U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 03:28 PM

3,684 posts, read 2,169,827 times

Advertisements

I stopped doing Halloween when I stated seeing minivans full of kids from out of town. Plus all the commotion would stress out the cats. And whatever didn't get given away was left for me to eat and I really don't need that.

Now I just buy a couple of pieces half price the week after

Old 04-13-2019, 03:32 PM

7,098 posts, read 6,507,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

How does he know who the non-neighborhood kids are? Just curious.

Some people love those wasabi coated peas.

It's the law that little kids around here must always be chaperoned by their parents or a big brother or sister on Halloween night. So even if the little kids are costumed and masked he still knows if they're neighbourhood kids because he recognizes their chaperones. He's the kind of guy that always makes a point of knowing exactly who all his neighbours are. If he doesn't recognize the kids or their chaperones he's not afraid to ask the kids or chaperones who they are or where they came from before he hands out either tricks or treats.

I love those wasabi coated peas too. He got the idea for them because his big mean old Rottweiler loves those peas too and performs some pretty wild tricks to get them. The dog's tricks inspired him to hand out the garlic, onions and wasabi peas as a trick instead of a treat. He has a bit of a warped sense of humour as well as a suspicious nature about strangers using Halloween as an excuse to case neighbourhoods, but no harm done.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,021,002 times
Hand out Dots. I always hated getting them as a kid. I am convinced they are made out of plastic. Seriously, go to the discount store or scratch-and-dent grocery store and buy the cheapest candy you can find.

I have the opposite problem. There is a library, fire station, and school within walking distance and they ALL have Halloween parties for the kids. I got one visitor last year.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 5,035,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That's what I do, too. I drop the candy in their open bag/bucket so they never get more than one piece.

Some neighborhoods have "private trick or treating hours" that are just for their neighborhood. For example, a nearby neighborhood has trick or treating Halloween night from 5 to 7 PM when the city trick or treat hours are Sunday from 1 to 4PM. On Sunday none of the people in that neighborhood have their porch lights on (signifying that they are giving candy) so they only give candy to kids in their neighborhood.
This is what I was going to suggest. If your neighborhood is feeling the onslaught of people coming from other places, get together and plan to do trick or treat the night before Halloween. Then on Halloween have folks do an informal neighborhood watch, to let newcomers know they missed the party.

When my kids were trick-or-treat age I knew all the kids in the neighborhood. mine went to a small elementary school within walking distance.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:46 PM

9,129 posts, read 3,537,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Hand out Dots. I always hated getting them as a kid. I am convinced they are made out of plastic..
I would have loved you if you had given me a box of Dots.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,021,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I would have loved you if you had given me a box of Dots.
Oh, you can have ALL of mine!! lol.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM

16,888 posts, read 17,196,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That's what I do, too. I drop the candy in their open bag/bucket so they never get more than one piece.

Some neighborhoods have "private trick or treating hours" that are just for their neighborhood. For example, a nearby neighborhood has trick or treating Halloween night from 5 to 7 PM when the city trick or treat hours are Sunday from 1 to 4PM. On Sunday none of the people in that neighborhood have their porch lights on (signifying that they are giving candy) so they only give candy to kids in their neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Who stands around judging who is welcome or not duri g these private events? Does the application process start in April? Is english speaking necessary?
The events are private because they are advertised with closed Facebook groups or with flyers door to door and they are held at times other than the city wide trick or treat hours. So, if you don't live in the neighborhood you don't know the date or time. Also, in small neighborhoods you know many/most of your neighbors though block parties, neighborhood associations or your kids go to school together.

My large apartment complex has "private" trick or treat hours and I was surprised at how many people I recognized from walking their dogs or their kids playing on the complex playground or at the pool. Many people also introduced themselves by saying "We live on Elm/Maple/Sycamore Court"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This would only work in communities that regulate trick-or-treating hours. Such a thing is unheard-of in every place I've lived. Trick-or-treat is on Halloween night, period, whatever day of the week that might be.
And were you serious about "Sunday from 1 to 4"? Trick-or-treating in the middle of the afternoon, in daylight, is just not right!

Almost all Wisconsin communities have Sunday (or Saturday) afternoon trick or treat hours since a little girl was kidnapped and murdered while trick or treating Halloween night in 1973. It has only been in recent years that a few communities have trick or treating at night (usually 4 to 6PM or maybe 5 to 7PM)

Old 04-13-2019, 03:56 PM

1,612 posts, read 736,087 times
I lived in a "destination" neighborhood for a number of years; we had hundreds of kids. I never had this problem. Everybody got some candy until it was gone. When it was trickling down to the opportunist older kids without costumes, it was time to close shop. I don't recall any strong-arming adults. Ever.

It seems to me you have two choices: 1) As noted by others, YOU control the one or two pieces of candy allotted and don't offer a bowl to anyone; or, 2) Shut it down and don't participate. Turn off the porch lights and go out for the evening or hang out in the back of the house until trick or treat hours have expired.

If you enjoy the tradition, keep the treats close to you: You control the output. No grabbers.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:58 PM

21,001 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
The last couple years, we've kept the treat bowl on a console table in the front hall. When we've handed out individual treats -- one per child, and there are usually quite a few children -- these parents grab the treats from our hands, and sometimes hold out their hands for more or point to other kids or Grandma. They make it clear they want numerous treats for each child and adult. Also, the out-of-neighborhood people come early and stay late, so it's becoming increasingly hard for the local kids to get their treats.
I have to admit that I have a hard time suspending disbelief on this. I live in a very family friendly neighborhood and get around 400 trick or treaters every year (a little less in bad weather, a little more when it's nice out). That includes lots of families who come from out of the area because my neighborhood is known for being the prime place to come - there are sidewalks and street lights and houses are very close together so there are roughly 10-15 houses on one side of a block and the majority of people participate in handing out treats. There are actually more people than that, because while I am happy to hand out candy to anyone who wants it, adult or child (especially if they are in costume but I don't say no either way) the majority of adults say no thanks anyway, so I'm probably interacting with more like 600+ people even if I'm not giving out candy to a lot of them.

With these hundreds of people every year, I have never, ever had someone grab candy from my hand esp. if I was holding it in a closed hand, getting ready to drop it into someone's candy bag. I'm not even sure how that works - do they pry your hand open to take the candy?

So yeah, I'm a bit skeptical on this.

But in any case, my recommendation is to stop giving out candy. Not to stop participating in Halloween but to give out stickers and temporary tattoos and glow sticks and things that make little kids happy but that adults who want free candy won't care about. That should resolve the issue of these supposedly grabby adults taking all the candy. I always keep a separate bucket of that stuff anyway, specifically for kids with allergies, but plenty of non-allergy kids choose a little toy or tattoo instead of candy

Old 04-13-2019, 05:53 PM

63 posts, read 18,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's the law that little kids around here must always be chaperoned by their parents or a big brother or sister on Halloween night. So even if the little kids are costumed and masked he still knows if they're neighbourhood kids because he recognizes their chaperones. He's the kind of guy that always makes a point of knowing exactly who all his neighbours are. If he doesn't recognize the kids or their chaperones he's not afraid to ask the kids or chaperones who they are or where they came from before he hands out either tricks or treats.

I love those wasabi coated peas too. He got the idea for them because his big mean old Rottweiler loves those peas too and performs some pretty wild tricks to get them. The dog's tricks inspired him to hand out the garlic, onions and wasabi peas as a trick instead of a treat. He has a bit of a warped sense of humour as well as a suspicious nature about strangers using Halloween as an excuse to case neighbourhoods, but no harm done.

We recognize our adult neighbors and sometimes their babysitter/older sibling chaperones. Neighbors who live two streets over report a much lower incidence of freeloaders, because a sheriff's deputy who lives on that street parks his official vehicle in plain sight on Halloween night.

Your wasabi-onion neighbor sounds hilarious, Zoisite -- and cautious. I never thought of Halloween as an occasion to case out places. What tricks does his Rottweiler do to get the coveted wasabi peas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships