U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 PM

9,826 posts, read 5,033,769 times

Advertisements

Then what are you talking about? Please provide a specific example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 PM

10,585 posts, read 12,756,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Then what are you talking about? Please provide a specific example.
I can't remember the exact details but this is what I can remember:

Person A: Described at length a dish that another restaurant made, and the waiter relayed the info to the cook. When the special order was delivered, the person was not that appreciative, even though it was exactly what they asked for.

Person A: - Many others I just can't remember the details. Usually ties up the waiter.

Person B: Asked for something that was not provided on that particular day due to limitations.
Was refused (which I am glad about.) Acted really disappointed, which I think was done for effect since the person is not that picky about food outside these situations.

Person B: Asked for a side dish to be filled with an actual side food item, instead of the sauce that came with the meal. Told the waiter that the restaurant usually provides them the requested dish, without charging. (Which I doubt.)

Basically, it just seems like every time these people go out they are going to find something extra to demand from the restaurant. It's as if they are not happy unless they get special treatment that no other customer gets.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 AM

560 posts, read 140,675 times
When I was waitressing at a Perkins a man came in and apparently ordered an EM-burger which was a special burger with the works at another small local owned place called Embers. Because I was not working at Embers I was working at Perkins when he ordered Emburger I heard hamburger and that's what I served him. The man went irate because that wasn't what he ordered and after much yelling I finally realized what he actually wanted and politely pointed out that we were not at Embers so I did not realize he said Emburger and not hamburger but if he would tell me what was on an Emburger I would see what I could do to get him one because I had not eaten at Embers and did not know. After he screamed some more that any F***ing idiot knew what was on an Emburger I got the manager and told him I was done with that table and he could do what he wanted with the guy. The manager then kissed his butt and served the guy himself. I quit waitressing shortly after that because the nasty entitled people just seemed to outnumber the nice ones. They probably didn't but they sure made more noise and got more attention. I always felt sorry for the rest of the people in these peoples lives.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 751,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
When I was waitressing at a Perkins a man came in and apparently ordered an EM-burger which was a special burger with the works at another small local owned place called Embers. Because I was not working at Embers I was working at Perkins when he ordered Emburger I heard hamburger and that's what I served him. The man went irate because that wasn't what he ordered and after much yelling I finally realized what he actually wanted and politely pointed out that we were not at Embers so I did not realize he said Emburger and not hamburger but if he would tell me what was on an Emburger I would see what I could do to get him one because I had not eaten at Embers and did not know. After he screamed some more that any F***ing idiot knew what was on an Emburger I got the manager and told him I was done with that table and he could do what he wanted with the guy. The manager then kissed his butt and served the guy himself. I quit waitressing shortly after that because the nasty entitled people just seemed to outnumber the nice ones. They probably didn't but they sure made more noise and got more attention. I always felt sorry for the rest of the people in these peoples lives.
Now THAT story rises to the level of "aggressive" because of crazy, bombastic, outsized-to-the-situation, emotional behavior in a way that OP's examples as he has described them to us Ė have not.

Just IMHO, of course.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:08 AM

16,797 posts, read 14,559,219 times
OP is frightened of what strangers think of him. Even people he is paying for their services.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:29 PM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
At this one Mexican restaurant, I always order my nachos with no meat, no sour cream, and extra pico de gallo. Hopefully that isnít too aggressive. It comes out perfectly every time, so I think Iíll keep ordering it that way!
My niece is allergic to everything in the onion family. That means no garlic, onions, shallots, scallions, etc. It's very difficult for her to eat at a restaurant, but she likes Mexican because she found they can easily leave out onions.

She's not being aggressive, she's trying to not break out in hives.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 PM

2,681 posts, read 6,272,975 times
Default yikes...

I do eat out w/one of them and it's not pretty. I've learned to just ignore their entire 'is your cheese
sliced fresh' routine and let them enjoy themselves. Wait help does not mind at all, at least not from
our tip and the bill...let's just say we pay for every change, substitute and demand... gotta pick your battles.
Koale

Old 05-05-2019, 08:10 PM

192 posts, read 57,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's not quite as extreme as Jack Nicholson getting angry in the diner scene of "Five Easy Pieces" but this is sort of along the same lines.

What do you think when your lunch or dinner companion always wants to order special items that either aren't listed on the menu, or else always wants to modify the available menu items? Some go so far as to almost describe something that the waiter has never heard of.

I want to think the best of these people. But sometimes they make me nervous, and I worry that they might be offending the wait staff by being overly demanding. Even though, at the same time, something tells me that there might be a method to their madness.

What do you think of these people? Do you enjoy eating out with them?
Sounds like my dad. Extremely annoying.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 AM

3,906 posts, read 1,662,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Anything that brings extra work to the staff, and causes other customers inconvenience by the delay resulting in everyone at the restaurant trying to appease the single jerk who can't be happy with the abundance of choices that were offered to him in the first place, some of which even came with options and substitutions built in already.
A person who asks politely could be called "particular."

Someone who goes into lengthy detail about what they want might be "fussy."

And the guy who insists it has to be done a certain way, then sends it back because it has too much or too little of something he hadn't specified could politely be called "demanding." Or impolitely called ruder names.

"Aggressive" would describe the guy who throws the meal in the server's face because there are too many seeds on his bun.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM

940 posts, read 210,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey-Pete View Post
Sounds like my dad. Extremely annoying.
I love my mom, but yeah, same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or