U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM

3,870 posts, read 1,968,427 times

Advertisements

My mother used to call that attitude "snotty", but that would be considered a crude term today, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 AM

3,773 posts, read 1,593,842 times
Insecure.
They're so worried that they've made the wrong choice that they put down all other options.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:28 PM

6,164 posts, read 2,225,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I was watching an old movie the other day and one character described something to another who replied "oh how droll that you still do (xyz)." This was said in a kind tone but was definitely a put down.

I know someone who does this a lot. A friend sent her a listing for a house she was looking at buying and her response was "oh dear, basements are so scary and quaint! We just don't have them here. And look! A bathroom with a tub! How interesting!" If anyone talks about weather changes she will say "I just don't know how you do it it. So robust! I would love to visit but I positively can't take temperatures under 70." (She lives in Florida.)

What would you call this? Virtue signaling? Passive aggressivity? I'm searching for a term and I just can't think of the right one.

I'd call it the back-handed compliment. And yeah, it's passive aggressive.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 PM

781 posts, read 419,411 times
It sounds like the person is more highly opinionated with her choices and preferences being deemed by her as superior. She's a one upper. It's like, "Oh, you're having spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner? That's quite a filling meal! Oh my, I never eat pasta! Adds too much to my waistline. It's only protein and veggies for me." Or "You've gotten a new Porsche? Oh dear, I don't know how you aren't worried all the time driving in that with all the crazy drivers today. With my old sedan, I never worry about dents or scratches!"

Maybe it's not so much passive aggressive, but just more Mother Superior looking down her spectacles with her way of doing things being the right or best way. She throws a little dig in to knock the other person down in the process.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:17 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,854,072 times
Quote:
Haha there's an element of that for sure.

I think patronizing is closest but there's also an element of the individual being too fine and delicate to live with the things that many people see as normal like a basement or a bathtub. And sort of mild shock that anyone might see things differently. Maybe I need to coin a new term.
It does sound generally like she's attempting to be condescending and patronizing, but I would say she's unsuccessful in the attempt, because basements are actually highly desirable and most places do have them (except in places like Florida and some parts of California) due to issues with the land itself. And most people do want a bathtub in at least one of the bathrooms even if they themselves don't usually take baths. So, I would say she's attempting to be patronizing, but is actually sheltered, naive, unworldly and ignorant.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:48 PM

6,164 posts, read 2,225,964 times
Quote:
Yes I agree but there's also an element of superiority or at least specialness that she implies she has that others don't. I know there's got to be a term. I can't put my finger on it. There's always this "well that's fine for you but no way I'd even be caught dead living that way" undertone.

Princess?

Old 04-05-2019, 04:15 PM

781 posts, read 419,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Princess?
I'm picturing Mrs. Bucket (Bue-que')!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGt-...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Chloe333; 04-05-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 04:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,159,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I'm picturing Mrs. Bucket (Bue-que')!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGt-...ature=youtu.be
Kind of but with Blanche DuBois and a little Kim Kardashian thrown in.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:47 PM

13,355 posts, read 6,556,367 times
Quote:
Yes I agree but there's also an element of superiority or at least specialness that she implies she has that others don't. I know there's got to be a term. I can't put my finger on it. There's always this "well that's fine for you but no way I'd even be caught dead living that way" undertone.
Right, she might as well just say that straight out. I like basements, btw. We don't have them much where I live, water tables or something, but I like them. Storage, a bonus room. Shelter from storms.....

Old 04-05-2019, 04:51 PM

13,355 posts, read 6,556,367 times
Quote:
Haha there's an element of that for sure.

I think patronizing is closest but there's also an element of the individual being too fine and delicate to live with the things that many people see as normal like a basement or a bathtub. And sort of mild shock that anyone might see things differently. Maybe I need to coin a new term.
A lot of people do prefer the shower only thing. Some people have -0- interest in ever taking a bath. Some think you don't come out much cleaner, wallowing in water one has dirtied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or