U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:14 PM

14,558 posts, read 10,699,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why do people live in a city if they hate other people. In our area most garages are open during the summer and we all talk to each other. We have block parties where everyone's garage is open and part of the fun.
In my mom's condo complex, many do the same. At one of the units, they set up their chairs just outside of the garage. They're older and I'm assuming they're just enjoying being outside. It just looks fun to me.

A man in another unit is often out in his garage. He also has an old, big dog that he picks up and sets in the back of his truck and the dog just relaxes out there all day. Sometimes the guy sits on the tailgate next to him and drinks beer.

When I'm driving through the complex, people I don't even know smile and wave to me. It's a really nice community.

EDIT: Oh, I should add that it's a really nice-looking complex. They keep it up really well, and people who see it for the first time always comment about how nice it is. Thought I should throw that in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
We also have the whole FRONT yard. We own that too. LOL

We've been known to hang out in the garage. It's a nice place to be when a storm is rolling in. I like storms.

One of our favorite things to do is to hang out in the garage, on a Friday night, after work, drink a few beers and talk about whatever, and listen to some tunes. My husband and I are both smokers, so that's our favorite place on a Friday night.
And that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 PM

5,410 posts, read 8,107,695 times
In reply to those who mentioned my post(s), that's my point. No problem about liking to be OUTDOORS, but WHY MUST the garage in the front of the house? I'm just curious. You can be outdoors in your backyard too. I know, I know, someone's going to say, "uh because I paid for every square inch of my property & d@mn it, I'm going to use it all."

Everything in moderation as they say, right? Every once in a while like every few weeks, OK, nice. But especially not every other day, not every Friday, or all weekend. I don't see anyone liking that unless their the types of people who'll do it that often themselves.

Obviously, everyone's going to have their opposing opinions. Some will always like it & never stop & others don't like it & wouldn't sit out in their garage in a million yrs & don't want to see someone's mug every darn time they take a glance out of the window nor want to hear talking when they open their own windows for nice ventilation & air circulation.

Some of that's none of our faults. Hey, if only we were rich & had our homes spaced way out far from each other.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:06 PM

35,151 posts, read 10,380,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
The OP didn't say it was, just that one neighbor thought it was trashy.
She also didn't offer that she had a few well-placed words to the neighbor who presumably complained to her about it.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 PM

19,836 posts, read 11,043,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
In reply to those who mentioned my post(s), that's my point. No problem about liking to be OUTDOORS, but WHY MUST the garage in the front of the house? I'm just curious. You can be outdoors in your backyard too. I know, I know, someone's going to say, "uh because I paid for every square inch of my property & d@mn it, I'm going to use it all."

Everything in moderation as they say, right? Every once in a while like every few weeks, OK, nice. But especially not every other day, not every Friday, or all weekend. I don't see anyone liking that unless their the types of people who'll do it that often themselves.

Obviously, everyone's going to have their opposing opinions. Some will always like it & never stop & others don't like it & wouldn't sit out in their garage in a million yrs & don't want to see someone's mug every darn time they take a glance out of the window nor want to hear talking when they open their own windows for nice ventilation & air circulation.

Some of that's none of our faults. Hey, if only we were rich & had our homes spaced way out far from each other.
You have not given reason for having a problem with it.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM

5,410 posts, read 8,107,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You have not given reason for having a problem with it.
I pretty much said my PERSONAL reasons in paragraph 3.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM

5,394 posts, read 3,007,254 times
I can't imagine having an opinion about a guy hanging out in his own garage.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:29 PM

14,652 posts, read 3,887,259 times
Remember that Garages in themselves - for the common people - are a new thing. I despise a lot of house designs these days because you look at the houses and think "Garage". It's as if a house is no longer a home but a place to keep a motor vehicle so you can escape easily without seeing anyone else!

This is new also.

I'd say the really simple answer is that a Garage on the front is like a porch. Many houses don't have the big old porches like they used to have. AND, even if they did, the Garage is usually closer to the sidewalk and street so when friend roll up in their cars they can just get out and say hi.

We keep ours open some of the time...but, I must admit, we never sit out there. I'm a busy bee type so I'd be in the shop or cleaning or messing around, not sitting. I almost never just "sit".

Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM

15,939 posts, read 12,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I can't imagine having an opinion about a guy hanging out in his own garage.
LOL, right??? Funny, what people get worked up about

Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM

3,866 posts, read 2,716,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Remember that Garages in themselves - for the common people - are a new thing.
When you say new, do you mean like in the last 70 years or so?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 PM

6,766 posts, read 3,669,149 times
Fascinating.

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Southerners lounge on the front porch; New Yorkers sit on the stoop, Hawaiians hang loose in the carport.

But in California, where I grew up, the outdoor area is in the backyard. I wouldn't be comfortable sitting out front, all exposed to everybody that walks by. Maybe your neighbor grew up somewhere similar.
Followed a couple of posts later by someone from California:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I personally think it's tacky BECAUSE they have their whole house interior & exterior backyard to do that, but no they've just got to be out front in the garage PLUS yakking on the phone too?! Why be out front & do it for all to see?

It's all about that they have to be seen & in a way, narcissistic & their way of saying, "Everyone better be alright seeing my as@ yakking all day &/or night, they must hear my conversation too, not mind my laughing out loud, & they better like it."

Let's say EVERYONE in the neighborhood did it. What's OK for one should be OK for them all, right? So fine, good. We all have our personal opinions.
Amazing timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or