Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times

Advertisements

Too bad there are some people who just want your stuff. They have to come and freeload and want to stay. I'm not nice about it myself. I would have added I'll take care of replacing all that water. But, you don't want to make users any madder.

You wrote them a nice note. Good thing because since they appear to be total users I could see them while you're away getting into your house to do the last laundry or something. Hope all is in order when you return.

Keep up updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 AM

17,718 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Although I think they were pretty jerky about the water, if it was me staying in your casita (under these conditions), I might not communicate every time I left. I wasn’t there to visit you, and I assume the casita is totally self contained. Obviously if Iwas leaving for the weekend I’ll tell you, but just going out to the store to buy a 24 pack of water <G> I’d probably just go.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This generation communicates by text and they're not back yet, so...

"I’ve left for the weekend. I will return Monday. I expect in the meantime you will have removed yourselves, your pets and your belongings from the casita and decamped to one of the many pet-friendly hostelries in Phoenix. Here are a few of the pet-friendly chains: La Quinta, Red Roof Inn, Kimpton and some Best Westerns. You can leave the casita key in the mailbox. Good luck on your continuing journey."

Not too hostile, I hope. I was going for an even tone.
Actually, it was super harsh.

I have a feeling the real reason you're upset is because they didn't spend any time with you.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Good on you for having a spine, Fluffy!! I eagerly await the news when you return!! I didn't think your note was harsh at all. A bit blunt, but considering the way they have acted, entirely appropriate.

I have some (DH side) relatives that would do something similar, except they WOULD spend time with us. ALL THEIR TIME. It was wearying. Very obvious they were trying to save on hotel costs. I have permanently dodged them now by moving to an apt. without an accessible (to them) guest room.

I imagine you will have to do a deep clean on the casita after the pet stay. Hope you bill them for it.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
This generation communicates by text and they're not back yet, so...

"I’ve left for the weekend. I will return Monday. I expect in the meantime you will have removed yourselves, your pets and your belongings from the casita and decamped to one of the many pet-friendly hostelries in Phoenix. Here are a few of the pet-friendly chains: La Quinta, Red Roof Inn, Kimpton and some Best Westerns. You can leave the casita key in the mailbox. Good luck on your continuing journey."

Not too hostile, I hope. I was going for an even tone.
Definitely hostile.

IMHO you made as many assumptions about them as they made about you. You should have communicated with them like you wanted to be communicated with.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:58 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I cant stand users.. I took in my aunt many years ago as she had an abusive man living with her... but it was her rented house not his..........Anyway none of my aunties could or wouldnt take her in but because I was on my own with my three kids they trailed this woman to my door..............she said she was only needed a bed for a week until she got the police to throw him out........a week past she started drinking in my house and took over one of the bedroomswhich was for my two sons who then had to sleep in their sisters room.. but I didnt mind as only for the week haha.. who was I kidding... I wasnt supposed to have anyone living under my roof at that time as I was on benifits and was terrified Id get caught by the DSS... then she started sleeping on my couch in the living room which was even worse as the benefits people could come to the door at any time of the day or night and here she is lying on my couch until 11 in the day.......I told her she couldnt do this as I would be taken off benefits and she said.....Well I have a bad heart condition and need heat. your rooms are freezing. I said yes I know they are and I cant afford to heat them but I have a son with asthma who has to sleep in them this cant go on... she wouldnt listen.. then grumbled about having to eat scrambled eggs or beans on toast for lunch as all I could afford.. she was handing me £4 a week for her keep which even back in the 70s wasnt that much....If I was out at the shops she would refuse to allow my kids into the house as she was busy.......busy doing what boozing......after three months she left but came back again less than a year later crying outside my door same thing same abusive half wit she lived with.... softy took her in again same thing until Id had enough....... She had promised to try and find other rented accommodation but never seemed to go looking so one day she was sitting half stewed drunk.. I waited till she sobered up and told her Id had enough. and she would have to leave....she got angry with me but left and my aunt took her in for a few weeks but she made sure she went looking for a flat to live in as her husband wasnt happy and they had no room for her.. she was nothing but a pest...............she got the new flat and guess what.... took this piece of dirt who had hit her on many occassions and died they say of a heart attack soon after.... Yes she was a sad person but a user too and after that I learned my lesson....

Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 AM

801 posts, read 615,344 times
Yeah- I think it's time for a discussion... perhaps they're living the YOLO life and don't know this bothers you. Obviously, they don't have manners but they really might not know they're being an imposition. They're about my age and while I'm different, my similarly-aged cousins have always been helped out and pandered to... they were raised *precious* and think their presence is a gift. That family panders to the young ones and they've gotten nothing from you two until now.

"So, we need to firm up a date for your departure. I'm not good with VAGUE. I don't know what's going on with the repairs but if it's going to be long-term, I'm going to need to write up a short-term lease and start charging rent and portioning out utility bills."

In other words, you'll be letting them know that the free ride is over. If you're uncomfortable with them renting from you, say that you had been planning to start using it as AirBNB accommodations and need them out by x-date. They're welcome to schedule a visit in a future via the site. And when they try to - if they try to in the future - say that you found that you didn't like having company at all/for more than a day or two. DEADPAN.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:24 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I have a feeling the real reason you're upset is because they didn't spend any time with you.
No offense, but that isn't exactly a startling insight. Of course I expected them to spend time with me. That's what guests do. Did I expect us to braid each other's hair? No. But how tough is it to hang out for a few minutes with the person who cleaned the hot tub so you could use it?

It's not like they had jobs they had to hurry off to every day. Would it really have been so hard to, oh I don't know, invite me out for breakfast once?

When they first showed up and said they had been grocery shopping I was glad they had brought food because I had very little in the house, being alone. I envisioned us making dinner and having a chat. As the evening wore on and no mention of dinner was made I realized they didn't intend to have a meal with me. I never even saw the groceries. Apparently they were preparing food for themselves out in the casita.

If I'd been Airbnbing the casita (something I've given thought to), that behavior would be fine and perfectly normal. You've no obligation to talk to the host when you're paying for accommodations. But they weren't paying customers. I was doing them a favor, a courtesy because they are "family."

The longest conversation we had was when they told me -- not asked me -- they'd be staying longer.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Take deep breath! Life goes on. You learned your lesson. Next time invite them in, pull up local hotels and print them a list.
We had such users in the past. Some stole. Some took us for granted as personal assistants and had fits when the assistants quit.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:

The longest conversation we had was when they told me -- not asked me -- they'd be staying longer.
Ugh. Well, try to remember this little universal power phrase in the future, "Oh sorry, that doesn't work for me."

No reasons needed. You can continue with what you need them to do, like move out by Sunday.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Can’t wat to hear what happens when you get back from trip! Wow. Some people really have no clue.

My sister is very similar. She came out east for vacation and asked if she could stay with us. I told her of course, just let me know when you’re going to be here. She told me around the time she was going to come, but never firm dates. Just showed up at my house one day, never told me when she was going to leave, and then decided to go to my uncles house and did the same thing to him!

So apparently, it sounds like there are people in this world that are absolutely clueless!!
yeah i don't get this. I wouldn't even want to stay at someone's house that had INVITED me. No way.

I prefer the anonymity of a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships