Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times

Advertisements

I rent to my parents for living in their home. And my brother and his wife knows this. Every so often, like at least once a week, my sister in law comes over with the kids unexpectedly not telling me anything about coming over to visit my parents.

I get home from work late morning. And my sister in law always parks in my spot knowing I’ll be home soon. So, I started to get really annoyed by it especially since she rarely ever tells me about coming over. Even when I’m home from work, she practically acts like I’m not there. It’s a really hurtful feeling and it made me cry. She doesn’t include me in her life at all like she does with my parents and my sister. Believe me, I’ve tried and it was like hitting my head against a brick wall and one-sided conversations when they aren’t interested in talking with you isn’t healthy.

So, I got fed up and asked her nicely using my manners to park anywhere else as long as it wasn’t my spot. She got mad at me saying that I was being childish and blamed my mom that she could park in my spot since I wasn’t home yet. I didn’t want to park off to the side because it’s near a field and I already had problems once with my car because of rodents. The driveway is probably better where it’s gravel than the grass where rodents can hide better.

I think if people are paying rent or mortage, they should get first dibs where to park. I even told her when I go to other people’s houses, family or not I don’t park in their space without permission. It’s rude

My sister in law finally said she won’t be parking in my spot anymore. Idk why she had to make a big deal over it when I’m the one paying rent and she and my brother don’t. They have their own home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Can you not move your car to the driveway after she leaves ? When I lived at home and someone took my spot that's what I did. She is a guest of your parents and probably easier for her with kids. Even though you pay rent, it is still your mom and dad's home and she isn't required to let you know when she is visiting.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
The driveway is a place to park vehicles. She did. If you nitpick about this, I imagine there are lots of other little things that you show annoyance about. I would probably avoid such a person as well, just to cut down on the possibility of giving offense in some way.

When you finally TOLD her it bugged you, she explained that she just parked in the driveway (maybe she stops in after doing errands and it just happens to be that time; I doubt she's plotting to randomly park in YOUR unmarked spot to bug you) and wouldn't anymore. She said she would do exactly as you asked.

And you STILL have a problem with her. ??
Sometimes, I'll come home and park in the grass at my own house. There are people who stopped in and I'm so glad to see them! YAY- friends/family stopped in to visit! When they leave, I move it back.

Rodents have feet. They run across driveways too. I have never had a rodent problem in my vehicle and CERTAINLY have never thought that rodents think "the driveway is lava."

Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
It's your parents' place. They make the rules. Contributing a little bit in rent doesn't reserve you a primo parking space.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Can you not move your car to the driveway after she leaves ? When I lived at home and someone took my spot that's what I did. She is a guest of your parents and probably easier for her with kids. Even though you pay rent, it is still your mom and dad's home and she isn't required to let you know when she is visiting.
i could but it means going back outside and starting my car again. The driveway is too short for her park behind my mom. My car barely fits. The kids are old enough to walk/run on their own. It’s safe for them walk in grass. No, she’s not required to tell me when visiting my parents. It just would be nice to feel more included in family life. Even when I get there, I feel ignored most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
The driveway is a place to park vehicles. She did. If you nitpick about this, I imagine there are lots of other little things that you show annoyance about. I would probably avoid such a person as well, just to cut down on the possibility of giving offense in some way.

When you finally TOLD her it bugged you, she explained that she just parked in the driveway (maybe she stops in after doing errands and it just happens to be that time; I doubt she's plotting to randomly park in YOUR unmarked spot to bug you) and wouldn't anymore. She said she would do exactly as you asked.

And you STILL have a problem with her. ??
Sometimes, I'll come home and park in the grass at my own house. There are people who stopped in and I'm so glad to see them! YAY- friends/family stopped in to visit! When they leave, I move it back.

Rodents have feet. They run across driveways too. I have never had a rodent problem in my vehicle and CERTAINLY have never thought that rodents think "the driveway is lava."
She goes there sometimes when my brother is sleeping from working overnight. I probably wouldn’t care if she parked in my spot if she made me feel more included in her life like she does with my parents and sister. My sister treats me the same way, doesn’t act like she cares about me. Usually, it’s me initiating the conversation. When I show interest what’s going on with life like plans for the weekend, she doesn’t give me much of a response

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
It's your parents' place. They make the rules. Contributing a little bit in rent doesn't reserve you a primo parking space.
well, in any roommate situation, I wouldn’t want their family or friends parking in my spot. One of my best friends live in a trailer park. When I go there, I don’t park in my friend’s roommate parking spot if he’s not home. I park along the street. I think about others before myself.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 PM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
She goes there sometimes when my brother is sleeping from working overnight. I probably wouldn’t care if she parked in my spot if she made me feel more included in her life like she does with my parents and sister. My sister treats me the same way, doesn’t act like she cares about me. Usually, it’s me initiating the conversation. When I show interest what’s going on with life, she doesn’t give me much of a response
Again, there must be some pattern of you taking offense where absolutely none is intended. It's more simple to avoid such people than risk offending them in yet another, unknown way.

Quote:
well, in any roommate situation, I wouldn’t want their family or friends parking in my spot. One of my best friends live in a trailer park. When I go there, I don’t park in my friend’s roommate parking spot if he’s not home. I park along the street. I think about others before myself.
WHY are you parking at your friend's house when he isn't there?

If you're having such issues, living with family, then perhaps you should move out and get your own place with an assigned spot. Even when we rented in apartments or a townhouse complex, the spots weren't assigned. People would park in the spot right in front of our door because... it's simply available parking. There's always enough parking but it's not always the most convenient. That is an unreasonable expectation as a default, even when renting your own place in a complex. Unless there is assigned, numbered parking with a towing service reserved for removal, you do NOT get an assigned spot.

This is your FAMILY. Your expectations are unreasonable... at the very least, in parking.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:07 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
I get home from work late morning.
Are you working overnight? Do you sleep during the day?

Quote:
She goes there sometimes when my brother is sleeping from working overnight
I totally get why you would be upset with this situation. She is there because she doesn't want her kids to wake her husband, but it is okay to convenience you in a similar situation.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
So, in your opinion, why does your sister and SIL treat you poorly? Any idea? If you really don't know, have you tried asking your parents if they know? Or even directly asking your sister or SIL?

Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
It is still your parents home and it is still their call and even now is someone parked in my place I still will go out and move my car into my spot. I am sorry though that you feel excluded and I understand that it hurts, just focus on your own friends and step back from trying so hard and if possible start saving some money and get your own place.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Again, there must be some pattern of you taking offense where absolutely none is intended. It's more simple to avoid such people than risk offending them in yet another, unknown way.

WHY are you parking at your friend's house when he isn't there?

If you're having such issues, living with family, then perhaps you should move out and get your own place with an assigned spot. Even when we rented in apartments or a townhouse complex, the spots weren't assigned. People would park in the spot right in front of our door because... it's simply available parking. There's always enough parking but it's not always the most convenient. That is an unreasonable expectation as a default, even when renting your own place in a complex. Unless there is assigned, numbered parking with a towing service reserved for removal, you do NOT get an assigned spot.

This is your FAMILY. Your expectations are unreasonable... at the very least, in parking.
Um, read the post again. My friend is there when I’m at his house. He lives with a roommate. Sometimes his roommate isn’t there. I don’t park in the roommate’s spot if he’s not home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Are you working overnight? Do you sleep during the day?

I totally get why you would be upset with this situation. She is there because she doesn't want her kids to wake her husband, but it is okay to convenience you in a similar situation.
I work few hours in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
So, in your opinion, why does your sister and SIL treat you poorly? Any idea? If you really don't know, have you tried asking your parents if they know? Or even directly asking your sister or SIL?
I’m the black sheep in family. One reason I can think of is I’m profoundly Deaf. The rest can hear well. I don’t feel part of the “social group “ Even at times I have gone shopping with my sister, I’ve overheard conversations between my sister talking on phone with my sister in law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships