U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 AM

12,397 posts, read 7,452,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If I don't want mayo and it comes with mayo, I scrape it off and go on. The earth keeps spinning.
Scraping it off just means you have light mayo.

I don't like condiments on my burgers, so I ask for lettuce and tomato only. They make it with lettuce and tomato only, and the earth keeps spinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 11:28 AM

28,139 posts, read 39,748,049 times
I always ask for my pork tenderloin sandwich (Midwest thing if you don't know what I mean) to be prepared differently. Instead of all the hamburger toppings they usually put on I ask for white cheese and jalapenos.

I've never had any problems doing so and once in a while I do get a wiseacre chef who dumps a ton of jalapeŮos on. The waiter/ess will invariably come by and ask how the sandwich is and I can tell by the look on their face that they expect a reaction to the number of peppers. They get one, "Thank the chef for the extra peppers. It's exactly what I wanted."

Most people call a tenderloin a schnitzel.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:41 PM

801 posts, read 219,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How has what I have been describing NOT aggressive and pushy? Please explain.
How is "could you please leave off the onions" "aggressive and pushy"? If people are taking it to extremes, then sure, but if they're polite and their requests aren't unreasonable, what's pushy about it? What's the diff to the restaurant to not have to put something on, or to put tomatoes instead of cucumbers, if they're making it from scratch anyway?

Quote:
You would have such fun dining with my relative. She also wants this, that, or the other on the side, requests items be prepared that are not on the menu, or in a different way that on the menu.

The reason fast food is fast is that they have a certain system.

If I don't want mayo and it comes with mayo, I scrape it off and go on. The earth keeps spinning.
It's actually faster for them to skip the step of adding mayo, yeah?

Old 04-27-2019, 01:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 2,281,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So they're courteous and polite to the server when asking if they can modify their meal...

What exactly is aggressive about that?
Exactly.

Quote:
How has what I have been describing NOT aggressive and pushy? Please explain.
From all of your posts, your ideas of what's aggressive, pushy, overbearing are really distorted.
Have you considered that?

Old 04-27-2019, 05:01 PM

21,001 posts, read 11,624,951 times
I am a somewhat picky eater, but I also cook enough to know what is realistic to ask for. Mostly I'm asking for something to be left out. If I like 7 ingredients but dislike the 8th, why would I want it added in, as it would end up spoiling the entire dish. I try to find things where I like the dish as is, but that's not always going to be an option. But I also know that if a sauce is made ahead of time, it's not going to be reasonable to order it without one specific ingredient i don't like.

I also look at the rest of the menu to see ahead of time if they have an ingredient I want to substitute, like I want a bacon cheeseburger that comes with cheddar. If they also have a mushroom swiss burger, than I know it shouldn't be a big deal to substitute swiss for cheddar. If there is nothing on the menu with swiss, I might ask if they have it, but more likely, I'd pick something else to order instead, and not even bother to ask about the substitution.

I was going to say that I wouldn't ask them to create a dish that wasn't on the menu but I guess maybe I sort of have - my kid doesn't eat red sauce on his pasta, so in Italian restaurants, we sometimes ask for a bowl of pasta with butter and parmesan cheese for him, even if they don't have it on the menu. Something like that has never been an issue of course.

The vast majority of the time, I don't blame servers for the kitchen's mistake, but there are times when a server is at fault too - they should be taking at least a perfunctory look at what they are picking up from the kitchen. Recently, I ordered a salad with no cheese on it (and I always ask up front just in case), but adding grilled chicken (an option right on the menu, so shouldn't be a big deal). The server dropped off a salad with cheese all over it and no chicken. That was her fault, not just the kitchen's, because even if she put the order in correctly, she should have glanced at it to see that they gave her the wrong thing.

I'm very polite about it, and I avoid places that advertise up front that they won't make substitutions to "the chef's vision" or nonsense like that, or places that have an extremely limited selection and/or exclusively very finicky options.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:32 PM

55,588 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Between my picky taste and food allergies, every meal has to be customized for me. I donít try to be, because I donít like confrontation and want to just be easy going, but my health wonít allow it. Eating at Waffle House or a hibachi place is a challenge. I canít have anything at Waffle House and everyone at the hibachi place needs to avoid fish. I can only eat veggies there.

For instance we just got back from a two week cruise. I would attempt to take a plate and head to the buffet, which bless the cruise ship staff for being amazing at keeping track of 1500 peopleís diet requirements, but the head waiter would race up and let me know when I couldnít eat something and would go to the kitchen and have a safe option made for me. Wr did a cruise because we wanted to explore a country without having to deal with limited food options. Of course at the one restaurant we tried in the country, I contracted a parasite. Fragile diet requirements...
So yes I am the picky customer. We have to talk about oil they cook with. If they have any items with coconut. Do they cook fries in oil that has no cross contamination.... what about fish? I canít have any without my throat closing up. I get a slight reaction if a table near by has salmon. When I was younger, the reactions were not as severe, but in the last few years they have increased tremendously. Part might be my body, but the other is we seem to put palm oil and coconut oil in everything. I canít wait until that fad ends
Be careful with that. My mother noticed in her 30s that she got headaches after she ate tuna, so she stopped eating it. She mostly ate shrimp. Then in her 40s, she went out to dinner and had swordfish, and she broke out in hives and was having trouble breathing. Her doctor told her the allergy would only get worse and to stay away from fish.

Over the years she found she could have one or two pieces of shrimp with no reaction, so her allergy is more fin fish than shellfish, but she still won't push it with shellfish.

Since then a brother and a sister both developed the fish allergy at about the same age my mother did.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:38 PM

55,588 posts, read 54,188,638 times
I don't think asking for salad dressing on the side falls into this category. I've gotten salads that were inedible because they were swimming in dressing.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:13 PM

14,558 posts, read 10,694,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with sending food back if it's really bad. Like you, I do it very rarely. There's also a cost-benefit to it in that when you send food back, it then puts you out of sync with the other people at your table in terms of eating your meal. So you have to decide whether the food is bad enough to make it worthwhile to create that situation.
Exactly. Either you'll have everyone else waiting around while you finish up or else you don't get to eat and have to take it with you. One time I ordered some type of Asian soup and it was so BLAAAND. I kept adding salt, and soy sauce, and hot sauce, and pepper, and anything I could get my hands on to try to make it edible. Everyone kept telling me to send it back, but I didn't want to for the very reason you stated.

Mostly what I ever send back is a glass that is cracked or has lipstick on it (*shudder* - it's like hair, it's fine in its original form, but not when it's somewhere it's not supposed to be, lol), or dirty utensils, etc. If you just act polite (normal), they're usually happy to do it, they understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I wouldn't treat a waiter badly over a bad meal, since he or she didn't prepare it and aren't responsible for the quality of the food. You might do a Yelp or Google review so the owner knows how customers are perceiving his food, though.
That's another point I agree with. People get so PO'd and refuse to leave a tip because they were dissatisfied with the food. That's so unfair to the waiters.

Quote:
You would have such fun dining with my relative. She also wants this, that, or the other on the side, requests items be prepared that are not on the menu, or in a different way that on the menu.

The reason fast food is fast is that they have a certain system.

All of the posters mentioning someone like this, it always reminds me of Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxeeeSUFpmE

Old 04-27-2019, 07:31 PM

10,409 posts, read 12,669,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You said he was courteous to the server. He also asked if he was able to make modifications, not demanding.

My question to you was how was he aggressive? I wasn't there. I can't explain his actions, but none of your posts have described an aggressive person.
What I mean is that these are aggressive people to begin with who do these things. I could have said "Asian" people rather than aggressive and no one would have questioned it.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 2,281,429 times
Quote:
What I mean is that these are aggressive people to begin with who do these things. I could have said "Asian" people rather than aggressive and no one would have questioned it.
I'm sorry, I'm not getting this at all. Aggressive how? By asking a restaurant for a different dish? That's not aggressive.

Standing up, getting in the servers face, screaming demands= aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or