Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:45 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

This sounds like another Happs or his friend not being treated right by others thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 09:55 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It only reflects poorly on the employer for hiring them if the employer knew in advance that the employee was bad mannered when he hired him. How is an employer supposed to know how an employee behaves towards people in his personal and neighbourhood life? Most employers don't know anything about how a prospective employee behaves towards other people when he's not at work and since the employee is being paid to be nice at work the employer and employee's clients won't know anything about his private behaviour either so the only assumptions they'll make is that he's a nice guy because that's what they see from him at work.

The above doesn't apply with regard to your neighbor that you don't like, the one who owns his own business, because he doesn't have an employer, he only has his own paying clients. I bet if you pay him for his professional services or pay him to be nice to you in the neighbourhood then he will be nice to you. Otherwise, you aren't important to him and he has no reason to behave in a pleasant professional manner with you if you are not a paying client. Why should he?

The other person in your neighbourhood who does not excude professionalism in interactions with neighbors is just being a nice guy. But keep in mind that neither he nor anyone else in your neighbourhood is required to behave in a professional manner towards their neighbours.

I think you're making a mistake by singling out white collar workers. Non-white collar workers can be just as nice and professional or just as nasty and unprofessional as the next guy. The behaviour is all about the individual, not about their class or status at work.

I've noticed you have complained about neighbours in several of your posts ..... either your own neighbours or your "friend's" neighbours. It sounds to me like you have control issues about neighbours and you don't like it when neighbours don't behave the way you think they should. That might be why you have trouble or personality conflicts with your neighbours - because you can't hide how you feel and they will know what you think of them from your own behaviour towards them - so they will respond accordingly. Nobody likes it when somebody else in the neighbourhood criticizes and looks down on them and wants them to conform in their personal lifestyle. You aren't offering them any kind of reward for "good behaviour", so maybe you should just live and let live and stop worrying about how your neighbours behave. They are none of your business.

There is a big difference between judging a company based on how one warehouse worker among thousands behaves vs how the company's only "insert high level corporate position here" behaves because there is only one of the latter. Regarding the above examples in my previous post, those people do not behave like that exclusively with me. I have observed them behave in passive aggressive and unprofessional ways to others. I think you are making erroneous conclusions about me in my perceptions of neighbors. As I have written before, I live in a neighborhood of nice, caring people. Those nice, caring people have the same perceptions as I do about the people in my OP.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:26 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
There is a big difference between judging a company based on how one warehouse worker among thousands behaves vs how the company's only "insert high level corporate position here" behaves because there is only one of the latter. Regarding the above examples in my previous post, those people do not behave like that exclusively with me. I have observed them behave in passive aggressive and unprofessional ways to others. I think you are making erroneous conclusions about me in my perceptions of neighbors. As I have written before, I live in a neighborhood of nice, caring people. Those nice, caring people have the same perceptions as I do about the people in my OP.
Can you give examples? Are they just not being nice or responsive to others once they're home? I have neighbors that keep to themselves, they just aren't interested in socializing.

Sometimes what people see as passive aggressive is just people setting up healthy boundaries.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
If you don't like the behaviour of the neighbour who you think is non-professional in your neighbourhood nobody is twisting your arm to do business with the company that he works at nor to associate with the neighbour. Your neighbourhood is NOT a business and you are not its client. You can't change your neighbours to suit your own standards and I'm not sure what is the point of your complaint about him - seriously, where are you going with this? - but I think you should just learn to suck it up buttercup. Quit looking for faults in other people and quit complaining about them because it makes you sound like a chronic complainer who is doing the complaining just to get attention.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Um, yeah.

At work, I'm super type A.
People's lives and health depend on this. I will not budge on things being done exactly right. Simply not acceptable.

At home, I'm easy going, joking, don't let much bother me, positive outlook...

So while this does not always necessitate a change in personality, I will become "harder" if things are getting to floopity at work. Whereas I don't really care at home.

People at work who don't know me in my personal life do not believe I'm totally chill at home.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:02 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
At work, they're being paid to be courteous and competent. At home--nada. They're free tho exhibit their Inner Jerk.

What your real question is, I think, is: why are some people only polite and competent if they're getting paid, while others are like that all the time.
I think that question is indeed one most struggle with.

I never quite grasped that concept of being paid to do what comes natural.In my mind being paid is part of the business not part of Buying my kindness. Being considerate, making fair decisions and treating folks with some respect is a standard, not an overblown expectation.

I'm the same whether its at work or home. I stopped wearing two faces years ago...as I grew into acceptance.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Can you give examples? Are they just not being nice or responsive to others once they're home? I have neighbors that keep to themselves, they just aren't interested in socializing.

Sometimes what people see as passive aggressive is just people setting up healthy boundaries.

Not being nice and responsive and quick to criticize and introduce negativity.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:43 PM

356 posts, read 175,929 times
What a weird neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:58 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Yes, you have good points.

Would you (anyone) prefer neighbors as in the bolded part above or neighbors who know everybody's business in the whole neighborhood and come to tell you everything, and they come to ask you to help them to babysit their little children for a couple hours for free, or to borrow eggs, flour, sugar from you often and don't return? Yes, all those are just little things, but if they keep coming to your house to borrow them often and don't return, you feel annoyed and feel you are taken advantage of.

Also, would you like to have a neighbor who comes to you often to tell you about this neighbor, that neighbor in troubles or has difficulties and ask you for help and charities, donations, such as clothes, food, money from you? When I want donate, I pack things up to donate to Salvation Army, Goodwill, or write cheques to the Red Cross… I want to do things on my free wills. I don't like someone keeps coming to ask me that makes me feel I'm obligated for someone else's life. I work my butt off to take care of myself. I'm responsible for what I do. Whoever has problems, needs clothes, food, money, go to the Social Service for help, go to Salvation Army, Goodwill to buy things with cheap prices.

It's nice to live in the neighborhood that everyone is polite and respect each other. It's not nice to live with neighbors who always want to come to socialize with you when you want a quiet time after a long day's work. It's nice when you help someone when you can. It's tiresome when you help others once, twice, and those people keep coming to ask for more and more.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:01 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times
Because people don't usually feel they have to be as formal in their real life as they do at work?

But, to me, "professional" is a different thing than just being a decent human being. You can be professional and not nice. You can be nice and not professional (you can even sometimes be so nice as to be unprofessional). "Professional" to me means a certain kind of formality, reserve, impersonality, diplomacy, and sometimes even doormattishness, depending on your job. I don't expect that from people in their real life, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships