U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:29 PM

5,410 posts, read 8,107,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I know most people have pets. That's why I've never really eaten anything people bring that they made at their home. We don't know how clean people are at their homes. (Like when your coworkers bring dishes to work for some work party, for example.)

My SO's father has his dogs lick off his plates at the end of meals & he was such a cheapskate, I'm sure he watered down the dish soap so as to be "frugal", so God knows how clean those dishes were even after he "washed" them. Nasty! My SO would bring his own disposable plates/utensils when he used to go there rarely to eat food he prepared himself OR saw that it was safe to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
...Huh? I either trust that someone has cleaned their dishes or I haven't. Whether or not their dog licks it or they do has nothing to do with it...
That's my point. Then you're too trusting of everyone. Do any of us know how clean anyone is in their homes? Unless we are invisible in the house 24/7, no we don't. Here are the possibilities: Many people have mice, roaches, bedbugs & other pests, nasty mice and rat traps are laid out, pets, fur all over, they let the cats jump on the kitchen counters while they're cooking meals, they let their pets lick off their dishes, etc. As you know, other people are hoarders w/ trash, hair, etc. all over.

Did you carefully read what I said? My fiance' told me because he's seen himself that my dad lets his dogs lick their dishes & that he's a cheapskate, so he doesn't wash things well & w/ the fullest potency of soap. So we positively know. My SO also heard his dad tell a guest once that to save on washing so often that the guest use a towel to try off that the father already used to dry off his body because after all, "his body is clean". This is the nasty mentality of some people. (BTW, my SO cut ties w/ his dad, not from this, but a slew of other things.)

Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 PM

6,859 posts, read 3,806,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's post #67.
Which flies in the face of what she said in post number four.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:37 PM

42,695 posts, read 41,411,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Your points are all very fine and well, except that you and so many other people you quoted seem to have missed the OP's post about the host being too afraid of the dog owners to say anything to them about their dog to ask them to leave the dog at home. It appears that only a couple of people paid attention to that little fact.

Irrelevant.

The hosts are the only ones who have a say in who attends, and it appears they aren't going to say anything. Why they wouldn't say anything doesn't matter. So the point stands ... the OP has to figure out a way to get over it.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,408,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And considering she is the guest of honor... I would think everyone at the party would know her.

What would happen if the OP became sick on the day of the party, or couldn't go for some other reason? Would they just cancel it? That seems unlikely...
I'm sure a lot of us are wondering about this, and are hoping OP will answer.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 PM

935 posts, read 279,903 times
First, dairy products can cause bladder stones in dogs.

The calcium oxalate stones obstruction of the urinary tract so the bladder blows up like a balloon. If it burst, the dog dies.

Whenever you see a dog repeating trying to urinate and nothing comes out, it's serious.

My dog repeated tried to urinate, the vet found stones and had emergency surgery. $3,000 later, I've eliminated all diary products from his diet.

I know people who bring their big dogs everywhere. Not my thing, but since my dog developed diabetes, he needs an insulin injection every twelve hours, I'll ask to bring him anywhere far from my house.

This dog could have issues with being alone.

We feed our dogs/cats from human dishes. If they are washed on the bottom rack of our dishwasher, they get clean. If someone doesn't wash dishes well, its doesn't matter if dog salvia or bloody meat germs are still on the dishes. It is all bad and unhealthy.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
Look, I'm IMMERSED in the dog sports world. Almost all my friends have dogs, and we bring them with us willy nilly to each other's houses. But they know how to behave, even my pack of savages, and the dogs are just a part of the situation. The owners in this case however are douches. But you can't do much about it. Maybe issue a genuine plea to the host? Beyond that, there's nothing for it.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 PM

7,102 posts, read 6,510,376 times
Quote:
I didn't see anywhere where the OP said the host was too afraid. Just that the OP wants the host to say something, but for whatever reason the host isn't interested. Most likely it's because the OP is the only one with a problem.
Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
The dog owner isn't hosting, but a close relative is. The host is afraid to say anything to them.

Guest and I HAVE to be there.

That was post # 67 !!! It SHOULD have been posted right at the very beginning in the original post to avoid a lot of needless confusion. I think the only problem the OP has is that s/he is trying to be mysterious, is reluctant to tell the full story or answer questions. OP is not explicit enough when telling the tale so the tale is full of holes and missing pieces which leaves all the readers asking questions and trying to fit the pieces together to try to understand the full story. The problem that the readers have is that none of us are mind readers.

It's all moot anyways. If the party happens I'm sure everyone will still have a good time (including the dog) in spite of the dog's presence.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 PM

12,405 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Look, I'm IMMERSED in the dog sports world. Almost all my friends have dogs, and we bring them with us willy nilly to each other's houses. But they know how to behave, even my pack of savages, and the dogs are just a part of the situation. The owners in this case however are douches. But you can't do much about it. Maybe issue a genuine plea to the host? Beyond that, there's nothing for it.
So you bring your dog everywhere... But the dog owner in the OP's story is a douche for also bringing their dog places?

Are you and all your friends also douches, or you all get a pass because...dog sports???

Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 PM

5,410 posts, read 8,107,695 times
Re: the post #67 about the host being afriad, any host who's too afraid & weak to lay down the rules to their own guests IN THEIR OWN HOUSE is pitiful! They better put on their big boy or girl panties & tell them how it's going to go!

There's a way to communicate ANYTHING in a firm, yet pleasant way.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
Quote:
So you bring your dog everywhere... But the dog owner in the OP's story is a douche for also bringing their dog places?

Are you and all your friends also douches, or you all get a pass because...dog sports???
Relax a little? You seem a little ... uptight????

It's accepted in our group that we bring our dogs to each others houses - open invitation unless someone specifically asks you not to bring your dogs. With my non-dog friends, I don't assume anything and only ask if I can bring my dog if we're doing an outdoor activity where it's appropriate to bring a dog along (like going on a hike), though one friend who doesn't have a dog specifically asks me to bring her favorite one of my pups with me to gatherings.

But if you just assume your pet is welcome because no one told you not to bring it, yeah you're a douche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or