U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 09:18 AM

77,942 posts, read 69,884,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I wouldn’t spend the energy trying to move to Canada — nothing against Canada but I doubt they would grant residency to your two elderly in laws unless they are independently wealthy. I’m sure it would be different if you or your husband were Canadian.
I thought about that. Actually, they could, if the OP & husband moved there first, and got established, paying their taxes into the system, then some years later, filed for a family reunification type of visa, for the elders. I have extended family members who did that.

I hear Toronto's expensive, OP. Also, Ontario has had very serious problems funding their health care. At one point, Provincial authorities told the hospitals to stop admitting patients, because the budget couldn't cover any more. IDK if you could locate in Quebec, and operate from there...

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-27-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 09:23 AM

2,992 posts, read 1,994,538 times
Ugly, but, as I said, they 'hired' a servant. How dare the servant expect to be treated as human.

This family's behavior is so outrageous, I'm at a loss to describe it.

Good luck, Music.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Iíve been reading along yet havent commented until now. I feel really bad for what youíre going through. What your family doing is beyond crazy. Iím sorry youíre dealing with all of this. Itís horrific.
Really! If you read it in a work of fiction, you wouldn't find it believable. Yet, stuff like this does happen. There are sick people out there, who manage to pass themselves off as normal, to the world outside their family.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,615,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I like these ideas. And whenever they call, the first and only thing out of your mouth is, "This is your notice to stop contacting or harassing me; if I hear from you again I am going to the police." And then hang up.
.)
When I was a teen my father was imprisoned for abusing me and from that time on I had no contact until he started stalking me online and sending messages in my late 50ís. . Iíd block him on this media or that media but heíd find a way to sneak through. I was 6o and fighting breast cancer and he sent me a Pathetic ďpoor meĒ message. I did what you suggested, I sent an email for legal reasons (keeping a written record is important) stating simply to not contact me and any further contact I would report him to the police and take legal action. Been 4 years and I havenít heard a peep out of him so far.

I think if the op has any contact it should be a copy of a formal email/ registered snail mail stating that any further harassment will be legally dealt with and they are to stop threatening her, and she wants no contact.

I kept a copy of my email to my abuser, and screenshots of his messages so it shows a timeline and my stated wishes should I have ever needed to take it to a court for a restraining order.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM

7,094 posts, read 6,505,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I wouldn’t spend the energy trying to move to Canada — nothing against Canada but I doubt they would grant residency to your two elderly in laws unless they are independently wealthy. I’m sure it would be different if you or your husband were Canadian.

Agreed with this ^.

OP, you should make enquiries about the required skills and financial assets needed and other required qualifications for eligibility to immigrate to Canada but don't get your hopes up about it. In the long run I think you'll need to forget about ever moving to Canada, you and your husband and his family most likely won't qualify, especially not the two elderly women.

I think you are making a HUGE mistake and taking a great risk in not consulting with a lawyer about your adoptive family and their most recent crazy demands and threats.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:01 AM

12,018 posts, read 6,622,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Agreed with this ^.

OP, you should make enquiries about the required skills and financial assets needed and other required qualifications for eligibility to immigrate to Canada but don't get your hopes up about it. In the long run I think you'll need to forget about ever moving to Canada, you and your husband and his family most likely won't qualify, especially not the two elderly women.

I think you are making a HUGE mistake and taking a great risk in not consulting with a lawyer about your adoptive family and their most recent crazy demands and threats.

What threats? The financial "demands" are just the foolish gibberish of an angry narcissist, nothing legal or legit.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:02 AM

1,857 posts, read 531,417 times
Good riddance to them. The bill they sent and the lawsuit threats are a total joke. Even if they could produce a signed contract by you that it was expected you repay all of these costs, it still wouldn't be valid because a minor can't enter into a legally binding contract. The fact that they think you legally owe them a dime just tells us how WACKED these people are.
If you ever get sued, which is incredibly unlikely, you will actually have a claim against their attorney personally for frivolous lawsuit - so don't give this threatening letter another thought.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
This is appalling. The poster who said it is cult behavior is correct.
Get an attorney on Monday.

Do not just ignore these letters & visits.
These vile creatures could get some podunk judge to place a judgement against you. And the money it would cost to get it thrown out & off your credit reports would be much more than a cease & desist letter from your attorney.
If they persist in pushing the "you owe us money" claim, you will have a lawyer in place who will be able to make the most of it.

Get a restraining order filed against the "mother" for the threatens in letters and against whomever has come by your place.

These people apparently think you can enslave someone.

Treat these people as you would a stalker....block media & phone, install a security system including security cameras... you want video & sounds if they come by again. Do not treat this lightly. "Mother" sounds like a combo of Ma Barker and Mags Bennett who would get one of her minions to harm you or your husband & his family.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
This is appalling. The poster who said it is cult behavior is correct.
Get an attorney on Monday.

Do not just ignore these letters & visits.
These vile creatures could get some podunk judge to place a judgement against you. And the money it would cost to get it thrown out & off your credit reports would be much more than a cease & desist letter from your attorney.
If they persist in pushing the "you owe us money" claim, you will have a lawyer in place who will be able to make the most of it.

Get a restraining order filed against the "mother" for the threatens in letters and against whomever has come by your place.

These people apparently think you can enslave someone.

Treat these people as you would a stalker....block media & phone, install a security system including security cameras... you want video & sounds if they come by again. Do not treat this lightly. "Mother" sounds like a combo of Ma Barker and Mags Bennett who would get one of her minions to harm you or your husband & his family.
If for no other reason than that, she should see a lawyer, and get that restraining order, for all members of the family, since all of them seem equally caught up in the drama, and motivated to harass the OP. In view of how the matter has played out so far, it's entirely possible, that they will continue to escalate.

IOW, OP, just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse, any more outrageous, they find a way! Now that you've seen their true colors, do not underestimate their ability to intensify the situation, and compound the outrageousness, outdoing themselves at every instance. For all you know, they may only be getting warmed up!

Batten down your hatches.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:28 AM

12,018 posts, read 6,622,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If for no other reason than that, she should see a lawyer, and get that restraining order, for all members of the family, since all of them seem equally caught up in the drama, and motivated to harass the OP. In view of how the matter has played out so far, it's entirely possible, that they will continue to escalate.

IOW, OP, just when you think it couldn't possibly get any worse, any more outrageous, they find a way! Now that you've seen their true colors, do not underestimate their ability to intensify the situation, and compound the outrageousness, outdoing themselves at every instance. For all you know, they may only be getting warmed up!

Batten down your hatches.
You can't get a restraining order for family drama. There has to be an actual threat or significant history of stalking. OP got a drama-flounce email, a visit from a brother or sister (we still don't know which), and a silly non-legal letter from narcissistic drama mama. There is no basis for a restraining order at this time.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, unfortunately. If a lawsuit is found frivolous, it will cost the ones who waste the court's time. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or