Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 03:36 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

I was watching an old movie the other day and one character described something to another who replied "oh how droll that you still do (xyz)." This was said in a kind tone but was definitely a put down.

I know someone who does this a lot. A friend sent her a listing for a house she was looking at buying and her response was "oh dear, basements are so scary and quaint! We just don't have them here. And look! A bathroom with a tub! How interesting!" If anyone talks about weather changes she will say "I just don't know how you do it it. So robust! I would love to visit but I positively can't take temperatures under 70." (She lives in Florida.)

What would you call this? Virtue signaling? Passive aggressivity? I'm searching for a term and I just can't think of the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 03:42 PM

356 posts, read 175,885 times
Small talk?

Or are you looking for something more sinister to put her down?

Old 04-04-2019, 03:55 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
Subtle, passive-aggressive naysaying. She's subtly putting things down in a way that seems nice on the surface. She probably doesn't realize she's being that way. Some people think they're being happy and normal but they have an inherently negative mindset that infects everything they say and do, and most of them aren't aware of it.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
bless her heart.
works here.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Subtle, passive-aggressive naysaying. She's subtly putting things down in a way that seems nice on the surface. She probably doesn't realize she's being that way. Some people think they're being happy and normal but they have an inherently negative mindset that infects everything they say and do, and most of them aren't aware of it.
Yes I agree but there's also an element of superiority or at least specialness that she implies she has that others don't. I know there's got to be a term. I can't put my finger on it. There's always this "well that's fine for you but no way I'd even be caught dead living that way" undertone.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Sounds like a backhanded compliment to me.

Certainly passive aggressive.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes I agree but there's also an element of superiority or at least specialness that she implies she has that others don't. I know there's got to be a term. I can't put my finger on it. There's always this "well that's fine for you but no way I'd even be caught dead living that way" undertone.
Yes! I know the exact vibe you're talking about. I've experienced a lot of people like this.

Reminds me of a woman in a grocery store who came up to me a couple years ago and said: "Pink hair! WOW. How interesting. I'd feel so stupid with hair like that! You're brave!"

Old 04-04-2019, 04:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
What everyone else said, plus she sounds a bit "long of tooth".

Old 04-04-2019, 04:23 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Sounds like a backhanded compliment to me.

Certainly passive aggressive.

I think a character in the Bridget Jones book called it "jellyfishing" A comment that on the surface seems soft and harmless, but underneath there's poison tentacles.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:35 PM

356 posts, read 175,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
See in some ways I think it's the opposite. They are somewhat envious that you can go with the flow about some things so they falsely build you up so they don't feel bad. But it's a form of patronizing, IMHO. There's nothing superhero-ish or unique about living in a house with a basement, but she makes it seem that way so she doesn't have to reveal her fear of basements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships