Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:46 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times

Advertisements

Met a friend for lunch the other day. Hadn't seen her in a month and was looking forward to catching up. I always turn my phone off and never thought about my friends, whether she turned hers off or not. I never thought about it until it started to ring. Her phone is set on the old fashion phone ring and it was turned up very loud. I mentioned it being too loud and she blamed it on her husband for the settings. When it rang it was a bit alarming. She looked at it and said, "Alabama?" She answered it and began arguing with a person who turned out to be a stranger but my friend turned into this indignant person and gave them hell for calling and hung up.

I thought ok, and moved on with talking and the meal. Then it rang again. I now thought this is too bizarre. My friend is not a cell phone user, like hanging on it forever, so I thought this was getting odd. She does the same thing, states what state the call is coming from and then answers it and starts to argue with the person about calling her. At this point I told her to just ignore and then block the numbers, or turn it off. She said it was on in case her husband called which is ridiculous or put it on vibrate..

Anyway, this happened a total of 4 times in a 2hr period. I realized my friend wanted to fight with someone, she was angry.

My friend has never done this before. I also know when I meet her again I have to be more direct and tell her to knock it off.

What have you done when this happens? Just curious. I mentioned it to other friends and it was a surprise to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
It sounds like she just isn't used to carrying the cell phone.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Ask her to turn it off. Very rude

Old 04-26-2019, 03:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
unfortunately I phones are a way of life with most people..

whether in restaurants or around the family table...

what I will do before we sit down at the table....or if im in a restaurant or at the movies....or anywhere else it might be rude to answer....I announce "im shutting down my phone until after the meal....it would be rude to all of you to answer it" after saying this.....most everyone will do the same..

Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what I will do before we sit down at the table....or if im in a restaurant or at the movies....or anywhere else it might be rude to answer....I announce "im shutting down my phone until after the meal....it would be rude to all of you to answer it" after saying this.....most everyone will do the same..
Frankly, I'd get up and walk out. I don't need friends who talk to me like that if I've done nothing wrong to warrant it.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:21 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I might agree it’s rude for your friend to leave it on and answer unimportant phone calls during dinner… But to those of you who have answered so far… Do you seriously make demands on your friends that they must turn off the phone when they are with you? Do friends really do that? Friends are not like your children that you can just tell what to do. One either accepts and shrugs off the quirky behaviors of our friends or we don’t.

My two cents.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
unfortunately I phones are a way of life with most people..

whether in restaurants or around the family table...

I would not do the same if I was out to dinner with someone who made such an announcement. I would be wondering why they need to completely shut down their phone I have the self control to not answer my phone Everytime it rings, and can also wait to respond to any text messages as well.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Frankly, I'd get up and walk out. I don't need friends who talk to me like that if I've done nothing wrong to warrant it.
You would walk out on a friend for making a statement like at a restaurant? I think I would just say "good for you" now let's get a drink.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:14 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
quote:
"What have you done when this happens?"

remain calm and quiet.
i have found that total and complete
silence is the best remedy for me.
only AFTER she is finished and actually
ASKS me a question, do i respond.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Personally, I think it's rude. We used to have phones in our homes and were actually able to leave our homes for hours. We'd come home and maybe find some messages, and maybe answer them. The fact that people now think they have to answer every call is, well, there are a few things I can think and none are really kind lol. Try being in retail and waiting on someone who answers the phone and leaves the line to talk, then gets mad that you took the next person in line!

I have a relative that gets all up in arms if I can't make an event they plan. But when I do go, they are the ones texting, facebooking and talking on the phone. My phone is on silent in my pocket.

Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships