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 AM

15,002 posts, read 21,660,762 times
Quote:
I don't know...

They were extremely rude though. Didn't ask permission, just decided to overstay their welcome. It isn't their fault they RV broke down. However, they way they dealt with it absolutely is. The OP shouldn't have to deal with that behavior.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM

4,942 posts, read 3,425,299 times
My two sisters go on a cruise every year. They save all year for this and for them it's important.

Normally they catch the ship in Florida but this year it was California. I was told they would like to see me but would stay at a motel. I was under the assumption they would visit on the way to the ship and pretty much just hung around waiting. I heard nothing from either of them until they were on their way back to their respective homes.

The one sister has been a thorn in my side since we were young and I didn't really want to see her. But, I was gracious when she called and told me, not ask but told, when she would be here, which was while She was on the road and not far away. There was no advance notice. She stayed for two days and I didn't feed her well. I did feed her, but it was leftovers.

The second one had stayed with friends in California for a few days but then she came to visit. Again, no motel room.

I was more gracious to her as we do get along well. And since she gave me prior notice, I was able to go to the store and made a nice roast dinner. The second night she took me to a restaurant as thanks.

But, I was not prepared for any of this. They were just lucky I've recently been buying camping essentials and had a cot. Otherwise it would have been a love seat because I don't have a full size couch.

I can't imagine putting someone up that I didn't even know, Casita or not. I think op was well within her rights to let her visitors know enough was enough. Even two days was more than enough for me and that was sisters, not unknown relatives.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM

7,444 posts, read 4,578,950 times
Quote:
Clearly they were planning on living frugally on this trip, and a sudden expense for 7 days in a hotel in a non-vacation place would be a bit painful. Although it is also clear you do not approve of them/their lifestyle choices. Personally, I think it's great!
I don't want to argue this endlessly and now that it's ended, this thread should, too.

But you're wrong about not approving of them and their lifestyle choices. I don't have an opinion on what they do with their lives. I'm not entitled to one, just as they wouldn't be entitled to an opinion on what I do with mine.

As an experienced RVer, though, I think I am qualified to express some surprise that they bought a old falling-apart RV to take on a six month trip, since clearly they do have money. Paying $6,000-some to replace the transmission did not seem to worry them much. Someone already mentioned the BMW rental. I don't even know where to rent a BMW.

Quote:
What does your partner think about their stay?

He's neutral. Smart man. He appreciates that I'm the enforcer so that he doesn't have to be.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 PM

4,568 posts, read 1,365,773 times
Quote:
Once they moved into the casita, I didnít go in there. That would have been infringing on their privacy. But if I saw them outside and waved, or said hi, I got no response.
You're telling us that there was no acknowledgement whatsoever from them when you said hi? And the same thing happened when you waved?

Not even a smile or a head nod? You were just completely ignored?

With all due respect, I am finding this very hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships