Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 05:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,395,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I hate to say it, but having worked at McDonald's, I wouldn't be surprised if someone ordered a cheeseburger... without cheese, or ordered a cheeseburger, then complained when it had cheese on it (it's been a long time but it's possible I actually saw one or both of those things happen).

I learned very quickly there that many of the customers who treated me like *I* was dumb because I was working at a fast-food joint were the real idiots.
Followed up with, "are you callin' me a liar?!?!?"

----------------------------------------------

Seems customary in the south backpedal and respond "no, I'm just saying ______" as if this is was a threat.

I have regularly called people out on this: "You're a d*** liar!" and it's just met with a stare. Don't bluff me if you aren't ready to have it aired out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,782,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter found she was gluten-intolerant back when she was a teenager, before most people had heard of this.

The biggest eye-opener for me as a result of that was learning how many restaurants put FLOUR into their mashed potatoes. That's just so wrong.

I used to see people ask for substitutions when standing on line at a deli for breakfast before work. "I want the spinach and cheddar omelet, but can you make it with egg whites? And instead of spinach, do you have any broccoli? And I don't want the cheddar, so do you have any provolone? Don't put salt and pepper on it, just a little hot sauce. It comes with toast? Can I get a bagel instead? What? I have to pay extra for a BAGEL? I can't believe you're going to charge me extra for a BAGEL! It doesn't say that anywhere on the menu.

And there I am on line behind these people, starving, needing to get upstairs to the office, and I want to throttle them.

Retirement is good.
Doing this at a sit down restaurant is one thing. But I couldn't tolerate that at a deli standing behind them in line. That is exactly why guillotines were invented.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:16 PM

I want to add this. These people are not being jerks when they behave this way. They are pretty courteous, which is why I was wondering if there something to the "madness" in their method. For example, maybe it helps to build a better rapport with the waiter. I wonder about this sometimes.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,934,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I want to add this. These people are not being jerks when they behave this way. They are pretty courteous, which is why I was wondering if there something to the "madness" in their method. For example, maybe it helps to build a better rapport with the waiter. I wonder about this sometimes.
So they're courteous and polite to the server when asking if they can modify their meal...

What exactly is aggressive about that?

Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,195,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I am having a great deal of difficulty reconciling "pretty courteous" with "aggressive people."

Madness? Well.

I would tend to think they simply want to eat what they want to eat and as long as they're "pretty courteous" about it, the restaurant can comply with or deny their wishes.

Personally, I like to have rapport with my wait person, however, I have never considered this as a roadmap to same.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 PM

16,351 posts, read 12,336,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I guess I just don't see why you would go to a restaurant if you think the servers are poorly trained.

It's not always obvious what has gluten in it, especially if its made in house. As another poster said, some restaurants put flour in their potatoes. I remember having customers argue with me because a salad dressing had to be gf because it was glutton free elsewhere. For whatever reason, ours wasn't.

But as you say, you'll be the one who ends up sick. The servers and kitchen staff go through extensive training on the menu. They're the ones who know every ingredient that is in a dish, or at least know exactly where to look up such information. But sure, pretend like being gf somehow makes you more knowledgeable than the actual restaurant staff.
I'm not going to debate with you. My SOP has worked well for me. I don't expect servers to be trained on the ins and outs of every medical condition, including mine. And I'm not interested in entrusting my gastro intestinal wellness to the 18 year old who just took my order, no matter how well you think he may be trained on the menu.

And please don't try to educate me about hidden sources of gluten or the knowledge level of most restaurant staff. I promise I'm far better versed on the subject than you are, having lived it every single day for the past 5 years of my life.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So they're courteous and polite to the server when asking if they can modify their meal...

What exactly is aggressive about that?
How has what I have been describing NOT aggressive and pushy? Please explain.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,364,558 times
Reminds me of the time I went to one of my favorite New Mexican restaurants - one that has won national awards for their authentic food. It was between lunch and dinner and the only diners were myself and another party. The woman was rather pushy and wanted her enchiladas made with flour rather than corn tortillas which I guess is a Tex Mex thing. The waiter refused insisting that this was a burrito, not an enchilada, and she was welcome to order a burrito instead. She kept arguing with him but he held his ground - it helps if your grandparents were the original owners of the restaurant. She requested a couple of other deviations too without success. After the waiter left, she grumbled to her husband several times but he ignored her. She was also loud so I could not help but overhear. I got a big kick out of it.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,304,245 times
For me, it's all about how the wait staff is treated. I don't see anything wrong with just asking if you can make a substitution, as long as you're nice about it. The answer might be yes or no. Doesn't hurt to ask.

For instance, I don't drink dairy but like soy or almond milk in my coffee. So, I'll ask if they have it, if not, then I'll get tea instead. I'm vegan now (99% of the time, anyway) and so I'll ask if they have any vegan options, or if I can get something without dairy or milk. Around here, anyway, places are used to this.

But, I have been around people who are asking these questions in an annoying way, and in a nice way. Some people will embarrass you by the way they ask, others don't. So, I'm guessing this is the issue with the OP. I think it must be in the way they are asking. And, I always tip really well, too.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:23 AM

19,238 posts, read 15,106,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Reminds me of the time I went to one of my favorite New Mexican restaurants - one that has won national awards for their authentic food. It was between lunch and dinner and the only diners were myself and another party. The woman was rather pushy and wanted her enchiladas made with flour rather than corn tortillas which I guess is a Tex Mex thing. The waiter refused insisting that this was a burrito, not an enchilada, and she was welcome to order a burrito instead. She kept arguing with him but he held his ground - it helps if your grandparents were the original owners of the restaurant. She requested a couple of other deviations too without success. After the waiter left, she grumbled to her husband several times but he ignored her. She was also loud so I could not help but overhear. I got a big kick out of it.
lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships