Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,148,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I say 'you earned it' to people who really did. I haven't been on social media in years.

I earn my leisurely weekends.
This is social media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:04 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,557,150 times
I got some “I deserve it” comments when I announced I hooked a new job in my field last month. I definitely appreciated those because it was months of work to get out of the crap hole I was at before. I’d never say that about material crap. I am very anti-consumerism and will do nothing to encourage it.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:51 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,472,081 times
Well, of course social media fosters the worst kind of attention seeking!

Offhand, I can't think of any 16-year-old who has done something so major as to deserve a car, unless it's someone like Malala Yousafzai, who I believe was nominated for a Nobel prize when she was 16.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 PM

17,189 posts, read 8,833,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"you deserve it" is a common sales pitch designed 14 years ago.
now that it is in the vernacular, everyone uses the phrase.
2005? Please explain.

OP, my first car was 10 years old also so I definitely get where you're coming from. That said, plain and simple, what you're feeling is jealousy.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 AM

2,142 posts, read 3,040,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

OP, my first car was 10 years old also so I definitely get where you're coming from. That said, plain and simple, what you're feeling is jealousy.
I’m not getting jealousy. I’m getting puzzlement about how a 16 year old “deserves” a new car and why people post self-serving info on social media.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 AM

24,006 posts, read 10,367,518 times
Big green eyes here

The girl got a car at 16 and some CD posters did not.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:22 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,734,693 times
Would your opinion of this specific situation change if you found out:

- the girl had been babysitting, saving/investing, doing oddjobs since age 9 to pay for it, and paid for 100% of it? what about 50%?
- the girl made straight A's in all advanced classes while also essentially raising her 2 siblings because one of her parents is disabled? and the car was for her to not just drive herself and her siblings, but also the disabled parent to doctor's appointments?

does she "deserve" a new car when there are hundreds of millions of kids around the world that are hoping to get a meal today? probably not.

but it's just a nice thing to say.

you don't think all girls actually think all other girls are "so pretty" when they comment that in their friends' profiles, do you?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 7,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I notice sometimes on Facebook or other media, I see people posting pictures of their new car, house etc. In the comments I invariably see "You deserve it!"

Recently I saw a post on Facebook where parents surprised their 16 year old daugher with a new Honda Accord. It was close to new if not. In comments I saw that same comment "You deserve it". And maybe, the daughter paid for part of it, maybe she worked for it, it's really not my business.

But I can tell you at 16 a new car was not even a thought. I got my first car, 10 years old at 21. I guess you could say my family bought it, I saved most of my birthday money for years, and my parents paid for a bit of it and I used that to pay it on cash. It was not fancy, but I was proud of it. When it was time to trade it in this year, I got a 2 year old used car but nicer this time. But this time I paid the down payment with my money and pay my own payments.

I don't think a 16 year old needs a new fancy car. I certainly never thought I did.

How do you feel about that, has anyone said that to you, were there cases where you think you did deserve it?

I guess at times I've felt like I've deserved something, like a nice day to myself after a week I thought was stressful, something like that.

I don't think I've ever felt like I deserved material things. Just because I have a job doesn't mean I deserve a house or a new car, I don't think. Although I've never posted about getting a car on Facebook. Do you think we post about these things to feel approval, or importance. Usually when I see these posts they are popular people and get lots of likes and happy comments from them. If I were to do so, I wouldn't get many, because I'm not popular. But that doesn't mean I should feel any less happy for myself, because nobody else noticed, or I didn't get their approval.

Do you think social media can bring a seeking of approval, of being noticed?
Thank you for an amazing post. I'm fascinated. Anyway, I don't see it very attractive to other people. People are using Facebook for their self-promotion, or hating other people. They want to pay attention on theirs lives, with any weapon who they find powerful or attractive. I would like to say that at mine youth days ( I'm grown woman now ) most of the time I used to read books. Anything that would fall at my hands at the library. After some time in further now in near past I come to conclusion that that time was not worth of losing. But .... Now I can find that time WORTH. And I'm grateful that I spend it. I would not change nothing.
You deserve only better and more qualitative life. Nothing else.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,947,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well yes, social media is a great vehicle for seeing approval. But the more interesting question is why does it bother you? I'm getting a whiff of sour grapes.

That's what I'm wondering. I can't be happy, or proud of what I have? I wasn't supposed to show pictures of our new house all those years ago? I wasn't supposed to show off pictures of our new car we bought 2 years ago?

And I'll flip the narrative...why DON'T I deserve the things I have? I don't begrudge others the things THEY have. There are people who live a lifestyle far far above my pay grade...and more power to them. I want them to enjoy their lives...and I want to enjoy mine. (And I will.)

Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
That's what I'm wondering. I can't be happy, or proud of what I have? I wasn't supposed to show pictures of our new house all those years ago? I wasn't supposed to show off pictures of our new car we bought 2 years ago?

And I'll flip the narrative...why DON'T I deserve the things I have? I don't begrudge others the things THEY have. There are people who live a lifestyle far far above my pay grade...and more power to them. I want them to enjoy their lives...and I want to enjoy mine. (And I will.)
That's fine.

I don't like seeing them when i just gave them 100 dollars towards their gofundme for an "emergency" -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships