U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM

3,771 posts, read 5,448,501 times

Advertisements

I'm not good at this. But I wonder if most are. If you have been living somewhere for more than a year, do you start to recognize all of those people, who you may have seen at the gas station, or grocery store, etc. So a lot of the people you see everyday close to home, you have seen before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 PM

9,183 posts, read 9,162,441 times
Other people are better at it than I am. I'm usually wrapped up in my own thoughts and don't necessarily notice other people.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:11 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,741,002 times
I recognize people in my apartment building, but I rarely see them when I'm out and about, but I live in a city with more than a million people now, which is just the way I like it. I hated living in small towns, where everyone knows everything about you - or think they do.

But I have neighbors who are nice and we say hi and chat a bit in the halls, but we're not close. Close enough to keep an eye out for each other, but not intrusive, which I like.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 PM

10,390 posts, read 14,226,100 times
I have recently not recognized my adult children when they appeared someplace unexpectedly (I see them often) so not recognizing neighbors doesn't seem like a big thing to me.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:51 PM

6,824 posts, read 2,787,388 times
Depends on the place and circumstances. I've lived in very small towns for many years. Not to recognize people I am likely to see in the post office, grocery store, the usual places for daily errands would be strange. I don't necessarily run up and give them a hug like some long lost relative, but I at least acknowledge their existence. However, a gas station in a densely populated neighborhood in a big city? A lot less likely.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,434,862 times
Some. I'm not great at recognizing faces, so they have to have some other distinctive features that catch my eye, and I have to see them in the same places each time in order to recognize them. I start to recognize some people in grocery stores, at the bus stop, in the stores nearby... not so much other people in my apartment complex.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:38 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,510,376 times
It usually takes me a couple of years to recognize and become somewhat familiar with most of my neighbours after I move into a new place. In the apartment building I live in now, I've been here for 6 years and I know most of the other residents in the building but there are still some that I've rarely seen, I don't know their names and we've never spoken to each other yet except to say "hello" and "have a nice day" if we happen to encounter each other in the elevator. But I do recognize their faces.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:54 AM

12,862 posts, read 6,167,132 times
When we lived in our house, a neighbor who lived across the street would always wave to us when he saw us outside. He worked at the local post office. When I went there to buy stamps sometimes I would get waited on by him. He never recognized me LOL. Sometimes people will associate you with a certain location be it your home or your job. Outside of those areas, they don't recognize you.

When we moved into our apartment building, many residents would engage us in conversation and introduce themselves---and we did the same. We met so many people that I had trouble remembering names. As time went by, I sorted it all out.

I had an embarrassing incident several years ago. It was at a point in my life that I was doing a lot of temp work and came across so many people that it became a blur. One day my husband and I were shopping and a woman came up to me and addressed me by my name. For the life of me, I couldn't remember her name or what company she worked for. I asked her some questions hoping her answers would jog my memory. For example, "How is everyone at work?" "Anything new there?" Unfortunately, her answers were of no help. Before we parted ways, I said it was nice to see her again and to say "hello" to everybody for me.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 AM

792 posts, read 325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm not good at this. But I wonder if most are. If you have been living somewhere for more than a year, do you start to recognize all of those people, who you may have seen at the gas station, or grocery store, etc. So a lot of the people you see everyday close to home, you have seen before?
I recognize everyone. There was one mom I met at a school function who came up to me and said, "This has been bugging me FOREVER... WHERE do I know you from?"

Target, 5 different grocery stores, the YMCA, TJMaxx, the local ski resort. We must be on the same inner-erranding schedule because truly, I see her almost every time I'm out. We'll even go in the same order, so I'll see her in several consecutive stores on the same round of errands. For 14 years. THAT'S how we "know" each other. LOL - I even saw her at the optometrist last week, while I was getting my son tested for glasses. It's a big joke now. (I don't her name- I'm TERRIBLE with names... but I will recognize the janitor or lunch ladies we had in kindergarten.)

Then, I'll sometimes ask someone if they live in our neighborhood and introduce myself. I know their face from passing in the car and they know my kids and pets... they'll even know their names and personalities. But, if they aren't out on walks very often, we're not going to know each other except the face. I met one neighbor like this in the grocery store the other day and truly, we startled each other. Seeing me only from afar, all burly and tough and manly up in his truck, he didn't know I was 6-feet tall. Me seeing him from afar, all burly and tough and manly up in his truck, I didn't know he was barely 5-feet tall. Our height difference was so glaring... we had a good laugh about it.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 AM

5,407 posts, read 5,834,561 times
No way. I only recognize employees of places I go fairly often and they recognize me too, we chat, etc. I couldn’t tell you who any of our neighbors are except right next to us, one house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or