U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:05 PM

4,210 posts, read 7,109,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't notice. I mean...unless they're standing on a chair and shouting it to the world...I don't notice.

That said, sometimes I attract the weird, and on more than one occasion I've been...accosted by individuals who've felt the need to unload all the heavy stuff going on in their lives. It's happened several times. I'm a stranger to them, but they feel the need to unload.

And these are not particularly young people.
You have an invisible-to-you "Chaplain" sign on your back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 08:10 PM

8,994 posts, read 2,939,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Personal business over the phone or in public ? Like I was checking out at the grocery store and the cashier was telling me about how she was working with her dad and she had to take a shower before she came to work and etc … I mean honestly I don't want to know their personal business ever . also when they are on the cell phone while in the store and you hear how their mom is their best friend and how she is mad at them right now … Oh please for god's sake and others stop airing your personal business out in public . Does anyone else seem to notice this ? I mean you cant help but hear it because some of them are speaking so loud .
As texting has replaced much direct human communication, it's left many of them pathologically desperate for it. So they share their unrewarding electronic conversations with you, because you're a real person and right next to them.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 AM

4,541 posts, read 4,405,708 times
About 10 years ago I was sitting in the waiting room of a car dealership's service department. A young woman was on her phone talking about details of her recent abortion!

WayyyyTMI.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:01 AM

5,382 posts, read 5,825,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They probably figure they'll never see the people listening again. And they just don't care.
Yeah, basically. I can’t say I’m a very “disclose things in public” kind of person and I don’t walk around in public talking on a cell phone, but I really wouldn’t care whatsoever if I happened to be at the grocery store and my sales lady or my accountant had an urgent call and I was talking some finance thing. I wouldn’t be loud about it, I wouldn’t be hovering near anyone, and I really don’t care if some random person I don’t know hears me say “screw them if they won’t pay $5,000, then we don’t need them” or whatever.

I try to be a respectful person just in general while out though, but I also don’t care to not be myself. So while I’m certainly not going to talk during a movie, ever, I certainly am going to talk about whatever I want to my fiancé or best friend at a restaurant and I don’t care if someone near me is offended. They can put their big boy panties on and stop eavesdropping.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 AM

6,358 posts, read 2,280,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You have an invisible-to-you "Chaplain" sign on your back.

Ha! You might be right. lol

Old 03-29-2019, 01:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,994,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Personal business over the phone or in public ? Like I was checking out at the grocery store and the cashier was telling me about how she was working with her dad and she had to take a shower before she came to work and etc … I mean honestly I don't want to know their personal business ever . also when they are on the cell phone while in the store and you hear how their mom is their best friend and how she is mad at them right now … Oh please for god's sake and others stop airing your personal business out in public . Does anyone else seem to notice this ? I mean you cant help but hear it because some of them are speaking so loud .
Yes. I've heard much worse, and...ewwww.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:54 PM

6,780 posts, read 3,763,138 times
OP...look at the bright side... you still have your hearing.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:03 PM

6,857 posts, read 6,940,540 times
Sometimes I think people can be rude with cell phones. I play in a card group of ladies. Last time a woman at my table got a long phone call from daughter asking her to pick up the granddaughter. It was her turn to play but she let us all sit there and wait while she talked to the daughter. Then she proceeded to call her husband to see if he could pick up since she was playing cards. This conversation went on in great detail about where the granddaughter would be waiting. Then she said she had to call the daughter back. All this time, the other 3 of us sat there waiting for her to take her turn and also listen to this boring conversation. As she was making the third call, another player suggested that she take her turn and then call the daughter back.. She finally got the clue, took her turn and left the table for the third call.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:05 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,320,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not really young people, but more older people.
That has been my experience. Usually 50 and up. But not exclusively. It seems to be a trend for all ages who have cell phones.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM

4,744 posts, read 1,496,454 times
Sometimes I will do this if there is a funny story to be told that will get a laught, but otherwise I don't. What I don't like is when young people, or even older people too sometimes, will ask me personal life questions, that I feel I don't want to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or