Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 01:33 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times

Advertisements

I have two friends, who are a couple that invite me out the movies and I go with them. A lot of times they want to see the VIP showing of a movie, instead of the regular showing. With the VIP showing you get a more comfortable seat and you can drink alcohol.

But it's 14 dollars more than the regular ticket price, and I think that really is a rip off, just so you can by alcoholic drinks on top of that. Even if the seats are more comfortable, the ones they have in the regular theater are fine for me for a two hour length average movie.

Plus the one time I tried the VIP, the seats vibrated with the movie at certain times, when exciting things happened, but I didn't like that and found it distracting. Not sure if all the seats are like that though, but I assume they are.

So I just find it to be a rip off, and will talk my friends out of it, asking if it's okay I just pay regular price, especially since I'm only working part time at the moment. But do you think my friends think I am cheap perhaps though, when they aske me out to the movies? I asked my gf cause she is invited with me but she says she doesn't want to pay an extra 14 either. Or she doesn't want me to pay an extra 14 for her, since I pay for her sometimes. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 01:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
No one here can tell you what your friends think.

I think it's a waste of money, too.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
True, I guess what I was asking more so, is does anyone here think I'm being cheap, by persuading them to compromise a little, when they ask me, if I want to see a movie?

Old 03-30-2019, 01:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,754 times
Hi ironpony --

No, you are not a cheapskate if you chose to just go to the regular movie. There are all types of people out there, including some who spend their money frivolously and live beyond their means. I would just tell your friends that you are fine with going to the regular movie, and make arrangements to do that. If they do not agree, just go to the movies with your girlfriend and skip the other couple.

Do not let so-called friends talk you into spending beyond your means. When the bill comes in the mail, you are the one who will be paying it. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
An extra 14 bucks is a big deal????? You said you have tons of money to blow, your friends know this.

Why only working PT?

Old 03-30-2019, 01:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Just bc you have money does not obligate you to throw it away.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I have two friends, who are a couple that invite me out the movies and I go with them. A lot of times they want to see the VIP showing of a movie, instead of the regular showing. With the VIP showing you get a more comfortable seat and you can drink alcohol.

But it's 14 dollars more than the regular ticket price, and I think that really is a rip off, just so you can by alcoholic drinks on top of that. Even if the seats are more comfortable, the ones they have in the regular theater are fine for me for a two hour length average movie.

Plus the one time I tried the VIP, the seats vibrated with the movie at certain times, when exciting things happened, but I didn't like that and found it distracting. Not sure if all the seats are like that though, but I assume they are.

So I just find it to be a rip off, and will talk my friends out of it, asking if it's okay I just pay regular price, especially since I'm only working part time at the moment. But do you think my friends think I am cheap perhaps though, when they aske me out to the movies? I asked my gf cause she is invited with me but she says she doesn't want to pay an extra 14 either. Or she doesn't want me to pay an extra 14 for her, since I pay for her sometimes. What do you think?
That's kind of how life works.

You pay more for life experiences than they're worth.

Where I am at, the AMC Dine in is about $14, and the AMC regular is about $11. The difference is worth it to be able to drink a beer yes. And also, sometimes we eat dinner and drink beer, and watch a movie, so ... all in one. Very convenient.

Also, a night at AMC Dine-In is just about the cheapest night I can think of. If you want me to tell you the tales of the nights I used to go bar/lounge/ hopping/karaoke in NYC until the wee mornings, I can tell you how much THOSE night used to cost. I would wake up in the mornings and be in shock at how much was put on my credit card.

Some people might say that was a waste of $. But to me, it was well worth it. So, it all depends on your perspective.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
True, I guess what I was asking more so, is does anyone here think I'm being cheap, by persuading them to compromise a little, when they ask me, if I want to see a movie?
I don't think a $14 difference would be worth that.

But like I said, where I'm at the difference is like 3-4 dollars I think depending on the feature.

And I do think that if you steered your friends away from wanting to watch and drink beers for 3-4 dollars, that is cheap.

Check out AMC Dine-In. The difference is less.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:40 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,201,883 times
No, you're not being cheap. We all have to decide where and how to spend what money we have. Some people buy a fancy coffee at Starbucks every day and others brew Maxwell House at home. One is not inherently "better" than the other.

Maybe you could consider doing it "their way" once in awhile IF the movie is something you would consider to be an event.

If they insist to do it their way each time, you have to make the decision whether it's worth it to you to be in their company.

But not wanting to spend your money like that does not make you cheap. IF they think you're cheap, you have no control over it.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:53 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I wouldn't want to spend that and don't see the value being worth the cost personally but
people have different ways they like to enjoy their hard earned money, so who am I to say? I don't think you're cheap at all though.

If these really are good friends, do you think you could have an honest talk with them about this?
Even if they think there's a good value in it, not everyone sees it that way and some people just simply have very different budgets for entertainment. CatzPaw was leading you on the right track and you really do have to have compromise in any type of friendship. Compromise and honest communication. If they are really good friends, they'll understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships