U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM

86 posts, read 33,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think you have achieved insight. Yes. Get out of the house. Is there a hands on volunteer job you could do? Having a place to go, and a job to do for a discrete length of time gives your time some structure and stability. You like being able to help people. You might be able to do this in real life.

Keep us posted about what you decide to do. Good luck!
Thanks! I want to look and see if any art galleries that I can volunteer at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 12:19 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
I wish there was no consequences for doing this. People will start accusing you of becoming inactive and if they feel you are inactive higher ups will start giving out "talks". If I take only a hand full of reports during the month then that will start becoming a problem. It is not an addiction, I am already considered much less active then the other admins.

I would like to replace this hobby with something similar but not demanding so much tine.

Bingo.

Many places to volunteer where your time can greatly improve your community
and keep your family happy.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:24 PM

5,530 posts, read 5,897,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What kind of game is this? Sport or online?

Sounds like you have an addiction to this hobby if you can't be bothered to respond to your family when you are doing it....
Huh?! Where did you get this idea?? So he’s supposed to drop everything the second anyone interrupts and just go help them instead? What world are you living in? I don’t care if I’m just messing around in a video game and doing nothing important at all, if my fiancé interrupted me and expected immediate help I’d laugh at her unless she’s bleeding. It’s called personal boundaries. People are entitled to their own time and when they’re doing something important to them, you respect that and leave them alone.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:51 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Huh?! Where did you get this idea?? So he’s supposed to drop everything the second anyone interrupts and just go help them instead? What world are you living in?

I'm guessing she lives in the world where family is important.

Quote:
I don’t care if I’m just messing around in a video game and doing nothing important at all, if my fiancé interrupted me and expected immediate help I’d laugh at her unless she’s bleeding. It’s called personal boundaries. People are entitled to their own time and when they’re doing something important to them, you respect that and leave them alone.
So you never do anything you don't feel like doing. Got it.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 05-05-2019 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Deleted due to rudeness.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 PM

1,951 posts, read 954,857 times
Quote:
I wish there was no consequences for doing this. People will start accusing you of becoming inactive and if they feel you are inactive higher ups will start giving out "talks". If I take only a hand full of reports during the month then that will start becoming a problem. It is not an addiction, I am already considered much less active then the other admins.

I would like to replace this hobby with something similar but not demanding so much tine.
Wow, lot of stress for something one volunteers to do and doesn't get paid for, eh?

Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,265,613 times
A friend of mine is on the other side of the fence of this with her husband. Once he gets off work, he starts gaming online, and pretty much continues to do so until the wee hours. If interrupted for *any* reason, he gets mad. And it's important to note they have a young child together (less than double-digits in age). There are times she needs to leave the house and can't take the kid with her, but if the kid interrupts his dad gaming for anything, dad gets pissed off.

Needless to say.....it's a *huge* bone of contention with them.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:43 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,142,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I bet your family members wish you would say this about them instead of about total strangers.
I agree & frankly, I'm so glad you're not my spouse, parent, etc. or anyone I have to depend on for companionship, love, support, etc. It's obvious who you put as the priority & it should be FAMILY...ALWAYS. No hobby, activity, etc. should take precedence over other human being loved ones.

Online strangers don't love you back like flesh & blood family members. You really should seriously think about your priorities.

If your family members neglect you the way you seem to be neglecting them, there would be no family unit or family harmony. You all might as well be roomates who you don't know well living in the same house. Do you want to loved ones to grow to resent you soon? I'd hope not.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

8,897 posts, read 13,645,023 times
Quote:

Then do it. You're not getting paid, and no one's life depends on you. If it's become too demanding, you can just quit. It's that easy. This isn't some vitally important major responsibility. It's sounds like your perspective on this is a little skewed and/or you don't actually want to quit. Either way, you're taking this way more seriously than it is.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM

192 posts, read 56,361 times
Quote:
I guess I am afraid of losing my social circle more then anything.
Even your family? Okay then.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,073,565 times
What exactly does your family want from you? You are an adult living with adults, so I guess I am confused as to what is so urgent they get upset. If you do not work this is almost like if you had to leave to go to a job. Does your family want you to sit around and stare at them?

I guess it depends on how much time this is truly taking. If it's taking so much time you aren't pulling your weight around the home, missing family Holidays, dinners, etc I get that. Maybe set hours like a job would. You can do this from X'oclock to X'oclock. At that time you finish what you have and take no more requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or