U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2019, 04:48 PM
 
10,516 posts, read 12,728,045 times
Reputation: 3863

Advertisements

It's not quite as extreme as Jack Nicholson getting angry in the diner scene of "Five Easy Pieces" but this is sort of along the same lines.

What do you think when your lunch or dinner companion always wants to order special items that either aren't listed on the menu, or else always wants to modify the available menu items? Some go so far as to almost describe something that the waiter has never heard of.

I want to think the best of these people. But sometimes they make me nervous, and I worry that they might be offending the wait staff by being overly demanding. Even though, at the same time, something tells me that there might be a method to their madness.

What do you think of these people? Do you enjoy eating out with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 699,344 times
Reputation: 5289
It all depends on the changes requested, and the restaurant.

I'm careful about what I eat and will frequently ask them to prepare something without cheese, or without the poached egg on top, or with the dressing or sauce on the side. I know that cheaper and franchise places may be taking already-prepared dishes out of the freezer and microwaving them so they can't, but in most cases it's feasible. I don't ask for discounts if they leave something out, and if they can't make the modification I want and I can't just eat around it I order something else.

Of course it's possible to be unreasonable, but I don't think I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 04:57 PM
 
Location: So Cal
40,419 posts, read 39,942,794 times
Reputation: 41888
I recently went to lunch with Mrs. Chow and I ordered a burger medium. I get it and it's a hockey puck, I mean you could have broken a tooth on the thing. I bent over backwards and was as apologetic as I could be when I told the waiter about it and that it was almost inedible. The waiter was nice and all but I felt like a ****heel and again, I was as nice as I could be, even Mrs. Chow agreed that I was about as pleasant as I could be.

That was the second time in my life that I've ever sent anything back. I just don't wanna be that fussy annoying and frankly pain the rear customer. That applies with the special orders. Most restaurants are really pretty good about accommodating people, at least in my experience. I have never dined out with someone that I would call "aggressive" when ordering their food so I can't comment on that part.

The funny thing is is that when the burger came back out it was so rare that I couldn't hardly eat it.

The kitchen cook gave me a big FU.

I didn't say anthing again because I didn't want my food coming back with god know what in it.

That was the second time we went there and the food basically sucked both times. I tipped the waiter well for his efforts and we decided that we are never going to eat there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,894 posts, read 13,645,023 times
Reputation: 11513
The only time I've known anyone to order something not on the menu (or modify something from the menu so drastically it barely resembles it) is when they have certain food allergies or health restrictions.

My dad for example, can't have the vast majority of spices or seasonings (not even black pepper), and he's also lactose intolerant and also has bad reactions to acidic foods, and for health reasons needs to stay away from a lot of salt. He basically usually winds up ordering unseasoned chicken or salmon with no sauces and some kind of equally unseasoned vegetables. We joke that he basically has to order "no flavor" but no, it doesn't bother me, since it's not his fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM
 
3,958 posts, read 1,688,304 times
Reputation: 8040
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It all depends on the changes requested, and the restaurant.

I'm careful about what I eat and will frequently ask them to prepare something without cheese, or without the poached egg on top, or with the dressing or sauce on the side. I know that cheaper and franchise places may be taking already-prepared dishes out of the freezer and microwaving them so they can't, but in most cases it's feasible. I don't ask for discounts if they leave something out, and if they can't make the modification I want and I can't just eat around it I order something else.

Of course it's possible to be unreasonable, but I don't think I am.
I donít think thatís unreasonable. I do that as well and ask for them to leave off onions, mayo, or put sauce/dressing on the side. Sometimes I might ask them to swap out a side as well if I see something else with side X and I really donít like side Y that comes with the main dish Iíve ordered (like I want a vegetable and it comes with mashed potatoes, for example). In many cases they are more than happy to make the changes, but if they cannot, then it is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Reputation: 23159
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's not quite as extreme as Jack Nicholson getting angry in the diner scene of "Five Easy Pieces" but this is sort of along the same lines.

What do you think when your lunch or dinner companion always wants to order special items that either aren't listed on the menu, or else always wants to modify the available menu items? Some go so far as to almost describe something that the waiter has never heard of.

I want to think the best of these people. But sometimes they make me nervous, and I worry that they might be offending the wait staff by being overly demanding. Even though, at the same time, something tells me that there might be a method to their madness.

What do you think of these people? Do you enjoy eating out with them?
If it were 'always' I think I might find a new dinner companion. OTOH my daughter always makes the same special requests at her favorite restaurant, and tells me that it came about as the result of a discussion with her waiter on an early visit. They always seem happy to accommodate and don't charge her her extra for the substitutions so it's all good I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 699,344 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If it were 'always' I think I might find a new dinner companion. OTOH my daughter always makes the same special requests at her favorite restaurant, and tells me that it came about as the result of a discussion with her waiter on an early visit. They always seem happy to accommodate and don't charge her her extra for the substitutions so it's all good I guess.
I've gone to places where I ask them to give me a dish without the fries that come with it and they ask if I'd like another side instead- usually a nice, green vegetable. I always appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,596 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Reputation: 45669
Can you give a couple examples?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 07:01 PM
 
10,516 posts, read 12,728,045 times
Reputation: 3863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Can you give a couple examples?
One thing is to literally ask for a dish that is not listed on the menu, and describe to the waiter the basic ingredients and how to cook it if he is not familiar with it.

If their demand is not quite that extreme (on that particular day), then it would still be more demanding than the kinds of things which people have been describing in their responses here so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,596 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Reputation: 45669
They are asking, not demanding. I have asked for a dish that used to be on the menu, and they made it for me, another time they no longer carried the ingredients.

Hardly a big deal. Is this the same friend who wanted to eat at a restaurant a half hour before it closed which caused you concern also?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top