Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

I prefer to use the flag stamps, because I figure they're about as inoffensive as possible. (Except for people who hate America, but I try not to have any contact with people like that.) For Christmas, I get the Madonna and Child stamps because they most closely reflect my own beliefs about the holiday. I use them for all recipients, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof. Everyone to whom I'm sending Christmas cards already knows what my religion is, so they shouldn't be surprised to see it reflected on the stamp. If anyone has ever gotten offended by this, they've not let on.

Related to this, I've gotten a bunch of return-address labels over the years from various interest groups to whom I've donated. Most of them are pretty benign, so I'll use them for whomever. One set was cutesy-love themed, and they don't really feel appropriate to send to platonic friends; so I use them when I send cards to my nieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:25 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have a couple sheets of Star Trek stamps that I'm using. I wish they had a stamp with the green chick (played by Susan Oliver).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2QvmWLT4s

Nope, you've got your Orion slave girls mixed up. That's Yvonne Craig, from the Star Trek episode Whom Gods Destroy.

Susan Oliver was the original Orion slave girl for Capt. Pike in the pilot episode,The Cage (later The Menagerie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ScBLv7i4g

Old 04-02-2019, 01:34 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Just ask for the boring flag stamps. They've been around forever, and don't feature a person or scene or agenda. Can't get any more neutral than that...

Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is it possible for someone to be offended by the choice of postage stamps you use on an envelope or package? For example, if one were to mail out a letter with an Alzheimer's stamp on it and someone in the recipients family was afflicted with it, would that unwittingly impose sorrow upon the recipient? Likewise, if one mailed a letter with a stamp of a politician or activist the recipient didn't agree with ideologically, would the recipient be offended and form a negative impression of the sender? Do you all mail letters with holiday themed postage to people you are unsure whether or not they celebrate the holiday?
If youre looking to mail letters with Trump stamps, you might have issues with recipients.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:30 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Is it possible for someone to be offended by the choice of postage stamps you use on an envelope or package? For example, if one were to mail out a letter with an Alzheimer's stamp on it and someone in the recipients family was afflicted with it, would that unwittingly impose sorrow upon the recipient? Likewise, if one mailed a letter with a stamp of a politician or activist the recipient didn't agree with ideologically, would the recipient be offended and form a negative impression of the sender? Do you all mail letters with holiday themed postage to people you are unsure whether or not they celebrate the holiday?
I don’t yhink most people think much about them either way to be honest. I get whatever stamps the post office has when I need stamps. Right now they say “Love”, assuming that’s not offensive lol.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
I have long enjoyed postage stamps. Current ones I put on envelopes, although the historic are interesting too.

I used to send many more cards and letters and match stamps with stationary color.

Stamps with season and with holiday...of course.

And I do avoid the potentially controversial ones. I send some cards with mythical/cartoon character stamps for grandchildren/young friends birthdays that match their birthday party theme. Pooh for the "pooh party", etc.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:19 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Do they put politicians on stamps?

Old 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Mailing letters offends me.
The price of stamps is my biggest gripe.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:07 PM

838 posts, read 554,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Do they put politicians on stamps?
Yes...but only if they are dead. Like Santa and Mickey.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If you are offended by the politics of someone on a stamp, it’s time to give it up and let go. Every person on a US stamp is dead.
That used to be true, but no longer is. Google it and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.npr.org/2011/09/26/14080...for-first-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How are personalized stamps not a thing by now? I want to put my face on all my mailings.

They are! You can order stamps with just about anything you want on them. I've done it before - many times.

https://www.usps.com/ship/custom-mail-stamps.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships