Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, now that I think about it I can think of one person who does this, although IMO it's outright aggressive, not passive aggressive. My kids dad, who was picky when we were younger, has apparently turned into an ahole as he's gotten older. My daughter started refusing to eat out with him a few years ago after an occasion when he repeatedly berated the waitress and reduced her to tears. It's not just substitutions and being fussy about the cooking. Part of it was asking for a drink that wasn't on the menu and then sending it back three times because it wasn't just right. On top of being a complaining, abusive customer he apparently tops off his act with a meager tip. I wouldn't want to go out to eat with him either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My daughter found she was gluten-intolerant back when she was a teenager, before most people had heard of this.

The biggest eye-opener for me as a result of that was learning how many restaurants put FLOUR into their mashed potatoes. That's just so wrong.

I used to see people ask for substitutions when standing on line at a deli for breakfast before work. "I want the spinach and cheddar omelet, but can you make it with egg whites? And instead of spinach, do you have any broccoli? And I don't want the cheddar, so do you have any provolone? Don't put salt and pepper on it, just a little hot sauce. It comes with toast? Can I get a bagel instead? What? I have to pay extra for a BAGEL? I can't believe you're going to charge me extra for a BAGEL! It doesn't say that anywhere on the menu.

And there I am on line behind these people, starving, needing to get upstairs to the office, and I want to throttle them.

Retirement is good.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Passive-aggressive relative has decided she needs a gluten-free diet due to her various health issues. Can she order the obviously gluten-free menu items?

Oh, if only.

Every time we go out, it's a lengthy discussion with the wait staff on whether this item contains any gluten or that item can be made without the bread. Do they have gluten-free bread?

Now she's decided she's lactose intolerant as well.

Good grief.
lol. Well, a lot of people do have wheat and gluten issues. It used to go undiagnosed, which in some cases lead to colon cancer over time. Other people may have auto-immune conditions, in which case, some doctors recommend they avoid gluten, to avoid antagonizing the immune system.

But I agree with the gist of your post; there's no need to make a big show of announcing to the table (and probably the nearby ones as well) that one requires gluten-free food, when the menu accommodates that already. Some places do have gluten-free bread. Some pizza purveyors offer gluten-free crust.

What if the world changed to accommodate people like your relative, but she was unhappy, because she would no longer have grounds to make a big display of her "special" needs? Was she neglected as a child, so that now she feels she needs everyone to know that she's "special"? lol

Old 04-26-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter found she was gluten-intolerant back when she was a teenager, before most people had heard of this.

The biggest eye-opener for me as a result of that was learning how many restaurants put FLOUR into their mashed potatoes. That's just so wrong.

I used to see people ask for substitutions when standing on line at a deli for breakfast before work. "I want the spinach and cheddar omelet, but can you make it with egg whites? And instead of spinach, do you have any broccoli? And I don't want the cheddar, so do you have any provolone? Don't put salt and pepper on it, just a little hot sauce. It comes with toast? Can I get a bagel instead? What? I have to pay extra for a BAGEL? I can't believe you're going to charge me extra for a BAGEL! It doesn't say that anywhere on the menu.

And there I am on line behind these people, starving, needing to get upstairs to the office, and I want to throttle them.

Retirement is good.
I love this! Thanks for a laugh to start my day.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I have a friend who is rather picky. Or as my grandmother used to say "particular".

At our last outing, she has a complaint about the way her food was prepared. The waitress offered to have a new dish prepared. No, that wouldn't do. I offered to exchange meals with her. That wouldn't do.

When presented with the bill, the waitress said the cost of the main dish had been deducted. No, she didn't like that. Wanted charge added back in, waitress said couldn't do that. Friend very unhappy. WTF.

If I wasn't willing to accept the substitute, I would have kept my complaints to myself.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
"I'd like a cheeseburger without the cheese."

"So a hamburger?"

"No, I said a cheeseburger without the cheese! Ugh!!"

Old 04-26-2019, 10:19 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

"So a hamburger?"

I think that is how McDonalds does it, if I recall they don't have a "double hamburger", if you want a double hamburger you have to order double cheeseburger with no cheese.

I'm pretty sure it was McDonalds, could be wrong.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

"So a hamburger?"

Exactly what I was thinking: "A spinach and cheddar cheese omelet, without the spinach and cheddar. Oh, but could you add broccoli?"

Old 04-26-2019, 11:23 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's not quite as extreme as Jack Nicholson getting angry in the diner scene of "Five Easy Pieces" but this is sort of along the same lines.

What do you think when your lunch or dinner companion always wants to order special items that either aren't listed on the menu, or else always wants to modify the available menu items? Some go so far as to almost describe something that the waiter has never heard of.

I want to think the best of these people. But sometimes they make me nervous, and I worry that they might be offending the wait staff by being overly demanding. Even though, at the same time, something tells me that there might be a method to their madness.

What do you think of these people? Do you enjoy eating out with them?
I had a boyfriend who did this many years ago. He would say 'I want what I want' and yes, he was a controlling a$$hole which is why I broke up with him.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:28 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think when your lunch or dinner companion always wants to order special items that either aren't listed on the menu, or else always wants to modify the available menu items?
Take 'em to Burger King. Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships