Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Is there some confusion about how the referral actually occurred? Like, were you sitting around in a conversation, and you said hey if you're looking for a great apartment complex, the one we live in is great, you should check it out, and then your roommate said yeah I really love it too, great location, great management, etc.?

If not - if your roommate wasn't in on the conversation and didn't also mention the apartment complex, then no, she's off-balance requesting half the reward.

That's as if someone came over and said oh look, there's a $20 under your table, it just blew down from on the table, must be one of you two's. And it was your $20, and you had just placed it on the table in preparation for paying your check. And your roommate said hey, the person who discovered the 20 didn't know whose it was, mine or yours, so I get $10.

She just wants your stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 04:21 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Op what did you do? It’s yours but if you don’t share do you feel like you roommate will be mad and life then gets difficult? If you do share it make it clear it was for you but you are sharing it from the goodness of your heart. Good luck with this.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsytoes12 View Post
My roomie asked about the gift card and asked to split it. I was put in a weird spot and caught off guard. Don't know what to do. On one end I don't think she deserves it cause I am the one who referred/feel cheated and the other end I should pick and choose my battles. Do I want to save 50 bucks and cause tension/conflict with my roommate?
The majority of responders completely ignored and disregarded this aspect of the OP's question when giving their advice, highlighted by the ridiculous comment below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Tell her she doesn’t even know who was referred. Take a hike.
Umm, did you forget that they live together? Telling her simply to take a hike will lead to a tension-filled home life - - - or worse.

Now the two posters below definitely get it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Use the gift card to go out and eat with the roomie or buy groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
So...down to business. What will the repercussions be? This kind of thing brings out some odd responses...anger, passive aggressive scarey stuff, lies to your friends, theft of your small things, suddenly moving out.

I would do the sportsman ah, all's ok, lets go out and get that good meal like we talked about. A 'we' thing. And take it as a life lesson to cover your bases in the areas you learned about this time.
Excellent advice! Fifty bucks is not worth ruining one's home life. You don't need to just hand it to your roomie though; as suggested, use the whole $100 toward a night on the town, or use it to purchase something that the two of you can use in the apartment (groceries or something else).

Old 04-27-2019, 06:09 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The majority of responders completely ignored and disregarded this aspect of the OP's question when giving their advice, highlighted by the ridiculous comment below:

Umm, did you forget that they live together? Telling her simply to take a hike will lead to a tension-filled home life - - - or worse.

Now the two posters below definitely get it:

Excellent advice! Fifty bucks is not worth ruining one's home life. You don't need to just hand it to your roomie though; as suggested, use the whole $100 toward a night on the town, or use it to purchase something that the two of you can use in the apartment (groceries or something else).
I would suggest a compromise; he keeps half, spends the other half on going out to dinner or a nice lunch for the two of them. Maybe he could really use the 50 bucks, ya know?

If he does that, though, it means he gets half of any referrals she provides to the manager, or at least--a dunner. Two-way street, and all.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:39 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Sounds like you will be looking for a new roomie, pretty soon, no matter how you decide.
Keep the money, and start looking.

You've just learned how mercenary and greedy your roommate is. Take the advice offered in the post I quoted.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is there some confusion about how the referral actually occurred? Like, were you sitting around in a conversation, and you said hey if you're looking for a great apartment complex, the one we live in is great, you should check it out, and then your roommate said yeah I really love it too, great location, great management, etc.?

If not - if your roommate wasn't in on the conversation and didn't also mention the apartment complex, then no, she's off-balance requesting half the reward.

That's as if someone came over and said oh look, there's a $20 under your table, it just blew down from on the table, must be one of you two's. And it was your $20, and you had just placed it on the table in preparation for paying your check. And your roommate said hey, the person who discovered the 20 didn't know whose it was, mine or yours, so I get $10.

She just wants your stuff.
This. Some people actually do stuff like that.

"Hey, look what I found in your coat pocket! "

"That's my [expensive fountain-] pen!"

(snatch) "Finders, keepers!"

"That's my pen! What are you doing?!"

"I found it! It's mine, now!"

Old 04-27-2019, 07:30 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. Some people actually do stuff like that.

"Hey, look what I found in your coat pocket! "

"That's my [expensive fountain-] pen!"

(snatch) "Finders, keepers!"

"That's my pen! What are you doing?!"

"I found it! It's mine, now!"

Some thieves think that anything that is left unguarded, is by rights, theirs to take. They say that if they don't take it, then someone else will.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:33 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsytoes12 View Post
My roomie and I are in college living in one of the apartment complexes. So I referred my ex girlfriend and her roomie to rent one of the apartment complex that I am living in. They asked my ex girlfriend who referred them and they said my name. They said they will give the gift card after 90 days. Well the manager of the apartment complex sent a text recently to both me and my roomie that there is a 100 dollar card for us to come pick up. I go there and pick it up they tell me they didn't know who referred so they will just let us fight over it.

My roomie asked about the gift card and asked to split it. I was put in a weird spot and caught off guard. Don't know what to do. On one end I don't think she deserves it cause I am the one who referred/feel cheated and the other end I should pick and choose my battles. Do I want to save 50 bucks and cause tension/conflict with my roommate?
It's a questions of doing what's fair and or what is generous. Is your roommate generous with sharing her things with you or is she strictly what's mine is mine. In any event I would make it clear that your ex-girlfriend gave management your name and there was a mix-up in the text message that should have only been sent to you. Depending upon the relationship, you could add but you've been generous with me so I'm happy to split it with you. Otherwise, you could just say sorry for the mix-up; I made the referral so I'm entitled to the gift card.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:38 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You've just learned how mercenary and greedy your roommate is. Take the advice offered in the post I quoted.

This!!!

Old 04-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
It's a questions of doing what's fair and or what is generous. Is your roommate generous with sharing her things with you or is she strictly what's mine is mine. In any event I would make it clear that your ex-girlfriend gave management your name and there was a mix-up in the text message that should have only been sent to you. Depending upon the relationship, you could add but you've been generous with me so I'm happy to split it with you. Otherwise, you could just say sorry for the mix-up; I made the referral so I'm entitled to the gift card.
This really isn't so hard, OP, unless your roomie has on other occasions shown herself to be the petty, vindictive type. To give in to her attempt to fleece you, because you fear some kind of retribution, would be giving into thuggery, whether real or imagined. Do people really have this much trouble being politely assertive? If so, it means we're a nation of easy marks for scam artists.

If you really do struggle with that, though, you could take her out for a beer, or for a modest dinner, with part of the money, keeping half for yourself. If she's unhappy about that, rather than going along with the gesture, t's time to get this mooch out of your life. Were you both assigned to the apartment by university housing administration? Are you stuck with the arrangement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships