U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 AM

8,970 posts, read 2,915,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Powdered milk doesn't have the calcium content of regular milk, I discovered, after a phase of using powdered milk. And I agree; Coca Cola and similar drinks do taste terrible! What a strange invention!
The amino acids in the protein of dehydrated milk will be damaged by the process and the time it spends in storage before you use it. However, I never drink milk anymore, but include a daily pint of non-fat, plain yogurt with my meals instead. A while back, I made an unpleasant discovery when I bought a quart of non-fat milk. It was made from powdered milk, which gives it a distinct, stale taste. Years ago, the non-fat milk I bought was fresh. I should mention that even non-fat yogurt has its milk solids from fresh, non-fat milk bolstered by 50% more from dehydrated milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 AM

37,705 posts, read 14,639,964 times
"There's plenty for everybody. I've counted."

Read this in a book about entertaining during WWII when food was indeed rationed.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:28 AM

37,705 posts, read 14,639,964 times
I have a relative who is like this. She shows up with two sacks of empty containers at Thanksgiving, a Mrs. Smith pie, and her family who eat like this is their first decent meal in months. She goes home with enough leftovers to feed them for a week.

But when she invites the family over, it is hamburgers from frozen patties, baked beans from a can, and a sack of potato chips. I'm not kidding.

They are cheap, cheap, cheap.

However, to be fair, they don't make much of a presentation of it.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:06 AM

20,840 posts, read 11,550,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
I think that they should bring a party-sized amount of something, at the very least. Being adults, presumably they have seen what a serving bowl at a party looks like. They should copy that. Not everyone likes or wants everything but bringing basically an amount that would be a side only for your household dinner is ridiculous.
I agree that enough for 4 people would be too little but I think if everyone brought party sized amounts, you'd end up with way too much food.

I recently went to a very large potluck for culture night at my son's school, and they asked everyone to bring a dish that could serve 6 to 8 people. Some people brought more because if it was a casserole or something, the recipe is enough to fill the baking dish, but it was still a typical amount that people make when they cook that dish. Most people didn't take a full serving anyway because they wanted to a chance to try a variety of things but it was helpful to have that serving size as a guideline. And there were a few hundred people there, so as one dish got emptied, there was always another to take it's place. Depending on when you went through the line, you may have had a completely different variety of food to choose from, but there was plenty for everyone.

For 50 people, I would probably want to plan a little more, but if there were specific items, such as deviled eggs, I would have a few people assigned to make those, so that everyone could make a reasonable amount but there would still be plenty to go around. I've been to big family Thanksgivings where it's like that. You might have 4 people bringing mashed potatoes so that each one can make a big batch but no one is trying to make enough to serve 40 or 50 people. And you can still say "bring enough mashed potatoes for 8 people" so that everyone knows what the expectations are. I'm sure there are still some people who are a combination of lazy and greedy and will slack off, but there should still be enough to go around if everyone else assigned to a particular food or category of food brings enough.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:23 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,748,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Of course they can function without coffee. They just don't want to.

Morning coffee is a comforting ritual. Like every ritual, it probably looks weird to people who don't practice it.
Right - I like hot tea but I don't "get" the whole afternoon tea ritual in the UK. But that's OK. If I lived there I might understand it, and I don't criticize people who do it anyway.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 AM

5,287 posts, read 2,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I agree that enough for 4 people would be too little but I think if everyone brought party sized amounts, you'd end up with way too much food.

I recently went to a very large potluck for culture night at my son's school, and they asked everyone to bring a dish that could serve 6 to 8 people. Some people brought more because if it was a casserole or something, the recipe is enough to fill the baking dish, but it was still a typical amount that people make when they cook that dish. Most people didn't take a full serving anyway because they wanted to a chance to try a variety of things but it was helpful to have that serving size as a guideline. And there were a few hundred people there, so as one dish got emptied, there was always another to take it's place. Depending on when you went through the line, you may have had a completely different variety of food to choose from, but there was plenty for everyone.

For 50 people, I would probably want to plan a little more, but if there were specific items, such as deviled eggs, I would have a few people assigned to make those, so that everyone could make a reasonable amount but there would still be plenty to go around. I've been to big family Thanksgivings where it's like that. You might have 4 people bringing mashed potatoes so that each one can make a big batch but no one is trying to make enough to serve 40 or 50 people. And you can still say "bring enough mashed potatoes for 8 people" so that everyone knows what the expectations are. I'm sure there are still some people who are a combination of lazy and greedy and will slack off, but there should still be enough to go around if everyone else assigned to a particular food or category of food brings enough.
Figuring out the proportions depends how much pre-planning the organizer wants to do. The planner might figure most people will try most foods but not all of them, and more will try more desserts than will try more vegetables and salads. So he or she could state “bring a dessert for x people” but still has to think how many different desserts are being brought in, too.

At a potluck we used to be part of, a signup sheet went around breaking down categories of food, such as bread/rolls, veggie or salad, other side dish, entrees, desserts, and so on. People who signed up were sort of left to volunteering to bring in categories that had not been spoken for yet, so if you wanted to bring a specific thing, you’d better sign up early. It was not a perfect system, but no such thing exists anyway. People will eat what they feel like. The good thing is that often, if a category is underrepresented, people take smaller servings of it, even splitting pie slices further. MOST people try to think of others who have not yet eaten.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 AM

20,840 posts, read 11,550,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Figuring out the proportions depends how much pre-planning the organizer wants to do. The planner might figure most people will try most foods but not all of them, and more will try more desserts than will try more vegetables and salads. So he or she could state “bring a dessert for x people” but still has to think how many different desserts are being brought in, too.

At a potluck we used to be part of, a signup sheet went around breaking down categories of food, such as bread/rolls, veggie or salad, other side dish, entrees, desserts, and so on. People who signed up were sort of left to volunteering to bring in categories that had not been spoken for yet, so if you wanted to bring a specific thing, you’d better sign up early. It was not a perfect system, but no such thing exists anyway. People will eat what they feel like. The good thing is that often, if a category is underrepresented, people take smaller servings of it, even splitting pie slices further. MOST people try to think of others who have not yet eaten.
I think that is kind of what I was saying- although I was also making a distinction for something like a Thanksgiving dinner where the desire/expectation is to have specific foods, whatever is customary for that family or group. But I wouldn't expect one person to bring in mashed potatoes or string bean casserole or whatever for the entire group, I'd make sure that 5 people were bringing it, or however many separate casseroles were needed to have a sufficient amount for everyone.

For a more casual event, we tend to do categories vs. specifics so say 3 appetizers, 3 main courses, 3 side dishes, 4 desserts, whatever. And yes, if you want to make a specific thing, you need to sign up early enough to make sure you get your desired category. And then we just figure that there will be enough variety in each category that everyone can get at least one thing they like.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 535,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don't think rationing is the correct word. More a lack of understanding of providing options lol.

Years ago my boss invited everyone over to her house for a party. We all were in the backyard and she was barbecuing. There was no food as we were sitting around for what I consider cocktail hour. I thought it a bit odd, but dealt with it.

Then it was dinner time. She starts grilling and asks what I want with my burger. I asked her what are the options? Apparently none. You could have a burger, or a burger. Not even cheese. No sides, no lettuce, tomato etc. Just a burger, ketchup and mustard.

Needless to say we left the party early and went out to dinner.

Another time I went to a friend's lake house. I asked if we could bring anything, she said no, we have everything. So I brought a beautiful bouquet of flowers for her. We arrived and there is nothing in the house. No drinks, no food, nothing. I was STARVING. She then has a realization, she probably should have been a bit more prepared. We ended up going out!!

I had to laugh when I read this.All of these stories...dear GOD. I have never had to deal with these situations because I don't go over to anyone's home to eat.. or that is weird like that.I get it that some people ration maybe because of how they were brought up or mainly because they didn't have the money to buy much food.So..what I don't understand is why people who are dealing with issues like that think that it's fine to want to host a group of people over for a barbeque or dinner and just do it half-ass. Are they not aware of how it looks?
If I ever were to host a dinner party or barbeque of some sort,I would make sure to at least have enough food for 2nds at least. What are people thinking?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:58 AM

9,649 posts, read 6,941,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That's why you don't go stay with people - get a hotel. Take them to restaurants. Then you can eat when and what you want.

The hispanic culture is all about the food, so no issues with this type of thing here.

I have a friend that has to eat breakfast at 8, but i'm more the 3hr pajama lounging coffee drinker. So i understand that part. And so lunch is really the first meal of the day.
What I always noticed when I lived in Miami, among the many Cubans (maybe other hispanics as well?) was the offer of Cuban coffee to anyone and everyone they came across, friends, family, coworkers, even strangers or so it seemed. Everywhere I went, it seemed, they offered me Cuban coffee, poured from a little pot into a small fluted paper cup. What I always wondered was how that little pot they poured the coffee from had enough coffee(seemingly an endless supply) in it to serve everyone who happened to be around, and sometimes I'd kid the the folks who served the coffee about how that pot looked tiny but was really bottomless since it never seemed to run out of coffee.

I found this custom of serving Cuban coffee to one and all a warm and charming display of friendship/ hospitality and I usually accepted the coffee with the spirit with which it was offered. I liked the sweet expresso version of this coffee, but I really didn't like the "coffee con leche" version as I despise milk or cream and coffee con leche seemed at least half cream. I could drink it quickly when it was really hot, but occasionally it wasn't that hot, and I turned down the coffee con leche after a while, on the premise that if I didn't take any there would be more for those who really did like it.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:01 AM

6,145 posts, read 4,933,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I had to laugh when I read this.All of these stories...dear GOD. I have never had to deal with these situations because I don't go over to anyone's home to eat.. or that is weird like that.I get it that some people ration maybe because of how they were brought up or mainly because they didn't have the money to buy much food.So..what I don't understand is why people who are dealing with issues like that think that it's fine to want to host a group of people over for a barbeque or dinner and just do it half-ass. Are they not aware of how it looks?
If I ever were to host a dinner party or barbeque of some sort,I would make sure to at least have enough food for 2nds at least. What are people thinking?
i probably go over to someones house to eat only on major holidays

If we want to just get together to eat, we go to a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or