U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 AM

315 posts, read 137,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancined View Post
I've decided to stop eating processed meats since they cause colon cancer. I've been going strong for the past few weeks, but today my best friend asked me if I wanted to go out to eat at Chick-Fil-A for lunch. I told him no and that I still don't ever want to eat processed meat ever again. He argued that chicken isn't processed meat and that even if it was, the occasional piece of chicken won't hurt me. I told him that she was wrong and I said to him "Once you get colon cancer, don't say that I didn't warn you."

Now he's not answering my calls or texts and I'm wondering if it's really THAT big of a deal what I did. How do I talk to him about this? Who's the bad guy in this situation?
That is your choice and he doesn't understand. Continue to live your life as you wish. If he comes back to ask questions about it, answer it and tell him that it is your choice to live your life this way and hope he can respect that, if not, just move forward with your own life.

Please have some empathy to someone who may not understand your choice and I sure hope that you spoke kindly to him as how you would wish someone to be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 01:41 AM

2,474 posts, read 896,933 times
Quote:
I've decided to stop eating processed meats since they cause colon cancer. I've been going strong for the past few weeks, but today my best friend asked me if I wanted to go out to eat at Chick-Fil-A for lunch. I told him no and that I still don't ever want to eat processed meat ever again. He argued that chicken isn't processed meat and that even if it was, the occasional piece of chicken won't hurt me. I told him that she was wrong and I said to him "Once you get colon cancer, don't say that I didn't warn you."

Now he's not answering my calls or texts and I'm wondering if it's really THAT big of a deal what I did. How do I talk to him about this? Who's the bad guy in this situation?
Your friend felt that you two lost a connection with the food thing, as it's likely not something you will happily share again.

I do think your comment about the colon cancer sounded condescending was the salt on the wound. He may or may not come around but if he does, just have drinks instead.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 2,814,847 times
Quote:
I'm 22 and I don't really know about risk factors. My family in general doesn't have a history of any cancer, I abstain from drinking and smoking, I exercise around 3-4 times a week, and I'm the average weight for my age. (If anything, my doctor has said that I'm slightly underweight.)
Ah. So you felt you were entitled to deliver a lecture despite being ignorant about the subject? Got it. It's one thing to know what you are talking about (and making suggestions to someone supposedly for their own good) but quite another to blurt out what is basically a personal opinion without understanding or experience to back it up. Knowledgeable or not, how you chose to handle this was vindictive. You aren't going to win any personal crusade using brute force alone. Those who want respect need to give it.

Adding this little humble brag doesn't justify it either OP. You might want to check to see what other aspects of your life you are this self-righteous about. Holding up that shining beacon while sitting on top of your mountain is a very lonely existence; especially without an audience.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-24-2019 at 04:59 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 AM

6,896 posts, read 2,814,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If he was a true friend, what you said should not bother him. He can eat what he wants, obviously and so can you.

I think your friend is the one who sounds like a jerk.
Even "true" friends don't deserve to be insulted so unjustly or sit back and take it without objecting to the callous delivery. How ironic...hearing this reply from you; someone who comments all the time about how fiercely you should be allowed to reject the beliefs of others in favor of yours. Taking a stand is only permissible for you? Everyone else should just let others trample all over them?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-24-2019 at 05:51 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 06:20 AM

11,986 posts, read 16,716,959 times
Quote:
I'm 22 and I don't really know about risk factors. My family in general doesn't have a history of any cancer, I abstain from drinking and smoking, I exercise around 3-4 times a week, and I'm the average weight for my age. (If anything, my doctor has said that I'm slightly underweight.)
Sounds like me right before I was diagnosed with stage IV lymphoma at 23. Also sounds like my friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer at 23. We went to chemo every other week together. He grew up in a Japanese-American family with a traditional Japanese diet. I doubt there was much processed meat in his house, and yet here he is with an ostomy all the same.

Don't go crying to your "friend" who you treat so poorly if you are diagnosed with one of the 100+ other cancers.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 AM

3,139 posts, read 1,644,497 times
Quote:
Well, if you are of African American or Eastern European Jewish heritage your risk of colon cancer is much higher. (Source: American Cancer Society)

Do you have freckles around the mouth or hands/feet? You might have a genetic predisposition to colon cancer. (Source: American Cancer Society)

There are many things that cause colon cancer. You seem pretty concerned about getting it so you should learn more.

One study even showed higher incidence rates were not attributable to red meat:

We documented 1,965 new colorectal cancer cases (1,527 in NHS and 438 in NHS II) during 24 years of follow‐up. In both cohorts, women with longer duration of shift work were older, had a greater BMI, and were more likely to smoke (with more pack‐years of smoking), but they reported lower alcohol consumption and higher levels of physical activity, compared to never shift workers (Table ​(Table1).1). Long‐term night shift workers were more likely to have a lower educational level or a husband with a lower educational level compared to day workers, while no significant differences were observed in reported dietary habits known to predict colorectal cancer risk, such as folate, fiber, and red meat consumption.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6235706/

Last edited by wasel; 04-24-2019 at 06:59 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 06:46 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,413,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Heavily processed meats not only contain harmful additives, but the amino acids in their proteins have been damaged to the point that they have little good nutritive value. The old saying about first having to hit a mule across the head with a 2X4, to get his attention, applies to your friend.
This = road to having no friends. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 AM

13,131 posts, read 17,687,988 times
Quote:
Reading some of your other threads - this one is not about you being concerned about your friend.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:36 AM

1,922 posts, read 341,715 times
Yum! At Chik-Fil-A you can get:

Side salad
Superfood side salad (kale) with raisins and nuts
Greek yogurt fruit parfait
Fruit cup
Apple sauce
Waffle potato fries
Milkshakes
Chocolate chip cookies

Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM

9,201 posts, read 3,556,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is not the case at least not now. The Marketplace salad is $7.99 with chicken, $5.99 without. There is also a side salad that is meatless, and a meatless “Superfood” side with kale and other healthy veggies, no meat. You can also get fries, a Greek yogurt parfait, fruit cup or a multigrain bagel. .
I have not seen any of these offered at my local Chik-Fil-A, except for the fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or