Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Refresher question for this thread:

Waitstaff...

Would you make more money if EVERYONE tipped EXACTLY 15%, no stiffs and no overage, or...

Your current mix of no tippers, low tippers, and high rollers?
I bartend for weddings, corporate events etc. Most corporate events are awful as few drink a lot. Weddings are a whole different ballgame. Since we actually supply the bar and bill for usage, the 15% would be hard. It probably evens out in the long run. Obviously it depends on the clientele also - people who work in the service industry are good tippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:44 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:

Waitstaff...

Would you make more money if EVERYONE tipped EXACTLY 15%, no stiffs and no overage, or...

No tippers are very, very, very rare...and I work at a place that gets a lot of European vacationers.

Overall I would personally make less money under your scenario.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:12 AM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:

Waitstaff...

I used to waitress and almost NEVER did someone leave no tip. Our manager would actually stop the patrons on their way out, even going into the parking lot, when that happened. No tip or ~10% or less and he'd put on his best worried face, go after them with a pad and pen, and ask them to let him know what was wrong with their experience, that they would leave no tip... for "training purposes or corrective action." Only one person, that I remember, still didn't leave a tip. The others said they forgot to leave one or didn't have enough cash on them. Or apologized.

Otherwise, I was tipped very well. If I didn't want to make a point of being home in the evenings for my teens, I would wait tables again. I made probably $400-500/week in tips from 3 or 4 dinner shifts of 4:30/5 to 9 or 10pm. One old man would come every Friday night, sit in "his" booth (the most ornate one, as this was an old-school, scrolls-and-panels-and-carved wood sort of club restaurant), have a few drinks and read, then tip me $100. He'd be there maybe an hour? And I'd never been so thin in my whole life - haha! - because after running around all night but smelling every kind of food, I had no appetite at all. Sometimes, I'd bring home a cup of chili or soup but usually, it just sat in the fridge. I just wanted to go to sleep.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:34 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I really don't use cash anymore. It's a rare day if I have $5-10 in my pocket, as i'm just so used to swiping the card.

Now with most services this isn't really a big deal as there's usually a "tip" field on the receipt I have to sign, but some of the other services don't offer this.

I once went to a hotel for a night after a concert and found it was valet parking only due to the way the hotels parking lot was designed. It wasn't a fancy hotel, but I was embarrassed to not have any cash on my for a tip. I actually went out and found an ATM and got some cash just to give to the valet.

I try to keep $20 in my pocket, but eventually I use it for small stuff since my interactions that require tipping (other than restaurants where I use a card anyway) are so rare. How do others deal with tipping when you don't carry cash?

Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 PM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
I like to carry cash for discounts and tips, even if it’s rounding down for sushi. Mechanics and service people are good for this- we’ll call it the barter system.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:46 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
The problem with not tipping on percentage: Can some customers really be expected to understand the amount of work that server had to do for them and tip accordingly? Or the amount of time they spent at the table and tip accordingly?
Maybe, maybe not. It's almost like the employer should set the wage instead of the customer.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Maybe, maybe not. It's almost like the employer should set the wage instead of the customer.
Then the employer would raise prices and/or decrease portion sizes.

You're going to pay one way or the other.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I was just reading an article about Uber drivers complaining that people don't tip. I recall at one time Uber didn't allow tips but they do now. In fact I was once told by a driver that he wouldn't take tips. But now it's expected.

Waitresses, bartenders and hotel maids traditionally get tips. But that was always because their "salary" wasn't even minimum wage in the case of the service industry, and with a maid it was more of a thanks for cleaning up my mess. But now with Airbnb (we have a few) no one leaves tips for our cleaning crew. I'm wondering if this is going to be like Uber...we don't expect it now but maybe in a few years I will read an article about how no one tips our cleaners.

What about baristas? Do you tip at Starbucks? Or at any fast food counters where there happens to be a jar?

Who gets a tip and who doesn't? What is your tipping policy?
It’s just a comment about the Airbnb. We just rented a luxury cabin in the smoky mountains with a group of other people from one of the private home rental sites. They had an envelope on the counter for tips for the cleaning crew. In the binder with the House rules, there was also a mention of tipping the cleaning crew. If you don’t leave an envelope or some other indication that there even is a cleaning crew to tip, they are not going to think of it on their own.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'll gladly pay higher prices so I don't have to tip.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 AM

82 posts, read 64,247 times
It wouldn't occur to me to tip at an Airbnb. I am not getting daily service and I already paid an additional cleaning fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships