Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times

Advertisements

Dear Mom and Dad,

As you know, I have moved and wanted to give you my new address. It is:

Thank you for everything.

Lovingly,

Daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Mom - I moved. I live in CITY, STATE now. Talk soon?

Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
You're an adult and all...but...I have concerns.

Your boyfriend has mental health issues. YOU have mental health issues. Maybe your mom has valid concerns about your future happiness, and why she expresses disapointment in your choices? Have you given your mom drama and problems as a teenager?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You're an adult and all...but...I have concerns.

Your boyfriend has mental health issues. YOU have mental health issues. Maybe your mom has valid concerns about your future happiness, and why she expresses disapointment in your choices? Have you given your mom drama and problems as a teenager?
Have to agree with this. There are things stacked against you OP:

Both of you are quite young/inexperienced.
First serious relationship that has been rocky.
Both of you have mental health issues.
Disconnect between expecting military service/income and mental health issues.
Making a long distance complete break with family.
No information about how you plan to manage your health issues without help from anyone.
The parent you get along with best you don't want to confide in.

Sometimes the opinions and advice we get aren't what we want to hear...though it might be what we NEED to hear.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:05 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Since your parents have known this guy since he was a young teen, they have probably formed some considered opinions about his character and prospects. Why not share some of their objections about him so we can get a fuller picture?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Why would you want to move in with a boyfriend with a mental illness?

How did his mental illness display to your parents?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Rent a place for a year together nearby ...see if you two can live together first...
you jump into so many unknowns.... that's too much pressure..

too many moving parts and no stability....you might be setting yourself up to fail..

Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Say Bye when you're walking out the door. You're an adult and can do what you want without your mothers permission.
And the reality is...in the mist of doing whatever the h you want...you get all the responsibility of owning up to every mistake you make. So few want to share that fact...that with actions comes accountability.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why would you want to move in with a boyfriend with a mental illness?

How did his mental illness display to your parents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman;
Rent a place for a year together nearby ...see if you two can live together first...
you jump into so many unknowns.... that's too much pressure..

too many moving parts and no stability....you might be setting yourself up to fail..
Exactly! OP hasn't told us how her bf could have enlisted in the armed services with a mental illness. How will he support himself, with a mental illness? How does she plan to support herself? Is he getting some kind of disability payments? What's going on?

I agree that it's too isolating, to run off to another state, and move in with a mentally ill boyfriend, when she, herself, has her own challenges, and their past relationship had rocky times. She should set herself up to live independently, first. I realize, I'm repeating my earlier post, but we've had no response from the OP, and other posters have avoided addressing these important concerns. I'm glad there are a few, who see these potential pitfalls.

I sure wish we had more info from the OP.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:13 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly! OP hasn't told us how her bf could have enlisted in the armed services with a mental illness. How will he support himself, with a mental illness? How does she plan to support herself? Is he getting some kind of disability payments? What's going on?

I agree that it's too isolating, to run off to another state, and move in with a mentally ill boyfriend, when she, herself, has her own challenges, and their past relationship had rocky times. She should set herself up to live independently, first. I realize, I'm repeating my earlier post, but we've had no response from the OP, and other posters have avoided addressing these important concerns. I'm glad there are a few, who see these potential pitfalls.

I sure wish we had more info from the OP.

Some of us have been too busy to come back Ruth , dealing with a sick son, and sick grandchidren.

Yes major concerns but without input from the op I am not sure what I can add other than I find the idea her boyfriend got into the military with a mental illness highly questionable unless he lied? As with a lot of posters we are given cherry picked info with a lot of pertinent facts left out. That in itself is a red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships