Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 01:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine had this problem with the kids...have never heard of parents doing the grab too!

Her solution was to offer treats out of a big plastic jar or goldfish bowl with a narrow mouth. Something like those containers with side openings that hold condiment packets or bulk candy on convenience store counters? The opening wasn't large enough for anyone to grab a fistful. If they tried, their hand would get stuck, giving her time to bark out "Don't be GREEDY! Everyone is welcome to ONE!" A little embarrassment went a long way.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-13-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 02:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
have a bowl of cauliflower crowns ….. and a bowl of candy...ask them which one they want....

and put it in the bag yourselves they need to hold open their bag...

we had one old guy in our neighborhood that would pass out cigarettes....winstons ….we thought that was so cool....we would try to smoke them.....we were 12 ish

Old 04-13-2019, 02:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
(snip)

and put it in the bag yourselves they need to hold open their bag...
That's what I do, too. I drop the candy in their open bag/bucket so they never get more than one piece.

Some neighborhoods have "private trick or treating hours" that are just for their neighborhood. For example, a nearby neighborhood has trick or treating Halloween night from 5 to 7 PM when the city trick or treat hours are Sunday from 1 to 4PM. On Sunday none of the people in that neighborhood have their porch lights on (signifying that they are giving candy) so they only give candy to kids in their neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
OP - It's time for you to quit handing out anything on Halloween night, or else time for you start handing out tricks instead of treats to the people who are annoying you. Or you could pretend to give them something and stick your EMPTY hand in their bag.

Put real treats only into the bags of younger kids who you know are from your neighbourhood.

"No" is an acceptable and universally understood word. Learn how to use it and don't be afraid to say it.

I have a friend who hands out tricks instead of treats to non-neighbourhood kids, over-aged teenagers and adults. He conceals small cloves of garlic or little pearl onions or roasted wasabi-coated peas in his hand and drops one item into each individual bag so they can't see what it is until they get back home.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That's what I do, too. I drop the candy in their open bag/bucket so they never get more than one piece.

Some neighborhoods have "private trick or treating hours" that are just for their neighborhood. For example, a nearby neighborhood has trick or treating Halloween night from 5 to 7 PM when the city trick or treat hours are Sunday from 1 to 4PM. On Sunday none of the people in that neighborhood have their porch lights on (signifying that they are giving candy) so they only give candy to kids in their neighborhood.
Who stands around judging who is welcome or not duri g these private events? Does the application process start in April? Is english speaking necessary?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:52 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
We have never let anyone grab the candy, they come to the door and say treat or treat and WE dole out the candy.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:53 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Same here. They hold out their bags, I drop in the candy. However, if it's getting late and I still have a lot of candy left, I might give each person two or three.

Quote:
This would only work in communities that regulate trick-or-treating hours. Such a thing is unheard-of in every place I've lived. Trick-or-treat is on Halloween night, period, whatever day of the week that might be.
And were you serious about "Sunday from 1 to 4"? Trick-or-treating in the middle of the afternoon, in daylight, is just not right!

Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
We have groups of young adults who trick or treat and I refuse to give them candy. One of the reasons why is they tend to behave badly, using profanity, sometimes they are drunk. I'd rather just pass it out to the kids. If you don't have a kid with you then don't come to my house.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have a friend who hands out tricks instead of treats to non-neighbourhood kids, over-aged teenagers and adults. He conceals small cloves of garlic or little pearl onions or roasted wasabi-coated peas in his hand and drops one item into each individual bag so they can't see what it is until they get back home.

How does he know who the non-neighborhood kids are? Just curious.

Some people love those wasabi coated peas.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Seriously? You're worrying about this in April?

Use your own had to hand each child 1 or 2. This is not difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships