U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 03:34 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,789,135 times

Advertisements

Be it social or home. The 3 p's hold true:
People First.
Phones second.
Paper last.

It's been a system that works.

My friends and I actually love to disconnect from technology...when enjoying an evening dinner or event. Our vm captures the important stuff. And out text is set to automate a response.

Unless it's publishers clearinghouse saying I won 200 million for life..I'm not going to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 05:38 PM

42 posts, read 13,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It sounds like she just isn't used to carrying the cell phone.
I agree

Old 04-28-2019, 05:31 AM

16,025 posts, read 19,567,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Met a friend for lunch the other day. Hadn't seen her in a month and was looking forward to catching up. I always turn my phone off and never thought about my friends, whether she turned hers off or not. I never thought about it until it started to ring. Her phone is set on the old fashion phone ring and it was turned up very loud. I mentioned it being too loud and she blamed it on her husband for the settings. When it rang it was a bit alarming. She looked at it and said, "Alabama?" She answered it and began arguing with a person who turned out to be a stranger but my friend turned into this indignant person and gave them hell for calling and hung up.

I thought ok, and moved on with talking and the meal. Then it rang again. I now thought this is too bizarre. My friend is not a cell phone user, like hanging on it forever, so I thought this was getting odd. She does the same thing, states what state the call is coming from and then answers it and starts to argue with the person about calling her. At this point I told her to just ignore and then block the numbers, or turn it off. She said it was on in case her husband called which is ridiculous or put it on vibrate..

Anyway, this happened a total of 4 times in a 2hr period. I realized my friend wanted to fight with someone, she was angry.

My friend has never done this before. I also know when I meet her again I have to be more direct and tell her to knock it off.

What have you done when this happens? Just curious. I mentioned it to other friends and it was a surprise to them.
My youngest adult son used to do this...it pissed me off so I told him it was rude. He quit doing it. Speak up....or don't meet her for lunch anymore.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:02 AM

603 posts, read 258,219 times
It's rather annoying. Wife and I go eat out now and then. I usually keep my phone on vibrate. Wife is starting to do that too but will leave it on "loud mode" in case her mother or sisters call. Just in case there's an emergency.

We could be in one of our usual restaurants and there could be groups of people eating at the table or booth. I mean, they're having good conversations. Their phones ring and yes, they'll answer it and talk talk talk. With some of the people in their group around just listening, talking over the one on phone and some that outright looks annoyed.

I say out loud, boy that phone call must be very important! I know I'm wrong and should mind my business, but it does get aggravating when we're talking and some rather annoying ringtones starts up. Could be behind, in front or side of us. At times, some people in that group will smile at me or give me a thumbs up. "Phoney" person would be annoyed. Haha..

I smile and tell my wife that it feels awesome to disconnect from the slave to the grind life and enjoy our moments together with just us and not be bothered by anyone else.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 AM

10,233 posts, read 9,320,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I'm the OP. I did think it was rude. But also, who answers calls that are obviously unsolicited/unknown? That is what she did. And she argued with each person on the end of the line. What??? Just didn't make sense.

I understand if someone says to me, my husband/daughter is having a hard time and I want to be available, I get that... but answering unknown callers????
I was at a friend's house and right in the middle of me relating something her cell phone rang. She looked at the screen and said, "It's not a number I recognize" and took the call. Then she proceeded to go on an on about all of the robocalls she receives and by that time I forgot what I was saying anyway - ha, maybe it was boring and she was glad the phone rang?

Too many are addicted to their phones and can't even manage to go to the bathroom without having it right next to them.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:46 AM

2,921 posts, read 3,928,384 times
My wife and I leave our cell phones alone at dinner, the movies and resturants. The twins are 10 1/2 and don't have cell phones.......we are an anomaly. Everywhere we go we see couples and children on phones. I hope we can continue for another few years but society is changing and unfortunately (my opinion) cell phones are becoming part of our culture.

I am a supervisor and I had to tell my younger employees not to send me voice texts when they call in sick before hours on my voicemail along with Face Book IM's.

Little by little society is leaning us towards our phones with apps, bill paying, purchases, boarding passes, sending you codes by text (Social Security site does this along with others) and many other instances.

We have become the Jetsons

Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM

246 posts, read 203,559 times
I've never had anyone answer their phone while we went to a restaurant. Although with the friend I eat with the most, we usually will have our phones out, and might get texts or something. That doesn't bother me with that friend, and likewise if I was to get my phone out for a moment, it doesn't bother me.

But at family dinners, my phone stays off or in the car, I never have it out or look at it at the dinner table. To me that would be rude.

And yes, once I went out for dinner with a group of people. Most of them were younger people. Each of them began to get out their phones and play with them. One of the older of the group said "No, no, no, we're not playing on our phones, we're going to interact with each other."

Sometimes I think that's what people need to hear.

Also, for the record, I have a smart phone, but I'm not the type that's glued to it all the time. Some days I don't even use the thing to be honest.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 PM

565 posts, read 117,230 times
My wife and I went out to eat the other night. As our order was being taken, two 20- ish couples were seated at the table across from us. We noticed the two females and two males, never carried on ANY conversation with each other, from the time they were seated and had placed their order.

All four of them had their faces downward and were texting on their phones. They only looked up from their phones, when their food arrived.

It is sad really, how these electronic devices are handicapping the young people's social development skills today.

JMO

Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 PM

9,183 posts, read 9,159,768 times
I start with asking the person to take the phone off the table, if it's there.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:30 AM

2,928 posts, read 1,526,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I start with asking the person to take the phone off the table, if it's there.
And if 'the person' refuses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships