U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you pay your adult child to house sit?
Yes 2 10.53%
No 16 84.21%
$10-20/day 0 0%
$30-50/day 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:51 AM

592 posts, read 177,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWhome View Post
I love my daughter and I did pay her ($75 at first, then another $75 for a total of $150 cash for 4 days), but apparently I didn't pay her enough. I thought by giving her some cash ($75) along with all the food and paying for the cat food would be more than enough. I'm just wondering if this is the "new norm" because my parents never paid me to take care of their place. I just did it because they're my parents.

We do a lot of things for her and we wouldn't even think of charging her. I mean, we're happy to help out. She's our family. Maybe because her hours at work aren't where they were she was just thinking of it as a source of income. I was just shocked that she was so upset about it. I thought what I did do was enough.
This is not the "new norm" and I'm sorry that your child didn't think that your generosity was enough in exchange for housesitting and watching your pets. She has no right to be upset about it, but that's just my opinion. There's no way that I'd dream of charging my parents or friends for such a thing to begin with (and I've done free baby/house/pet sitting and done multiple airport runs for both over the years with nary a dime exchanging hands), but you know your own family dynamic better than any of us on this forum.

The situation is certainly not worth ruining your relationship with your child. It might be best, though, to never again ask her to do you a favor unless you're okay with negotiating agreed upon terms of service and payments for services rendered in advance.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 04-29-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 09:51 AM

16,907 posts, read 17,215,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Being paid to do a favor for a family member is a foreign concept to me.
I agree.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 AM

1,153 posts, read 336,721 times
My goodness, I would never have dreamed of taking money from my parents, sisters, friends for house sitting. A favor is a favor.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:08 PM

15,693 posts, read 26,676,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
She did. I paid her through our bank and I messaged her that I did. Later she messaged me asking how I came up with the $75 amount. I explained that since I bought them groceries, paid for the cat food and the cash that I thought it was enough. I said "was it too much or too low" and she messaged too low.
I find it interesting that you owe anything.

Since the subject is in front of us.

Lets say that you had called a service to do this for you. You would have asked what it was going to cost for them to watch your home. Or they would have informed you of the cost.

Since your daughter did not ask and you did not bring it up prior to her watching your home, neither of you have an agreement for payment. You could pay her nothing if you want to.

In your case, one of you will have to bend. Either you pay her the additional money to keep the peace and remember next time you need someone to watch the home, or she takes the $75 a day and remembers next time that it was not worth it to help her parent out.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM

6,807 posts, read 3,775,605 times
I would never ask for money to house sit for my parents... They’ve done a lot for me over the years and it would the least I could do for them. Plus.... when I travel they take care of my dogs for me.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,565,831 times
If they need the money, yes pay
Otherwise a gift card or out to eat
I would have never charged my parents for anything

Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM

5,409 posts, read 3,011,124 times
I think it depends whether the kid needs the money. When I was short on money, my folks offered to pay me to do things they would pay others to do if I didn't... sure. I house-sat, painted, detailed cars, mowed lawns.

If the kid is well off... they probably wouldn't accept it.... or shouldn't.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:09 PM

13,141 posts, read 20,713,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think it depends whether the kid needs the money. When I was short on money, my folks offered to pay me to do things they would pay others to do if I didn't... sure. I house-sat, painted, detailed cars, mowed lawns.

If the kid is well off... they probably wouldn't accept it.... or shouldn't.
I disagree that the daughter's financial status is relevant here. The only extra expenses she incurred involved extra gas and some very minor wear and tear on her car, both of which were covered by the initial $75 payment, the second $75 was gravy, along with the free cat food.

The daughter was less than , much less than, gracious. And I understand the OP not wanting to make waves over it, but I do hope her daughter matures quickly to the point of realizing how much her parents have given her over the years and how petty her demands now seem.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,265,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
She did. I paid her through our bank and I messaged her that I did. Later she messaged me asking how I came up with the $75 amount. I explained that since I bought them groceries, paid for the cat food and the cash that I thought it was enough. I said "was it too much or too low" and she messaged too low.
Oh dear. OP, did you make a new account for the purpose of asking this, and then forget and respond with your usual CD account?

Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM

6,080 posts, read 2,801,967 times
As someone who did house sit for my in laws. We loved every moment of it!! No money needed!
They had...a pool...a huge land...and each year when they left...we thru a party!! Ohh mind you we had rules to abide by. As the rule stood,everything back in place and functioning when they got back. We cleaned...cut the grass. All for the pleasure to host a blow out party.
They knew in advance so it wasn't secretive.
I wouldn't dream of being paid....gosh to rent a place like theirs was beyond our budget completely! It was like a mini vacation to stay there.

Not once did our guest behave badly or create problems.
Our biggest problem was turning in the keys cause we loved their country home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships