U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article about Uber drivers complaining that people don't tip. I recall at one time Uber didn't allow tips but they do now. In fact I was once told by a driver that he wouldn't take tips. But now it's expected.

Waitresses, bartenders and hotel maids traditionally get tips. But that was always because their "salary" wasn't even minimum wage in the case of the service industry, and with a maid it was more of a thanks for cleaning up my mess. But now with Airbnb (we have a few) no one leaves tips for our cleaning crew. I'm wondering if this is going to be like Uber...we don't expect it now but maybe in a few years I will read an article about how no one tips our cleaners.

What about baristas? Do you tip at Starbucks? Or at any fast food counters where there happens to be a jar?

Who gets a tip and who doesn't? What is your tipping policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
I tip everyone who serves me. Starbucks doesn't have a tip line on the credit card receipt but they usually have a jar. If I'm paying cash, I tip. I tip the hotel maid $1/night, would do the same for Air BnB.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 PM

9,257 posts, read 9,213,955 times
I never, ever tip at counters. I think tips are for extended service, not just someone handing you something after 60 seconds of work. It wouldn't even cross my mind to tip for Airbnb.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:12 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,561,536 times
I tip when somebody has given me a pleasant experience and there is a tip jar. Sometimes, I have tipped people who work at offices by sending them a card with a personalized note and a gift card. I have encountered way too many unhappy employees and now I want to recognize those who make a choice to be happy, focused, and helpful.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:46 AM

99 posts, read 28,312 times
It's expected in the Massage industry...at least at the massage chains and spas. The pay is ridiculous and you, the client are expected to tip...I hate it and refuse to work at these places anymore. Individual self employed massage therapists don't expect tips (I know I don't') simply b/c we get the entire cost of the massage. We can decide where the money gets split up (business expense, personal expense etc).

Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,385,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I was just reading an article about Uber drivers complaining that people don't tip. I recall at one time Uber didn't allow tips but they do now. In fact I was once told by a driver that he wouldn't take tips. But now it's expected.

Waitresses, bartenders and hotel maids traditionally get tips. But that was always because their "salary" wasn't even minimum wage in the case of the service industry, and with a maid it was more of a thanks for cleaning up my mess. But now with Airbnb (we have a few) no one leaves tips for our cleaning crew. I'm wondering if this is going to be like Uber...we don't expect it now but maybe in a few years I will read an article about how no one tips our cleaners.

What about baristas? Do you tip at Starbucks? Or at any fast food counters where there happens to be a jar?

The list on both sides is long so I won't bore people with it.

I do tip Uber and Lyft drivers. I prefer using Lyft and I often receive "deals". The last time I traveled, I received 50% off rides so most of the fares were less than $10. So yeah, I tipped when it was a $3-5 fare and I mostly tipped 100% on those fares.

Because I'm usually charged a cleaning fee for AirBnbs, I don't tip the cleaners. I also typically don't tip hotel maids because I don't require daily service. When staying in a hotel for a week, I usually only need clean towels every couple of days which I will get from the front desk. When staying in a hotel or AirBnb, I pick up after myself, wipe down sinks, etc. just like I do when I'm home.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:27 AM

794 posts, read 333,726 times
I don't mind tipping waitstaff - I'll do 15-30%, depending on their service and 10% at a buffet.

I'll tip my hair stylist, tattoo artist, or delivery people another $10-40, depending on what they're doing. One time, the slings of the delivery guys came undone while carrying an enormous, adjustable king up our narrow stairs, to a short-ceiling 2nd floor, around an immediate, sharp corner. The seams on their sling just gave out and I heard them swearing, way off in the bowels of our house, how those slings are so expensive. I'd tipped them each $20. But, I sew very well and have a killer machine. While they set up everything, I put their sling back together and sewed the gnarliest, most-amazingly reinforced seam the world has ever seen, lined with a length of canvas tape I'd spiral-scrapped from an old military sack. They were SO happy and said the slings were FAR better quality than they'd bought them, at the start. After they left, I saw they'd all left their tips on the entry table. They weren't kidding, must be, that those slings were expensive.

I'll put $5-10 out for hotel cleaners at the end of my stay, SO LONG AS they didn't clean my room while I was there. I don't like people coming in while I stay, request no service, and put the Do Not Disturb sign on the knob every day. When they come in anyway, I don't tip at all. My room is left looking exactly perfect at the end of my stay, always, but with the linens stripped off the bed and towels in the middle (so it can be picked up like a bundle), the bedspread folded down over itself on the foot of the bed, and all garbage bagged and ready to be removed. Disregarding the request to not clean and the Do Not Disturb sign? Nothing in the US and maybe a coin worth $1 or $2 on the desk if elsewhere.

Other than that, I don't ask for help because I don't need it or want it. I don't want anyone to take my bags, show me around, or clean up after me. I'll all but bring the dishes to the kitchen at restaurants, because it's something I do by habit at home and then, they can flip that table quickly. I'll throw spare change in a tip jar at the counter but never tip electronically for counter service when it's offered electronically at those boutique-y places where everything is overpriced in the first place. If I'm paying $14 for half a sandwich and a cup of coffee and have waited 10 minutes while two airheads have been checking their phones and spilling things, I don't see how that warrants a tip. If we're at a diner though, and some efficient waitress is there, forcing a smile onto her face for tips and notices things (top offs, more napkins, etc.) but doesn't fakely gush at us and ask us 57 times how our eggs and hashbrowns are, she'll get a great tip. If it comes to $27, for example, we'll just leave $40. If someone is nasty though, I'll calculate 10-15%, pre-tax, down to the damn penny. And do it with a card, so s/he'll be taxed on it too.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:03 AM

13,752 posts, read 12,709,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

I tip waiters/bartenders, food delivery drivers, my hairdresser, Lyft drivers...that might be it. I don't put money into tip jars.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:24 AM

14,685 posts, read 8,468,648 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=36200944

There are numerous threads regarding tipping.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 12,177,146 times
I only tip at restaurants because it's the social norm. The fact that owners won't pay them a fair wage is on them. They are taking advantage of both the patrons and their waiters. Could you imagine if every small business in America didn't have to pay their employees a full wage because "their profit margins are low"? Why do restaurants get a pass? Why does a large deli pay their workers a full wage?

I tip anyone who goes ABOVE AND BEYOND their job description, such as the furniture delivery guy who brings it all the way in and puts it in the exact spot I want and removes the wrapping with it. As everyone knows, tipping is out of hand these days. It's about rewarding the worker, so they feel rewarded, so we feel like we've said "well done my dude - I appreciate you". Not the feeling of "there, I tipped you, now don't give me dirty look." So completely bass-ackwards.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-03-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or