Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 09:23 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Equally, it might apply if one was sending a particular religious stamp to a person of another religion in a non censorship country.
I don't even understand that at all. If my Jewish friends send me a letter with a Jewish-themed stamp and I know they're Jewish, why would that be offensive? LOL, why wouldn't they buy stamps that they like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Nothing, just as there’s nothing wrong with pink hearts for breast cancer. But some people feel funny putting a heart stamp on a letter to their attorney or their accountant
. I can see men not wanting to use heart stamps no matter what they symbolize.
A purple heart is different than pink hearts for any other reason, and I don't think they're inappropriate for professional correspondence. It's recognition of those injured in service to their country. The fact that it features a heart doesn't make it whimsical or silly.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Just get the generic USA flag stamps if you're concerned about this. Or something like Disney or animal stamps.
That's the flag of the Oppressor! Kidding...

If someone were offended by the choice of stamp, they are likely nuts to begin with. Nothing you can do about it.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
People really do spend a lot of time picking out stamps at the post office. There is a lot of thought that goes into this for some reason. I just kind of take whatever they hand me but I have seen others look through books and mull over the decision for a good ten minutes (always wonderful to be in a long line behind someone doing this.) Maybe there's more meaningful signaling than happens with a postage stamp than I ever gave any thought to.

I look at what they have as I like cute ones, but my post office rarely has any good ones.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:26 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
A purple heart is different than pink hearts for any other reason, and I don't think they're inappropriate for professional correspondence. It's recognition of those injured in service to their country. The fact that it features a heart doesn't make it whimsical or silly.
I understand that, but maybe some people feel differently.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't even understand that at all. If my Jewish friends send me a letter with a Jewish-themed stamp and I know they're Jewish, why would that be offensive? LOL, why wouldn't they buy stamps that they like?

Well, things vary and having spent part of my childhood in Saudi Arabia, where we were not allowed an established church, where our service was held on Friday, where "the church" was kept in a closet in the ARAMCO auditorium, "rolled out" for the service and then put back in the closet after we were done .......

................... I can see how a Muslim might be offended if I placed a religious Christmas stamp on the letter......................

....................assuming, mind you, that the Saudi censors didn't totally black out the stamp or even cut it off the letter first.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is it possible for someone to be offended by the choice of postage stamps you use on an envelope or package? For example, if one were to mail out a letter with an Alzheimer's stamp on it and someone in the recipients family was afflicted with it, would that unwittingly impose sorrow upon the recipient? Likewise, if one mailed a letter with a stamp of a politician or activist the recipient didn't agree with ideologically, would the recipient be offended and form a negative impression of the sender? Do you all mail letters with holiday themed postage to people you are unsure whether or not they celebrate the holiday?
Unfortunately, it's possible for people to be offended by ANYTHING. I choose stamps carefully - not from fear of offending people, but I just don't like themes of war or illness on my stamps. But don't worry about it. The only thing I think people should avoid is using a juvenile stamp to send a serious letter.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Currently I am offended by the American flag stamps. At this point it would be better to just exchange the flag for a clown. We certainly have become a joke around the world

Old 04-06-2019, 01:13 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Currently I am offended by the American flag stamps. At this point it would be better to just exchange the flag for a clown. We certainly have become a joke around the world
That's why people from all over the world still want to move here.

Only an idiot would be offended by a stamp.

Who could possibly think the lawyer or banker looks at a stamp before they open mail.

I can't remember any of the stamps I received recently.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:42 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
I looooooove my newest stamps. I don't use stamps much anymore, but when I order them online, I take my time going through and choosing. "NERD alert!!!" My previous ones showed different versions from an "ice cream parlor." I do worry about posting them on sympathy cards, etc.

But wait, listen, for other "stampophiles" (is that a word?), my newest thrill is the ice cream treats that are "scratch-n-sniff."

I'm such a bonehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships