Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 08:02 AM

938 posts, read 446,521 times

Advertisements

My thirty-six year old brother is a bum. He lives at/off my parents, refuses to work, does and sells drugs and acts and lives like a teenager.

He doesn't do anything to help out around the house and doesn't even take care of his own daughter. He's a real p***k. Since my wife and I live up the street, we have the pleasure of watching him bring junkies/derelicts in and out of my parent's house. I've given up on worrying about that, too, as my father says to "ignore it." My mom is in a fantasy land and refuses to believe that one of these 'friends' of his could possibly pull a home invasion.

On top of all that, he has a nasty disposition and thinks anybody who works for a living is a 'fool' and we're all just 'jealous.' Yeah, OK ...

I've given up on him and want nothing to do with him.

I told him "I'm not going to be able to help you when mommy and daddy are gone." They're 78 and 80, respectively. He says "I don't need you."
He thinks he's getting the house, which, much to my chagrin, he just might. Either way, I figure he'll end up homeless or dead.

My question: How did people you know - who lived like my brother - wind up?

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 04-05-2019 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 08:56 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I've given up on worrying about that, too, as my father says to "ignore it." My mom is in a fantasy land and refuses to believe that one of these 'friends' of his could possibly pull a home invasion. He thinks he's getting the house, which, much to my chagrin, he just might.
My sympathies. Your mother is one of those desperate people who are in love with their loser child. "I can't kick him out, he neeeds me!"

I used to watch a cousin manipulate his mother, my aunt. She tried to resist but ultimately always gave him what he demanded. Your brother's right: It's so much easier than working for a living where people actually, you know, expect you to do stuff.

Quote:
My cousin ended up dead, as did a grandchild my aunt enabled.

I wish someone would slap some sense into these parents.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
My ex husband's brother was a lot like what you've described. Honestly, I thought he'd die a long long time ago, but he's still ticking.

He DID get his mother's house. The house that was supposed to be sold, and the profit to be split between the 5 grandkids. Well, that never happened.

He's alone...for the most part. He was married...until he left his infant son in the house alone, so he could buy 'cigarettes'. Wife came home, and baby was sitting in front of TV in a pumpkin seat. This AFTER he was arrested for selling cocaine to a cop and so forth and so on.

The man is 66 now. From what I gather through the grape vine, he's a joke. He thinks he's still a party boy, and he goes back and forth between Florida and Illinois.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
A relative of mine got their crap together after living the drug filled teenage lifestyle. Then that relative slipped off and went back into their old ways. She used her position as a nurse at a well known hospital in the Phoenix metro to gain access to where all of the narcotic pain killers were stored and stole a bunch over the course of 2 years. She had been using and selling what she stole. She was eventually found out, lost her job, and sent to prison.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My sympathies. Your mother is one of those desperate people who are in love with their loser child. "I can't kick him out, he neeeds me!"

I wish someone would slap some sense into these parents.
My mother no longer gives him money or lets him use the car (he tore up every vehicle he ever had).

She weighed throwing him out, but apparently it's tough to get somebody out of your house where they're getting their mail. He knows his rights.

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 04-05-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 04-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

He DID get his mother's house. The house that was supposed to be sold, and the profit to be split between the 5 grandkids. Well, that never happened.

There's four of us and my mom said everything (it's not that much) would be split evenly ... but she's also said "You have houses, he doesn't."
My main worry is that the house will someday become a full-blown drug house.

It's messed up - I'm the guy sweeping up the block, keeping it clean - and he's selling drugs out of the front corner door. I almost went up there with a gun back in January ... Since then I've hit reset and I don't get involved or talk about it. This is my outlet.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 AM

290 posts, read 250,152 times
Quote:

I have a cousin like that. He did OK and wound up in a gated community with meals and healthcare provided. One minor drawback -- the guards won't let him leave.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
i have a cousin like that. He did ok and wound up in a gated community with meals and healthcare provided. One minor drawback -- the guards won't let him leave.
hahaha!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:56 AM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:
My thirty-six year old brother is a bum. He lives at/off my parents, refuses to work, does and sells drugs and acts and lives like a teenager.

He doesn't do anything to help out around the house and doesn't even take care of his own daughter. He's a real p***k. Since my wife and I live up the street, we have the pleasure of watching him bring junkies/derelicts in and out of my parent's house. I've given up on worrying about that, too, as my father says to "ignore it." My mom is in a fantasy land and refuses to believe that one of these 'friends' of his could possibly pull a home invasion.

On top of all that, he has a nasty disposition and thinks anybody who works for a living is a 'fool' and we're all just 'jealous.' Yeah, OK ...

I've given up on him and want nothing to do with him.

I told him "I'm not going to be able to help you when mommy and daddy are gone." They're 78 and 80, respectively. He says "I don't need you."
He thinks he's getting the house, which, much to my chagrin, he just might. Either way, I figure he'll end up homeless or dead.

Call the police and tell them to sneak up on the house (no lights or sirens.) Let them catch him and his "friends" with drugs. Anonymously. Over and over and over.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
The difference between him and the bums begging for drug money is he has a support system to keep him off the streets. How long that lasts is anyone's guess. I have a cousin like this and the last remaining parent has limited time remaining. We all wonder how it will turn out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships