Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Brooklyn NY people like to be out front, its more to see, more people to talk to, more action, instead of being alone in a back yard.......(how long can you look at a tree?)
Me here in Colorado: Quite a while. One of my pleasures is to lay out on my back deck under the trees, watching the play of wind and sunlight on them. I find it very relaxing.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
I have to admit, this is a question that took me by surprise, because I don't recall seeing this behavior.

I grew up in an area where the houses had front porches that ran the entire width of the front of the house, and were covered. I remember sitting out on the front porch during thunderstorms, watching the rain. This was my favorite thing to do as a child.

However, most of the places I lived in since were either military barracks, or apartments. My first house here was a townhouse--one car garages (if you had one, not all of them did), with one-car driveways. You couldn't park on the street in front of the house due to the setup (you'd be blocking somebody's driveway if you did.) And the 'stoops' were barely wider than the front doors.

My current neighborhood, we have porches, most of them covered, but they're not all quite the same. Some of my neighbors *can* put out a chair or two and sit out front, some can't. I probably could put *a* chair on my front porch, but the only place it could really go would be in a 'recess', where a sort of wall is. Which is perfect for when we have packages delivered, because they can be put in that recess and you can't see them from the street. But likewise, if you were sitting on a chair placed there, *you* couldn't be seen from the street, which would defeat the purpose of sitting out on your front porch, if you're looking to socialize with the neighbors.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Me here in Colorado: Quite a while. One of my pleasures is to lay out on my back deck under the trees, watching the play of wind and sunlight on them. I find it very relaxing.
Sounds very poetic. I prefer this way (above): quiet, peaceful and relaxing. I can read a good book on my deck, in the backyard, and nobody to bother me.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Yes. I like both, enjoying serenity of a nice quiet spot, if possible, and also interacting with others from a porch or spot in front. Depends on the mood.

When I was a kid we had a whole community neighborhood, no fences. So if there was a barbeque anyone could come over. We had special barbeques out front as well for the purpose of inviting anyone who happened by to stop and have a burger and a drink. We met some interesting characters that way, as we lived on a road with lots of pedestrians at the time walking from one town to the next and hitchhiking was a thing. One hippie was walking across the US for Jesus, in a robe. It was fun, no drunks or fights, just people connecting with people and we had a chef in the family who knew how to barbeque to perfection on the charcoal grill, and liked to show off his skills.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Why do people live in a city if they hate other people. In our area most garages are open during the summer and we all talk to each other. We have block parties where everyone's garage is open and part of the fun.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:07 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I personally think it's tacky BECAUSE they have their whole house interior & exterior backyard to do that, but no they've just got to be out front in the garage PLUS yakking on the phone too?! Why be out front & do it for all to see?

It's all about that they have to be seen & in a way, narcissistic & their way of saying, "Everyone better be alright seeing my as@ yakking all day &/or night, they must hear my conversation too, not mind my laughing out loud, & they better like it."

Let's say EVERYONE in the neighborhood did it. What's OK for one should be OK for them all, right? So fine, good. We all have our personal opinions.

We also have the whole FRONT yard. We own that too. LOL

We've been known to hang out in the garage. It's a nice place to be when a storm is rolling in. I like storms.

One of our favorite things to do is to hang out in the garage, on a Friday night, after work, drink a few beers and talk about whatever, and listen to some tunes. My husband and I are both smokers, so that's our favorite place on a Friday night.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:14 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why do people live in a city if they hate other people. In our area most garages are open during the summer and we all talk to each other. We have block parties where everyone's garage is open and part of the fun.
Sounds nice. That way of life is completely dead in many places. People complain about sterile suburbs because no one is outside. Then if you go outside, it's "trashy". I wonder if it is ok to tend your own lawn and garden or if that is trashy because Pablo should be doing it.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
There is a homeowner in my neighborhood who sits in a rocking chair in his garage with the garage door open and either talks on the phone or socializes with neighbors who walk by. I have no problem with it and think it's an ingenious way to transform your garage into a front porch (houses in my neighborhood do not have front porches). No one has complained about it except for one person who thinks that behavior is trashy and low class. Where did this belief come from culturally or historically?
I don't see how it's much different from sitting on the front porch. We used to sit on our front porch swing quite a bit. It was a way to unwind. We stopped because the influx of workmen would stare, so now we are in the back yard. I think your one neighbor needs a hobby.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Several neighbors in our old neighborhood did this quite often. Lacking a front porch, they fitted their garages into cozy screened-in porches for the summer - one couple moved their TV into the garage for the summer. I thought it was kinda cool - good use of space and more practical than building an additional screened-in porch.

If they'd have hidden themselves in the backyard, they wouldn't have been able to interact with neighbors walking by or working/playing in their yards.

Quote:
I personally think it's tacky BECAUSE they have their whole house interior & exterior backyard to do that, but no they've just got to be out front in the garage PLUS yakking on the phone too?! Why be out front & do it for all to see?
If they were seated on a front porch, would that make a difference to you? Is it tacky to sit on the front porch and talk on the phone?

How would someone sitting in their garage affect you in any way?

Quote:
It's all about that they have to be seen & in a way, narcissistic & their way of saying, "Everyone better be alright seeing my as@ yakking all day &/or night, they must hear my conversation too, not mind my laughing out loud, & they better like it."
LMAO, you cannot be serious. I doubt that crosses anyone's mind - except yours. Nor did I read anything in the OP about "all day &/or night". Are you projecting?

Polite people would just mind their own business.

Quote:
I live in a really nice apt complex consisting of about 400 units (which is probably about 10-12 bldgs) & literally no one is outside unless it's for a purpose: Walking to & from their cars, moving in or out).
Sounds boring. Where do you live - on the moon?

Quote:
Fine, all the boisterous, rowdy, partying, smoking, loud-music-playing, classless, yakkity-talking, loud-cackling people should all be sent to stand all around YOUR place, so the rest of us won't have to deal w/ them. It will sound & look like that when it's a lot of people like that doing all the same things.
You do realize there can be a happy medium between your sterile, boring, uptight apartment complex and an all-night party, don't you?

And nowhere did the OP mention that the neighbors were rowdy, boisterous, smoking, playing loud music, or cackling loudly. You sure can read a lot into a simple sentence, can't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Maybe that man wants attention from his neighbours and wants to show off that he has a "busy life" and "friends" or "business associates" to talk to on his cell phone. Some people are like that.

I don't want to say that is trashy, but for sure that's not high-class.
Ugh. Really? You missed the "socializing" part. Is socializing with your neighbors now low-class, too?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:

Let's say EVERYONE in the neighborhood did it. What's OK for one should be OK for them all, right? So fine, good. We all have our personal opinions.
Good grief, we're in an age where people walk around on public streets and in public venues "yakking' on their phones, and you're going to get in a huff about someone doing it in their own driveway?

So what if everyone on the block was in their driveways...there's still not a problem in the world that causes for anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology