U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 05:36 PM

808 posts, read 216,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Just because someone has a different opinion then yours doesn’t make them toxic.
Taking care of your body isn't a matter of opinion. If someone has self-destructive behaviors and doesn't care about the pain those behaviors cause the people they love, I'd consider that highly toxic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 05:43 PM

356 posts, read 81,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Taking care of your body isn't a matter of opinion. If someone has self-destructive behaviors and doesn't care about the pain those behaviors cause the people they love, I'd consider that highly toxic.
How's this criteria working out for your social life?

Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
How's this criteria working out for your social life?
Great! As I said in my other post, almost all my friends are into healthy eating, working out, yoga, etc.

Not sure what you're implying but it's not difficult at all to meet people who are into health.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Great! As I said in my other post, almost all my friends are into healthy eating, working out, yoga, etc.

Not sure what you're implying but it's not difficult at all to meet people who are into health.
Interesting. Speaking of 'other posts' some would suggest otherwise.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about how I'm a loner? Being a loner doesn't mean you have no friends. I talked in a recent thread about how I wish there were more people I could click with. I was not referring to this topic. Finding friends who are into health IS easy. Finding friends who are into health who also click with you on other levels, not so much.

Either way, I'm happy with the friends I have. I wish we all lived in one city so we could hang out, however.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:00 PM

23,305 posts, read 8,080,802 times
I grew up without all the social media and the way my grandkids are growing up and as I've aged I find thru my experiences that quality is way ahead of quantity in all areas, not just foods. People are forever changing and maybe down the road my grandgirl will leave the vegan world. I have mixed thoughts about that and grew up with beef and pork and have no issues eating the cows beef. We did not grow up eating dogs and horses, etc.

I was going to post in the diet area about vegan eating, but changed my mind. I have not seen much of my grandgirl since she's at university for 4 yrs and soon finished but saw her recently and honest to goodness I believe she is heavier on the vegan diet since she's off meats and eats a lot more carbs and fruits etc. Hope she's not harming herself. I know another topic.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-07-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Look at it this way: If someone else was hurting your friend, that'd upset you, right?

So why are we okay with people harming themselves?

I'm not at all saying people have to eat perfectly. You don't have to eat or be perfect to be healthy. I thought this thread was about severe self-destructive behaviors like we see on the show "My 600-pound life" or something. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I have many friends who are overweight and working on themselves. What I care about is that they're trying to better themselves. What I don't want to be around is someone who truly doesn't give a crap about their health and has basically given up. It would cause me too much pain to see that.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:18 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,151,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I honestly don't really care about how other people eat however if they can't put 2 and 2 together and figure out that their poor eating habits plays a part in being sick often and list of medical ailments then I tend to limit my interactions with them.

Eating healthy may not cure what is ailing you but can lessen the symptoms and higher likelihood of living a longer lifespan.

What I mean by "poor eating habits" is eating fast food literally everyday, rarely eating any fruits and vegetables, and eating mostly junk/snack food that don't offer much nutritional value.

It's hard for me to want to listen to their stories of medical woes when they choose to eat poorly and don't want to help themselves by eating healthier.

Honestly, something like this just came up. I met a person who says that she likes "good food", but constantly asks me to go to Arby's, Perkins, Waffle House, chain pizza places, and low end buffets with her.

We have a few things in common, art and movies. She ruins movies by ordering disgustingly large buckets of popcorn slathered with that fake yellow grease and Twizlers and something chocolate.
Though out the movie she is AS or MORE interested in the food as she is in the movie.
Asking me "Want some?" I keep whispering "no thank you". Over and over again. It does not seem to sick in.

I must sound terrible, but I find it disgusting.

Finally, I told her that I just do not eat in those places. My husband and I were going to a nice brunch place and we asked her to join us once. She declined. I think she likes quantity.

I also had a friend back in NY who was a college professor. She was, as you would expect, very smart and witty. She was, however, a member of Overeaters Anonymous. Eating with her, I frequently felt like "the third wheel" - as though she and her food were making love and I was watching.

It got to the point where it was just too disgusting. I lost my appetite.

It's easier for me to be friends with someone who has a healthy relationship with food and puts some thought into what they consume.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 PM

6,091 posts, read 1,805,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Would you be close friends with someone with poor eating habits?
Plenty of folks have poor eating habits and are in perfect shape, it's called having a fast metabolism.

However if you have poor eating habits with a slow metabolism, and you don't workout to burn those excess calories, then you will become fat very quickly.

I would not be close friends with someone who is fat. They can't even eat the right food so imagine the crap they will serve to their kids.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:32 PM

I'm reminded of my "cast the first stone" lesson from years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships