U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 03:10 PM

42 posts, read 13,708 times

Advertisements

I'm at an age where my peers all have grandchildren. One has a great grand.
I have no grandchildren. Never wanted any and will never have any. I was not close with my own grandparents. I'm not patient with children, and have no interest in them.

These women are very invested in their GC. All conversations will quickly become about who had babies or is starting school or other activities. They try to show me pictures. And of course social media posts are filled with this fascination. Many of these women do other things. But they fit it in around the GC.

What is the big deal about your son's or daughter's children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 03:18 PM

6,482 posts, read 4,069,179 times
I have children, but no grandchildren (yet, and maybe not ever, who knows?) I wonder about this too because I notice that even my friends & acquaintances who rarely talked about their children, just can't stop yapping and posting about their grandchildren. It's extremely boring.

I did not have doting grandparents myself, and neither my parents nor my in-laws were doting grandparents to my children. Loving, yes, but their lives did not revolve around them. So maybe that has something to do with it, not having any examples of this kind of behavior in my family?

Last edited by saibot; 04-27-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 03:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 488,905 times
IMO, the fascination with gc is harmless.. and I understand that it kind of brings back the good old days..

But ultimately, at least in part, I think it is a result of boredom with ones own life.

Although I also want to say that raising children can be so complicated these days, it can be a good thing for a grandparent to be available to help.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:40 PM

101 posts, read 28,688 times
I think it's because grandkids generally have all the positives of children and non of the negatives...I love my kids but I honestly I can't wait to be a grandma either lol! no worrying about homework/school, illness, lack of sleep etc..just the fun of "spoiling" them! I can't wait!

Old 04-27-2019, 03:46 PM

3,544 posts, read 1,355,757 times
grandchildren are like toys: wind them up and let them go (home).

Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I think it's because grandkids generally have all the positives of children and non of the negatives...I love my kids but I honestly I can't wait to be a grandma either lol! no worrying about homework/school, illness, lack of sleep etc..just the fun of "spoiling" them! I can't wait!
I hear this a lot, but I have also heard young parents complain that the grandparents love to "spoil" their children by doing things like feeding them sweets, buying them lavish gifts, and letting them stay up late, and the parents are supposed to cheerfully put up with the negative consequences of these actions. It seems really unfair and selfish of the grandparents. I would have hated to be undermined this way.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:16 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,475,834 times
If you don’t like the idea of grandkids nothing we say will change your mind. But those of us who love them nothing can change our minds. I think that it’s watching them grow knowing I’m not in charge of them, makes me love them and pray for them to be safe and loved.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:19 PM

4,841 posts, read 1,213,947 times
I don't see this as any different from going on and on about your own kids, which I find most parents do. In many cases, it's just a way of bragging. But not always. Sometimes it's just what you are dealing with in your life. But I find I can't be friends with many people who talk about their kids 100% of the time.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
If you donít like the idea of grandkids nothing we say will change your mind. But those of us who love them nothing can change our minds. I think that itís watching them grow knowing Iím not in charge of them, makes me love them and pray for them to be safe and loved.
I can't speak for the OP, but it's not that I "don't like the idea of grandkids." I know that if I had some, I would love them. What you said makes sense. What I don't understand is the obsession many people (mostly women) have with their grandkids, it's like they can't think or talk about anything else.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:23 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,475,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but it's not that I "don't like the idea of grandkids." I know that if I had some, I would love them. What you said makes sense. What I don't understand is the obsession many people (mostly women) have with their grandkids, it's like they can't think or talk about anything else.
Well itís probably the same type of person that nonstop talks about their kids. They will nonstop obsess over grandkids. I know some like this. I donít do that. But the overwhelming amount of love for them is surprising for me, and probably others,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or