U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:17 PM

12,403 posts, read 7,454,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have a friend who hands out tricks instead of treats to non-neighbourhood kids, over-aged teenagers and adults. He conceals small cloves of garlic or little pearl onions or roasted wasabi-coated peas in his hand and drops one item into each individual bag so they can't see what it is until they get back home.

Sounds like a miserable person. It's Halloween. Either enjoy the spirit of the holiday, giving out candy to those who come to your door, or don't participate.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM

12,403 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I stopped doing Halloween when I stated seeing minivans full of kids from out of town. Plus all the commotion would stress out the cats. And whatever didn't get given away was left for me to eat and I really don't need that.
Sounds like it would have been a win-win for you. More kids means less leftover candy.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:20 PM

1,164 posts, read 782,108 times
Keep the bowl out of reach , drop the candy in each bag and if the parents insist that you give them more candy, just smile tell them happy Halloween and close the door. You do not need to argue with them

Old 04-13-2019, 06:51 PM

42,688 posts, read 41,411,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sounds like a miserable person. It's Halloween. Either enjoy the spirit of the holiday, giving out candy to those who come to your door, or don't participate.
I agree. Not cool at all.

Give or don't give. It's not like you're the Roman emperor deciding who lives or dies.

"Only adorable children of neighbors are deserving. Here's a wasabi pea for you, peasant!"

Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 PM

3,684 posts, read 2,170,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sounds like it would have been a win-win for you. More kids means less leftover candy.
You're right, I didn't write that well, did I? lol

With the extra kids, it meant more money to spend. And they were grabby kids, I got tired of putting stuff in bags while having to watch out for one of them sneaking behind me for the bowl. Apparently many of my neighbors got tired of it too, as even the diehards that used to decorate and really get into it do not participate anymore. We have more dark houses than lit up ones these days.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 PM

9,893 posts, read 3,935,720 times
My neighborhood has houses that are spaced apart, and you have to walk down the hill (or up, depending on which side of the road the house is on) so we don't get any trick or treaters. OR, maybe, one or two families we know and they know we'd like to see their kids on Halloween. BUT. Just one street over, the streets are flat and the upscale houses are jammed together like teeth. It's super easy to go from house to house and collect a LOT of candy in a short period of time, and it's a nice neighborhood so they have the good stuff.

Oh Halloween night you can see the line of cars - sometimes as many as 30 - at the entrance of that neighborhood.

Having said that, I've never seen parents be anything except gracious and cheerful on Halloween. I really can't IMAGINE parents grabbing dozens of pieces and then still passing more back to grandma.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 PM

63 posts, read 18,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My neighborhood has houses that are spaced apart, and you have to walk down the hill (or up, depending on which side of the road the house is on) so we don't get any trick or treaters. OR, maybe, one or two families we know and they know we'd like to see their kids on Halloween. BUT. Just one street over, the streets are flat and the upscale houses are jammed together like teeth. It's super easy to go from house to house and collect a LOT of candy in a short period of time, and it's a nice neighborhood so they have the good stuff.

Oh Halloween night you can see the line of cars - sometimes as many as 30 - at the entrance of that neighborhood.

Having said that, I've never seen parents be anything except gracious and cheerful on Halloween. I really can't IMAGINE parents grabbing dozens of pieces and then still passing more back to grandma.
I couldn't imagine it either, Clara -- until it started happening in my present neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 PM

7,361 posts, read 12,896,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
They make it clear they want numerous treats for each child and adult.
I've had some of those and also parents trick or treating for the 4 month old baby in the stroller. I told them adults don't get candy at my house, and no candy to anyone over 14 years old. If the kids want candy, they come to my door. I don't give candy to parents to give to them.

Also, the out-of-neighborhood people come early and stay late, so it's becoming increasingly hard for the local kids to get their treats.
If you know about what time the locals start making the rounds, just keep your porch light off (the signal you're not giving out candy) until about the time the local kids start, then turn it on and give it to them.

jobwman, I live in a town of 10000 and the population of our county is somewhere around 35,000. To give an idea of the county families that hit the city streets on Halloween, year before last I gave out just short of 1000 pieces of candy, 2 per youngster. Thankfully we buy the cheap stuff.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 PM

63 posts, read 18,661 times
Kygman, the first paragraph in the quote you posted ("They make it clear ... to give to them") was not written by me. Reread my posts and you'll see what I did write.

I have no problem handing out candy to a multitude of kids. I just don't want the greedy grabbers to take more than their share, leaving less for others.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM

3,684 posts, read 2,170,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowman09 View Post
I couldn't imagine it either, Clara -- until it started happening in my present neighborhood.
It depends on where the people come from. Our neighborhood people were fine. The ones that drove in were not. The difference was astonishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships