U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2019, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,114 posts, read 10,240,962 times
Reputation: 32963

Advertisements

The worst are now the one's where where an ipad/tablet is involved.

I went to a bakery and got a muffin. They literally grabbed it from the glass case and put it in a box and handed it to me. I swiped my car and they flung around the iPad screen to me where it said HOW MUCH DO YOU WISH TO TIP. And the choices were something like:

30% - My experience was awesome!
25% - My experience was great!
20% - My experience was good.
15% - My experience was average.
Other

I had to pick other and type in 0%. Guess where I won't be going again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 AM
 
9,381 posts, read 13,341,991 times
Reputation: 5495
My experience with hairdressers is that if they are part of a salon where the salon gets a cut of the $$, I tip.


But if it is their own private practice (like they are doing your hair @ their house or something), they pocket ALL the $$, and therefore I do not tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM
 
2,309 posts, read 1,176,014 times
Reputation: 4987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yeah, I just saw those fees! I have never booked an Air BNB but I looked into it recently because we are going to go to Boston for a baseball game this summer. I was so mad when I saw how the advertised price rose by hundreds with all these fees they now charge! I couldn't bring myself to do it, it just felt too much like "bending over" and getting taken. We ended up booking a Holiday Inn, which wasn't much more but at least I don't feel like I'm being raked over the coals. It's like Ticketmaster, you have to pay a "convenience fee" and a "handling fee" and 10 other fees they make up just because they can. I like concerts at the AC casinos, where I can buy tix directly through them.

I feel sorry for AirBNB owners, because it's not their fault and they don't get the fees, and in fact there are many consumer travel websites advising people to ask Air BNB owners to waive the fees. But that isn't fair.
Just to clear this up .

Airbnb owners don't have to charge a cleaning fee. They can roll it into the price of the room if they want.

No matter where you stay, you are paying for cleaning. But with Airbnb, it's separated out in many cases. This is supposed to make it easier for tax purposes. It's not unlike going to a hotel and getting an extra $50 a night hospitality tax before you check out.

Airbnb also has a pledge to pay cleaning crews a living wage. You might see a high cost because cleaning services are expensive in a lot of areas.

We split the cleaning fee with the nightly fee so that it stays low and guests don't feel upset by "hidden" fees. But to be honest it's very prominently displayed on our listing. Likewise we charge extra for guests over a certain number in a few of our properties (cost per person per day) because it will take our cleaning crew more time to change beds maintain the space. So even though the fees are low guests are still paying for this service.

It's just like "free" shipping. It's not truly free. It's rolled into the price of your items. But for whatever reason some people feel taken advantage of if the cost is accounted for separately.

At any rate, no one has tipped our cleaners. One crew we hired quit because they do the same work for a local hotel and people tip there. Not saying that they SHOULD get a tip just interesting how people perceive this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM
 
4,797 posts, read 3,196,015 times
Reputation: 7257
Tipping should be outlawed. It's scam that usually just hurts the workers. Pay people what they are worth, and charge prices that need to be charged to pay people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM
 
20,296 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Reputation: 38102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My experience with hairdressers is that if they are part of a salon where the salon gets a cut of the $$, I tip.


But if it is their own private practice (like they are doing your hair @ their house or something), they pocket ALL the $$, and therefore I do not tip.
In those cases however they are not pocketing all of the money. In those cases they are renting the space and the chair from the salon owner and they have to pay her for using it. They actually make out better giving a percentage of each client service to the owner, because when they rent the chair instead they owe the same amount each day whether they had enough clients to make that amount or not.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-14-2019 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 03:39 PM
 
20,296 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Reputation: 38102
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Just to clear this up .

Airbnb owners don't have to charge a cleaning fee. They can roll it into the price of the room if they want.

No matter where you stay, you are paying for cleaning. But with Airbnb, it's separated out in many cases. This is supposed to make it easier for tax purposes. It's not unlike going to a hotel and getting an extra $50 a night hospitality tax before you check out.

Airbnb also has a pledge to pay cleaning crews a living wage. You might see a high cost because cleaning services are expensive in a lot of areas.

We split the cleaning fee with the nightly fee so that it stays low and guests don't feel upset by "hidden" fees. But to be honest it's very prominently displayed on our listing. Likewise we charge extra for guests over a certain number in a few of our properties (cost per person per day) because it will take our cleaning crew more time to change beds maintain the space. So even though the fees are low guests are still paying for this service.

It's just like "free" shipping. It's not truly free. It's rolled into the price of your items. But for whatever reason some people feel taken advantage of if the cost is accounted for separately.

At any rate, no one has tipped our cleaners. One crew we hired quit because they do the same work for a local hotel and people tip there. Not saying that they SHOULD get a tip just interesting how people perceive this service.
The cleaning fee is only one of them. This Air BNB in Boston goes from $209 a night to $343 a night with fees. That’s ridiculous and very much like Ticketmaster, it’s a rip off with made up fees such as “service fee”. Again it might as well be called the “Because we can and you can’t do a thing about it” fee. The fees are close to 70% of the nightly room price. I think $60 is nuts to clean up after one person for one night, too.. No thanks, we booked Holiday Inn.

$209 x 1 night $209
Cleaning fee$60
Service fee$35
Occupancy taxes and fees $39
Total $343

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-14-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM
 
20,296 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Reputation: 38102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The worst are now the one's where where an ipad/tablet is involved.

I went to a bakery and got a muffin. They literally grabbed it from the glass case and put it in a box and handed it to me. I swiped my car and they flung around the iPad screen to me where it said HOW MUCH DO YOU WISH TO TIP. And the choices were something like:

30% - My experience was awesome!
25% - My experience was great!
20% - My experience was good.
15% - My experience was average.
Other

I had to pick other and type in 0%. Guess where I won't be going again?
You’re never going back because the software program they purchased includes a tipping option??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 05:37 PM
 
20,296 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Reputation: 38102
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Just to clear this up .

Airbnb owners don't have to charge a cleaning fee. They can roll it into the price of the room if they want.

No matter where you stay, you are paying for cleaning. But with Airbnb, it's separated out in many cases. This is supposed to make it easier for tax purposes. It's not unlike going to a hotel and getting an extra $50 a night hospitality tax before you check out.

Airbnb also has a pledge to pay cleaning crews a living wage. You might see a high cost because cleaning services are expensive in a lot of areas.

We split the cleaning fee with the nightly fee so that it stays low and guests don't feel upset by "hidden" fees. But to be honest it's very prominently displayed on our listing. Likewise we charge extra for guests over a certain number in a few of our properties (cost per person per day) because it will take our cleaning crew more time to change beds maintain the space. So even though the fees are low guests are still paying for this service.

It's just like "free" shipping. It's not truly free. It's rolled into the price of your items. But for whatever reason some people feel taken advantage of if the cost is accounted for separately.

At any rate, no one has tipped our cleaners. One crew we hired quit because they do the same work for a local hotel and people tip there. Not saying that they SHOULD get a tip just interesting how people perceive this service.
I was recently in a group Home Away rental with my fiancé and his buddies and their wives. The owners had an envelope for tipping the cleaning crew and also mentioned it in the binder of house info. I was the only one who thought we should leave a tip. I think some were mad because they felt the kitchen floor was dirty when we got there (I think it is just how tile is, it gets dirty fast) and IMO they did a lot of cleaning they didn’t need to do, and to them that justified not leaving a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 05:45 PM
 
62 posts, read 12,883 times
Reputation: 317
I tip wait-staff, usually very generously. I tip food-delivery staff generally at the same percentage as I do wait-staff in a restaurant. I toss the change in the tip jar at the coffee shop. I always tip the housekeepers at hotels, leaving a tip daily because different housekeepers work on different days. If I use the services of a bellhop or a concierge at a hotel, I tip. If I take a taxi, I tip the driver (I do not patronize Uber or Lyft). When I used to have someone cut my hair, I'd tip the stylist.

Part of the reason I tip is that I spent years when I was younger working in several of those jobs, and I have a very personal understanding of what that life is like. Low pay, crappy hours, nonexistent benefits, and you put up with it because it's the only gig available and you have to pay the rent somehow - that is a horrendous life. We rely on people to do those jobs, and as I see it, the least I can do is give them a token expression of my appreciation for their efforts.

Yes, the employers "should" pay them a living wage - but you know, if they did that, the price of whatever good or service is provided would go up by at least as much as the amount I give as a tip. I can't change the stingy employers, but I can make it clear to the person doing the hard work that I appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 PM
 
4,797 posts, read 3,196,015 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by r03ix9A View Post
I tip wait-staff, usually very generously. I tip food-delivery staff generally at the same percentage as I do wait-staff in a restaurant. I toss the change in the tip jar at the coffee shop. I always tip the housekeepers at hotels, leaving a tip daily because different housekeepers work on different days. If I use the services of a bellhop or a concierge at a hotel, I tip. If I take a taxi, I tip the driver (I do not patronize Uber or Lyft). When I used to have someone cut my hair, I'd tip the stylist.

Part of the reason I tip is that I spent years when I was younger working in several of those jobs, and I have a very personal understanding of what that life is like. Low pay, crappy hours, nonexistent benefits, and you put up with it because it's the only gig available and you have to pay the rent somehow - that is a horrendous life. We rely on people to do those jobs, and as I see it, the least I can do is give them a token expression of my appreciation for their efforts.

Yes, the employers "should" pay them a living wage - but you know, if they did that, the price of whatever good or service is provided would go up by at least as much as the amount I give as a tip. I can't change the stingy employers, but I can make it clear to the person doing the hard work that I appreciate them.
I worked for tips in high school and college so I generally feel the same way. I moved to CA 12 years ago and only recently found out that wait staff in CA have to be paid minimum wage which is $9/hr. Now min wage isn't great especially with cost of living here but there are thousands of people that work min wage here at jobs that don't get tips so now I have the moral dilemma of why do I need to keep tipping 15-20% to people making $9/hr. Where I grew up, wait staff made like $2/hr and relied on tips. What is the difference in tipping waiters and tipping people that work at Walmart for min wage who might be working harder?

In other countries people are just paid properly for the job they do. Our system is stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top