U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:37 AM

86 posts, read 32,173 times

Advertisements

So, I have this hobby where I am an admin on a game. Let explain what I basically do:

1. Go on the game

2. Take reports and talk to players in a special room. (This can last anywhere from 1 minute to over 20 minutes)

3. Help less experienced staff members (sometimes train new ones)

Here is the problem, I have been doing this for over half a year and the problems between me and my family seem to be getting worse. Since there are a lot of players, there is always requests for a staff member and we have to take them no matter what. They require my full attention and I cannot continue other things until it is done.

When I am in the middle of trying to finish a report, I am always needed by my family in some way. I tried to explain to them many times what I do and that I simply just cannot drop what I am doing and walk away. I thought this would get better over time but this seems to be getting worse. I love this hobby but at the same time I don't want it to cause further issues between me and my family.

I like this hobby where I help other people and I would hate to just stop doing it since I worked so hard to get up the ranks. I don't know what to do.

Any advice or suggestions would be really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,176,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
So, I have this hobby where I am an admin on a game. Let explain what I basically do:

1. Go on the game

2. Take reports and talk to players in a special room. (This can last anywhere from 1 minute to over 20 minutes)

3. Help less experienced staff members (sometimes train new ones)

Here is the problem, I have been doing this for over half a year and the problems between me and my family seem to be getting worse. Since there are a lot of players, there is always requests for a staff member and we have to take them no matter what. They require my full attention and I cannot continue other things until it is done.

When I am in the middle of trying to finish a report, I am always needed by my family in some way. I tried to explain to them many times what I do and that I simply just cannot drop what I am doing and walk away. I thought this would get better over time but this seems to be getting worse. I love this hobby but at the same time I don't want it to cause further issues between me and my family.

I like this hobby where I help other people and I would hate to just stop doing it since I worked so hard to get up the ranks. I don't know what to do.

Any advice or suggestions would be really helpful.
What kind of game is this? Sport or online?

Sounds like you have an addiction to this hobby if you can't be bothered to respond to your family when you are doing it....

Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What kind of game is this? Sport or online?

Sounds like you have an addiction to this hobby if you can't be bothered to respond to your family when you are doing it....
Online, I can take as I long as I need in between reports but as soon as I accept a report I need to finish it or risk getting staff suspended.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 AM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times
There are OTHER staff members to help. You......volunteer your time so there's no consequence for helping less time on the game.

And must draw the line so you don't lose your REAL life!!!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,176,014 times
Quote:
Online, I can take as I long as I need in between reports but as soon as I accept a report I need to finish it or risk getting staff suspended.
Again you have an addiction problem if you are spending so much time in an online game that you are not available to members of your family. You don't have to physically go anywhere to participate in this hobby. I would set limits on the time you spend doing this or take a break for a few weeks. Sounds like it's not an entirely healthy level of involvement.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 AM

42,646 posts, read 41,381,512 times
You are 29 on SSDI because of a developmental disability and live in your parents' home with siblings and their families, correct? Posters need to know this before they reply.

You will have to get your own place for complete autonomy. But until then, the randomness of this online hobby that you aren't getting paid to do is going to frustrate your family members, since you don't have defined times when you are called on to admin.

Your family is just gonna think you're running off to get on the computer as an excuse.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM

3,737 posts, read 9,570,840 times
I would like your family to post what is their perception of your time spent on your hobby. How much time do you spend daily on the "hobby"? How much time do you devote to family activities and household requirements?

Lack of information in this thread.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:50 AM

1,160 posts, read 779,920 times
Honestly my opinion is at this time of your life when you have a young family their needs should be your top priority and maybe this isn't the right time for a time consuming hobby such as yours.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
There are OTHER staff members to help. You......volunteer your time so there's no consequence for helping less time on the game.

And must draw the line so you don't lose your REAL life!!!
I wish there was no consequences for doing this. People will start accusing you of becoming inactive and if they feel you are inactive higher ups will start giving out "talks". If I take only a hand full of reports during the month then that will start becoming a problem. It is not an addiction, I am already considered much less active then the other admins.

I would like to replace this hobby with something similar but not demanding so much tine.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:53 AM

2,725 posts, read 1,681,145 times
Quote:
They require my full attention and I cannot continue other things until it is done.
I bet your family members wish you would say this about them instead of about total strangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or