U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 AM

8,586 posts, read 18,927,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is it possible for someone to be offended by the choice of postage stamps you use on an envelope or package? For example, if one were to mail out a letter with an Alzheimer's stamp on it and someone in the recipients family was afflicted with it, would that unwittingly impose sorrow upon the recipient? Likewise, if one mailed a letter with a stamp of a politician or activist the recipient didn't agree with ideologically, would the recipient be offended and form a negative impression of the sender? Do you all mail letters with holiday themed postage to people you are unsure whether or not they celebrate the holiday?
Iíve never given it a thought and doubt that normal senseable people donít either. But Iím sure thereís a snowflake or two who would
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 AM

9,657 posts, read 4,904,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Nope, some sports figures don't like the flag.
Not true.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 AM

5,369 posts, read 2,241,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Just ask for the boring flag stamps. They've been around forever, and don't feature a person or scene or agenda. Can't get any more neutral than that...

So we're now having to tiptoe around other people possibly being offended by postage stamps, which are themselves incredibly innocuous? Hell, there are people who are offended by the gratuitous display of the American flag, too. I guess we just need to have generic stamps with the word STAMP printed on a white background. Heck, omit the 'Forever' from it too, while we're at it. Because it implies that, even if the sun goes nova, this stamp is still going to be good for use.

Hey, I am a moderate person in speech. I watch my words. I reject racism, sexism, ageism, and prejudice against religious faith and just about everything else on the planet. But this has gotten beyond ridiculous. I am tired of accommodating fractious public scolds who are less interested in achieving tolerance and more about looking for the slightest pretext to adopt a posture.

Of course, the OP never actually stated that he/she encountered someone offended by postage stamps. Because the scenario is ridiculous beyond belief.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-03-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 AM

12,116 posts, read 10,250,248 times
If someone is offended by a postage stamp they will be constantly offended at the world around them. I'd distance myself from these people, whether they are family, (ex) friends, or whatever.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM

20,308 posts, read 16,477,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So we're now having to tiptoe around other people possibly being offended by postage stamps, which are themselves incredibly innocuous? Hell, there are people who are offended by the gratuitous display of the American flag, too. I guess we just need to have generic stamps with the word STAMP printed on a white background. Heck, omit the 'Forever' from it too, while we're at it. Because it implies that, even if the sun goes nova, this stamp is still going to be good for use.

Hey, I am a moderate person in speech. I watch my words. I reject racism, sexism, ageism, and prejudice against religious faith and just about everything else on the planet. But this has gotten beyond ridiculous. I am tired of accommodating fractious public scolds who are less interested in achieving tolerance and more about looking for the slightest pretext to adopt a posture.

Of course, the OP never actually stated that he/she encountered someone offended by postage stamps. Because the scenario is ridiculous beyond belief.

Who said we have to tiptoe around? OP simply asked if people would be offended. I don't think anyone on this thread said they would be.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM

28,140 posts, read 39,753,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
No. People in over sensitized Western societies are increasingly offended, hence the original post.
And other people are over sensitized about those they consider to be over sensitized. As a result we get inane postings.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:38 AM

5,369 posts, read 2,241,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who said we have to tiptoe around? OP simply asked if people would be offended. I don't think anyone on this thread said they would be.

I was referring the previous poster's solution that we only buy flag stamps to avoid the problem. Where is the fun in that?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:50 AM

9,657 posts, read 4,904,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Colin Kapernick is an Amercian citizen exercising the rights all citizens have. Exercising the rights people have died trying to protect. If anything is un-American, it's calling someone un-American for exercising his rights as a citizen.
Not to mention that he has no problem with the flag itself. People seem to think that the athletes have a problem with the flag, and they're completely missing the point.

But of course, people are going to believe what they want to believe. Not what's actually true.

Now back to stamps.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM

843 posts, read 2,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I agree 100% with your comments. Thankfully, I haven't encountered a situation where someone was offended by postage stamps.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM

752 posts, read 177,608 times
all they need to know is that you didn't get to choose the stamp, if you were just handed one at the post office. they can call the post office and complain to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships