Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
Back then, hot dogs, fries and pop were an occasional treat, not a daily meal.
Very true. I was born in 1965. Growing up we went out to eat seldom. I could count on my hand how many times I went to McDonalds from the time I was born until I made my own money. Back then my dad worked and my mom took care of the house, including making breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We also did not have snacks in between meals. Eating between meals, we were told, would hurt our appetite. We also didn't drink soda much. In fact the only time I remember sugary drinks was during a birthday party or some special event. Back then we even raised our own food, grew a garden, had fruit trees. My mom baked bread, made our own cakes, cookies, and pies. Life was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Women did. They worried about too much "sweets" and "starches" (carbs). What people did concern themselves with, was overall nutrition; corn dogs and fries weren't considered "nutritious". There were mothers back then, who wouldn't allow their kids to have soft soda pop at all. It was believed that kids needed milk for growing strong bones, so the dinner beverage was typically milk.
Very true. We drank milk or water with dinner. Soft drinks were not a part of the deal growing up. And junk food was not happening in our home either. Once a week we would have what we called Family Home Evening. We would spend time together as a family. On that one night we would get a treat. I remember that was the night that it was ok to have some ice cream. Not an everyday occurrence, just that one day.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
Same here. Also born in '65. Grew up in NYC. McDonalds or White Castle was a rare treat, usually on Friday night here and there. The other 99.868% of the time it was home cooked meals. Breakfast (Wheatena, Cream of Wheat, oatmeal during the winter, cold cereal during the summer). Lunch was a sandwich, a piece of fruit. Dinner was whatever was being cooked. If you didn't want that, too bad! Occasional dessert was Jello, a piece of fruit or some homemade popcorn. No snacks in between.

Water, kool aid sometimes and milk. No sodas, except at bbq's.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 PM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
I'm not a big breakfast eater, just some peanut butter on toast is fine most days. Weekends my husband and I usually do something bigger but if we have guests I always make sure they know where coffee, juice, bread, etc is and if I have something big planned for breakfast I let them know along with letting them know if they are hungry earlier to please, please feel free to help themselves to something especially if they wake up before I do.

I stayed with a group a friends for a "girls weekend" and the hostess was not a breakfast eater at all and did a similar sit around and drink coffee for 3 hours. I don't require a big meal but even some toast or a muffin would have been very much appreciated.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, when I am a guest in someone's home I accept what they offer in the manner they choose to offer it. They don't have to explain or justify what they do in their own home. I don't second guess it or waste energy wondering about why they do what they do. If I decide I don't like how they eat I'll make other arrangements the next time.
So if someone invites you to stay with them and they offer you no breakfast of any sort it wouldn't even blip as odd? You wouldn't even wonder if or when it's going to be offered? Yes, I agree I would learn from experience and I certainly wouldn't demand any sort of explanation but I don't buy that you wouldn't even give it a thought or wonder why. That's all OP is doing. He's not asking if it's right or wrong even just if anyone else had the same experience.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The OP reminds me of a family I knew growing up and my brother went to the house to play baseball with their son . My brother came home and told me that the mother rationed out food each kid got an ice cream scoop of rice , one skinny chicken leg and a scoop of mixed vegetables . Ice water to drink . Well when their son came to our house he got a pepsi to drink like everyone else and a chilli dog and some French fries . He told my brother you all eat a lot . Now that I think back on that it breaks my heart to know that those kids might have been going hungry all the time . I know my dad used to comment on how skinny they were he just thought genetics maybe not hunger . I hope they fared well we lost touch with them when they moved .
I have a Facebook friend who's husband really enjoys grilling fancy meals and she posts pictures. A typical meal for them would be a 16 oz rib eye, a serving of 5 or 6 jumbo shrimp scampi, a huge baked potato and an ear of corn on the cob. That's per person. They currently have an exchange student from Spain and I often wonder what he thinks of those massive portions on a regular basis.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
So if someone invites you to stay with them and they offer you no breakfast of any sort it wouldn't even blip as odd? You wouldn't even wonder if or when it's going to be offered? Yes, I agree I would learn from experience and I certainly wouldn't demand any sort of explanation but I don't buy that you wouldn't even give it a thought or wonder why. That's all OP is doing. He's not asking if it's right or wrong even just if anyone else had the same experience.
This is why I stay in hotels when visiting family. If there aren't any nice hotels in their area (small town, or whatever reason) I invite them to travel and visit my area (staying in a hotel).

We're there to see each other when we're awake - so what if we're not sleeping under the same roof? If I want to wake up at 5:30 in the morning and get Starbucks before they get busy, I'm not waking up anyone in the process and can spend my morning how I like.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is why I stay in hotels when visiting family. If there aren't any nice hotels in their area (small town, or whatever reason) I invite them to travel and visit my area (staying in a hotel).

We're there to see each other when we're awake - so what if we're not sleeping under the same roof? If I want to wake up at 5:30 in the morning and get Starbucks before they get busy, I'm not waking up anyone in the process and can spend my morning how I like.
With the ex fiancee's family we were poor college students so couldn't afford hotels. Plus they probably would have been offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Exactly my point. There is something off about it.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
With the ex fiancee's family we were poor college students so couldn't afford hotels. Plus they probably would have been offended.
Fair point. If I didn't have the means, I wouldn't even go if I couldn't go on my terms. Not wasting my free time doing something that will make me miserable.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:34 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
My step mother was a rationer. She made and portioned things out and that’s all you got. No seconds. She was strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships