Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 01:24 PM

8,105 posts, read 8,289,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Absolutely. That right there. That one additional detail alone is enough.

OP, this would be disgraceful of you. What possible good can come of this that would justify exposing your father to the world and to everyone in his field as a liar and a fraud? What possible greater good would be served? What are you thinking?

History is not suffering from any shortage of holocaust stories. You're not exposing the JFK conspiracy here. Please explain what you think is so important about this that you would even consider disgracing your father's memory over this?
Of course my thinking was to remove identifying info to maintain his anonymity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 PM

23,839 posts, read 33,417,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I am not certain of all the reasons Dad did not want his memoir shared. One reason I believe is his professional success (he developed several patents in his industry and also wrote some technical books) “public biography” claimed advanced education that, once reading his story, could not have been achieved. So, his resume was quite obviously puffed up and far as his formal education. But anyone who reads the story would understand. And if, as suggested, I removed identity info, that might be the best way to go. Its a very important story on so many levels. He was only 15 years old when his story begins.

Thanks for the suggestions that I can possibly preserve his anonymity. I will talk to a rabbi. That is a great idea.
I think that as long as you can do it with him being anonymous that his story should be told so that it's not lost at a later time. If they do publish it online, you can let close family know it's his story. I'm sure everyone is proud of your dad for what he was able to accomplish after the cards he was dealt. It was much easier for people born back then to advance. My dad came to the US from Hungary in the late 50's with $25 and was one of the first to be a certified mechanic in NJ. He also held a lot of ranks with a local rescue squad. I'm proud of my dad like I'm sure you're proud of your dad. I wish mine would have left his story written down because he refused to talk about leaving Hungary during the revolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Absolutely. That right there. That one additional detail alone is enough.

OP, this would be disgraceful of you. What possible good can come of this that would justify exposing your father to the world and to everyone in his field as a liar and a fraud? What possible greater good would be served? What are you thinking?

History is not suffering from any shortage of holocaust stories. You're not exposing the JFK conspiracy here. Please explain what you think is so important about this that you would even consider disgracing your father's memory over this?
I think it's important for everyone to have a voice that went thru that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Perhaps they would understand, but they'd also recognize that his life was pretty much a lie...and view him as a fraud.

You're going to tarnish his legacy.

Let the poor guy keep his dignity, and let him rest in peace.
If his family can do it anonymously it's a non issue

Quote:
Of course my thinking was to remove identifying info to maintain his anonymity
If it was me that left something like that, I would be ok with it being shared anonymously after my death. Heck, I'd share it while alive if I can be anonymous.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-16-2019 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,582,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No, promises don't expire upon death. I think they become even more important. I would honor his request and not share it outside of the family.
Agree, but it is too late for that.

The OP already has not honored the request by showing it to her friend.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,582,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There were so many terrible stories arsing out of the Holocaust that people were afraid, or still recovering, and wanted private.

Fast forward 75+ years and these stories must be shared. We just visited the newly renovated Cincinnati Center for Holocaust and Humanity and learned the stories of people I've known for almost 70 years. Some I knew were survivors, some I didn't. All wanted their stories told and memorabilia (if you can call the torn striped uniforms and yellow Jude stars memorabilia) made available for all to see.

Share what you have so that everyone knows what did happen years ago. Donate it to Yad Yashem, or the Holocaust Museum in your father's

I'm sure that you father would be happy with your decision

NEVER FORGET!
I agree never forget, but the people you mentioned wanted their stories shared.

The OP's father did not.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 PM

17,408 posts, read 8,988,991 times
Quote:
He passed away almost 20 years ago.
This seems to be a detail that people have overlooked.

So, why now?

Old 05-16-2019, 08:38 PM

8,105 posts, read 8,289,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This seems to be a detail that people have overlooked.

So, why now?
I am not religious and I don’t know a religious leader to discuss this with.

I am now 70 years old and last year toured the death camps in Poland and also the synagogue in Budapest where Jews lost their lives in the courtyard. I realized how profoundly my life was impacted by the Holocaust. I mean I’ve always known, but as I am older I feel I should make a decision about the memoir. I shared it with a very close friend who I knew would honor the promise. I have very good reasons for sharing it with her and I know my Dad would have be fine due to the reasons. She was so shocked and moved, it made me think her reaction to his story might have that kind of impact on others. And I also carry the feeling “Never Forget.”

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM

17,408 posts, read 8,988,991 times
Quote:

I am now 70 years old and last year toured the death camps in Poland and also the synagogue in Budapest where Jews lost their lives in the courtyard. I realized how profoundly my life was impacted by the Holocaust. I mean I’ve always known, but as I am older I feel I should make a decision about the memoir. I shared it with a very close friend who I knew would honor the promise. I have very good reasons for sharing it with her and I know my Dad would have be fine due to the reasons. She was so shocked and moved, it made me think her reaction to his story might have that kind of impact on others. And I also carry the feeling “Never Forget.”
After hearing this explanation, I'm changing my stance. I think you should do whatever feels right to you.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 PM

15,445 posts, read 21,298,768 times
OP. I say honor your dad's wishes. You may not ever understand why he asked this of you but I'm sure there was a reason.

I once made a promise to a loved one to keep an antique item in our family that is large and requires a significant storage space to keep. I now realize I may not always have the ability to have that extra space so I've thought about giving the thing to a museum in that late family member's name. However, knowing that museums operate like a business, I've decided that would almost be the same as selling the item. For now I'll just keep the thing and try to pass it on to my daughter or my grandchildren without any commitments. They can do with the item as they see fit or necessary.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,450,056 times
There is a reason he didn’t want the story told to strangers. Maybe some of his recollections were not absolutely accurate and he didn’t want anyone disputing his stated facts. Maybe his education wasn’t the only thing he “fudged” on. It’s best to not share even if anonymous.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:01 AM

23,839 posts, read 33,417,425 times
Quote:

Would be nice if someone could translate it to German to put a copy in a museum or place of remembrance near where his story originated.

You should try to make a decision soon since you're not that young any more. Today would be a good day to start editing your dads identifying info from it. Have you spoken to your brother or kids about sharing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships