Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever gone out and gotten drunk around other people?
Yes, I think so 63 77.78%
No, I don't think so 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 11:46 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
There are some solitary drinkers, yeah. However, unless very religious, an outgoing adult who has never been intoxicated sounds very unlikely.
Not really.

I have friends and relatives who don't drink (or rarely drink) for any variety of reasons. A good friend gets "Asian flush", my daughter has medical issues for which alcohol causes unpleasant reactions, some people are on medications, some just don't like the taste, some don't want to use their calories that way. They can still be social.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Asian flush I believe - I used to know an extravert in that category who I think might never have drunk more than lightly. Most of the others in the category aren't lifelong issues.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:37 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Better to get drunk with others, than alone.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
I wanted to know how many people have ever gotten drunk (it's good to know how the world works). I already said the social part of the question was added mainly to fit the topic in here.
Are you one of those kids whose parents have kept them locked in a single bedroom with homeschooling materials, and everything you know about the outside world comes from overhearing the semi-muffled sound of the television in the mysterious "livingroom" where your dad sits?

The Wolfpack: documentary about six brothers locked in NY apartment ...

Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Asian flush I believe - I used to know an extravert in that category who I think might never have drunk more than lightly. Most of the others in the category aren't lifelong issues.
You don't believe medical issues, personal taste and watching calories can be lifelong?

And quite frankly, whether or not you believe it doesn't really matter. People make all kinds of life decisions for all kinds of reasons.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-02-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 03:31 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I admit I’ll never understand the whole “it’s sad to drink alone” thing. I’ve had many great nights in the past “drinking alone,” I mean is it because some people drink for the wrong reasons? Or do they assume everything is a movie cliche? Drinking alone doesn’t imply whatsoever that someone is “sad” and trying to “drown their sorrows.” Alcohol is not a solution to any of your problems and shouldn’t be treated that way. I just enjoyed watching some movies at home or a good TV show while drinking and it seems bizarre to me that somehow it would be “acceptable” to watch the same things on TV while drinking provided I had someone else sitting next to me but I can’t enjoy it myself. That’s absolutely idiotic in every way and makes no logical sense.

I can understand if someone thinks you shouldn’t get trashed or completely hammered drinking alone, but honestly should you do that ever just in general? No, you really shouldn’t. So what if someone has a few drinks while relaxing themselves? I don’t get that. I don’t drink anymore so I don’t care but the big hoopla over that still annoys me almost as much as codependent people who say, “Oh Captain Marvel? Yeah the wife didn’t want to see it, so...” So what? So she didn’t go with you? Or wait you seriously didn’t watch a movie because you were scared to leave the house all by yourself and sit quietly in a dark theater? Wooooow. I’m glad I’m an actual adult and didn’t find a new mommy who has to hold my hand, so I can just go watch a movie any time I want and not worry who is going to cuddle me during it lol

Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 PM

372 posts, read 220,210 times
Yes, I December 2000.

Went with my girlfriend to a gathering of friends .It was an annual (fruit) mince pie and champagne day. Everyone took food and champagne. Then we sat around making the pies and drinking champagne.

I drank a LOT of champagne . Did't feel drunk, but knew I had to be. My girlfriend drove us back to her place. Turned out, she was drunker than me . I stayed there until I was sober enough to drive, about 8 hours.

On the Monday, I apologised to my host for getting so drunk. Just the same, I was not invited the next year.

I stopped drinking in June 2002 ,and have not had a drink since. Today I am what is know as 'a sober member of AA'

Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I admit I’ll never understand the whole “it’s sad to drink alone” thing. I’ve had many great nights in the past “drinking alone,”
I think this notion stems from the belief that, because alcoholics drink whether alone or in company, while many people only drink socially, that drinking alone means you are an alcoholic.

As long as one's alcohol consumption does not cause a problem or danger to the drinker or those around them, any sort of alcohol consumption, alone or in company, is not automatically abuse.

Drinking alcohol alone is no different from watching television alone, dining alone, playing a videogame alone, or any other activity.

Alcoholic beverages are tasty, and consuming a certain amount without overdoing it creates pleasant sensations. Unless you are a moralist or prude, how can there be any problem with someone seeking a gratifying, safe experience?

Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
That's only. 05 or. 08.

Is that drunk? No.

Impaired to drive? For some, yes.
Excellent point. I missed that in the OP. That is certainly not drunk. And I’d have to answer differently if I used that criteria. I’ve been drunk probably more times than I could count...but “impaired”, would be a much much higher number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships