U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 AM

791 posts, read 324,800 times

Advertisements

She simply doesn't want to be friends. You don't have to know why. Maybe she doesn't even DISlike you... she simply doesn't actively like you.

It's no trouble at all to block someone; in fact, it's the most efficient, drama-free way to avoid someone. I block people with some regularity. If I always butt heads with another person (not disagree - because I love to debate issues - but someone who always reads the wrong tone), want to keep a door shut on some aspect of my past (exes and their significant others), co-workers I dislike or who I don't want to know better, or start a new job (bosses, people who seem sketchy, etc.), I block them. And, because I have experience in this, I roam around a bit first, so I know who their significant other is and definitely their best friends, to block them too.

My sister's long-term boyfriend is a great guy. His family is... trashy. They live in a shady part of town, have poor judgement, date ex-cons, are constantly cycling through unstable, low-paid employment, and always have some drama going on. Every member of his family except for his sister, who lives across the country with her husband and children and is "normal", is blocked. I've met them all before and they're polite but I don't want to know them any better and I don't want them to know me any better. Slippery slopes and all that. I want blinders. Blocking someone provides solid, easy blinders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Is it even possible to block a single person from finding you on Facebook? Is it possible to block people from finding you at all? It can certainly be made less likely by not posting things like phone numbers by which people can search for you, but can you be completely un-find-able? (I can't remember, can you keep yourself from showing up in Facebook's directory at all, even if someone directly types in your name?)

I thought a block just kept a person from contacting you, not from completely knowing that you exist on a platform.

Plenty of people are choosy who they friend on Facebook. I don't accept every friend request that comes my way. The people I feel the need to be "friends" with from as long ago as high school are few and far between (and we have been in some contact pretty constantly since then; someone who suddenly contacted me now after hearing nothing for years, I probably wouldn't feel a pressing need to reconnect with). It's not even that they've done anything to offend me; there are plenty of people I think of fondly and might enjoy a short chat with but don't need to keep close anymore. I have simply moved on with my life.
There are a number of ways to be less find-able on Facebook. You can have it so that your name (or phone number or email) isn't searchable... it will not come up in search results.

You can have a false name or use just your first and middle names.

You can hide your Friends section, so that people can't see who you know unless you have a public post and they'll only be able to see those who reacted to or commented on it.

You can either disable tagging or request that tagged posts and pictures require your approval, so they won't
appear in other people's posts that include you.

And, of course, you can just block someone... and take it a step further by also blocking those people they're close to. It's best to do that, imo, so it's near impossible for them to even see that they're blocked. Blocking someone is a double-blind... they can't see you (even if you're both posting comments on the post of a mutual friend) and you can't see them. If you want to see them (assuming they haven't blocked you back), you have to go into your settings and unblock them. If you want to re-block, you have to wait 48 hours.

But with blocking, none of them have any way to see that perhaps, you just deactivated your account, and also have no way to message you. It cuts the drama out before it can even start.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:26 AM

1,857 posts, read 531,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
She also is completely fake now. Fake nose, fake teeth, boob job, used to have a healthy figure now looks too skinny. My friend ran into her and said she seemed like a Stepford Wife.
You come off as a horrible person - judgemental, gossiping and clingy stalker. And you wonder why you got blocked.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 AM

9,122 posts, read 3,534,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
It's no trouble at all to block someone; in fact, it's the most efficient, drama-free way to avoid someone. I block people with some regularity. If I always butt heads with another person (not disagree - because I love to debate issues - but someone who always reads the wrong tone), want to keep a door shut on some aspect of my past (exes and their significant others), co-workers I dislike or who I don't want to know better, or start a new job (bosses, people who seem sketchy, etc.), I block them. And, because I have experience in this, I roam around a bit first, so I know .
same here.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:27 AM

298 posts, read 67,289 times
Quote:
But to block me? That means she had to look me up and block my name. It seems extreme.
I dunno. You seem quite unstable. Maybe you should get some help/counselling for this.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:36 PM

3,882 posts, read 3,555,989 times
Quote:
Creep her out because I asked once about her to a mutual friend and friended her sister and asked for and email address that she gave me? That is 2 instances. She was a good friend and I knew her sister as well. If 2 times is creepy than I guess we should never contact good friends from our past?
Sherry had a lesbian crush on you in high school, but she was too embarrassed to tell you. Her parents found out and sent her away for conversion therapy. After many months of agony, fights, and nearly being committed to an asylum it worked, sort of. And now, after she's happily married with a great husband and beautiful kids, the perfect life -- here you come out of her past, unlocking all those dark and tormented memories. And you wonder why she blocked you on FB? Leave the poor thing alone to pick up the pieces and get back to her so-called perfect life.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 PM

794 posts, read 217,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
There are a number of ways to be less find-able on Facebook. You can have it so that your name (or phone number or email) isn't searchable... it will not come up in search results.

You can have a false name or use just your first and middle names.

You can hide your Friends section, so that people can't see who you know unless you have a public post and they'll only be able to see those who reacted to or commented on it.

You can either disable tagging or request that tagged posts and pictures require your approval, so they won't
appear in other people's posts that include you.

And, of course, you can just block someone... and take it a step further by also blocking those people they're close to. It's best to do that, imo, so it's near impossible for them to even see that they're blocked. Blocking someone is a double-blind... they can't see you (even if you're both posting comments on the post of a mutual friend) and you can't see them. If you want to see them (assuming they haven't blocked you back), you have to go into your settings and unblock them. If you want to re-block, you have to wait 48 hours.

But with blocking, none of them have any way to see that perhaps, you just deactivated your account, and also have no way to message you. It cuts the drama out before it can even start.
Yes, I know all this. I just didn't know it was possible to type a specific person's name in so that only they can't find you. Like I said, on most sites where you can block people, they still know you're there and possibly even what you're doing, they just can't contact you or see anything you've marked as private (if the site works that way), and if you can make yourself unsearchable, it's usually to everyone, not only one specific user.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yes, I know all this. I just didn't know it was possible to type a specific person's name in so that only they can't find you. Like I said, on most sites where you can block people, they still know you're there and possibly even what you're doing, they just can't contact you or see anything you've marked as private (if the site works that way), and if you can make yourself unsearchable, it's usually to everyone, not only one specific user.
What you describe are the settings for Public. The default.

Blocking someone is as easy as going to their page and clicking "Block" from the drop down. It is an almost-instant double blind. It is the very easiest way to pretend that you and that person don't exist to each other. You will not see each other in search results. You will not see them on a mutual friend's Friends section. If they've even liked something and you see 4 likes, click on it, and see only 3 names... it's because they've blocked you. They are the 4th, phantom "Like."

Blocking is extremely easy and efficient and requires only that someone click "Block." That has always been the setup on Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or