Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:09 AM

108 posts, read 73,121 times

Advertisements

I will try to be friendly to them and give them an oil painting I made. I think that would be a pretty good gift and I can say hi and try to get to know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:00 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,111,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
I will try to be friendly to them and give them an oil painting I made. I think that would be a pretty good gift and I can say hi and try to get to know them.
No, my mother was a painter. She won awards for her art. She died last year. I've been trying to give away her painting to her family. I never know how people will react. Some wanted her paintings, other said no.

It's so stress never knowing how someone will react. I wonder if her paintings are going to wind up in the garbage.

My Edit: Sometimes it is stupid like a paintings has too much blue, and their interior is purple or yellow or brown, some color that clashes with her painting. Sometimes, it is the wrong style - too traditional for a modern home. Who knows?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
I remember being young and living at home. My parents had 8 kids and one income. Not a lot of cash coming in. When I was a teenager and even older, if I wanted something I had to work for it. I remember kids that would get cars from parents, either as a family car they could use or their own car that mom and dad bought for them. I remember everyone taking vacations and we never seemed to go anywhere. When the county fair came to the area my friends went but we never went. Trips to Disneyland were something that friends did not something that we did.

Something that I had to learn on my own was a lesson taught to me by another friend. He wanted the same things and realized he would need to save up on his own to get those things. The car of the day was a BMW 320I and this friend saved up the money to buy a car coming off a lease. It was 3 years old and he saved up the money to buy that car a couple years out of high school. Yes I was a bit jealous. I was driving around in a 16 year old Oldsmobile and he had a 3 year old BMW.

What happened after was I realized if I want something then I would need to work for it to acquire it. Just about any dream can come true at a later time. What that means is you need to create some dreams, find a way to acquire those dreams, and make it happen. It will take time. It will take work.

Use the jealousy that you have as a motivating factor to realize your future acquisition.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
Quote:
I wouldn't do that. People like to pick out their own art.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
No don't do that. It will look like you're trying too hard and it will be odd coming out of nowhere. I wouldn't try to force yourself or a relationship with them at this point. It seems like they're not interested in pursing a relationship with you or members of your family. Be cordial when you see them, say hi but I wouldn't do anything else unless they initiate it (and I'd be surprised if they did).

You need to work on getting over your jealousy. It sounds like therapy would be good to help you deal with this and some of your other challenges.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 8,564 times
Quote:
They really do seem to have the perfect life. Parents with kids in their early 20s who all have expensive looking cars and they look like they get them detailed every single day. It just feels unreal, my mind is just blown away. I know the grass always seems greener on the other side and for all I know they are all up to their neck in debt but I just don't know.
From the outside, I am sure I look like I have the perfect life. In fact, I just posted Mother's Day pics yesterday with the fam that probably reinforces that facade; perfect hubby, perfect kids, perfect outing with perfect looking food. Truth is, it was a miserable day and I woke up feeling like I want to run the hell away.

Everyone has their challenges, even the ones that look soo perfect from afar.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Quote:
Yes and yes.

I think it is what I really want in my life. I want to work towards that and eventually achieve that. Something just screams out to be that I am really behind and need to pick up the pace. Maybe I can use that as motivation in my own life and eventually gain more positive energy.
So basically it’s you feel bad about your life and want what they have. The worst thing you can do is try to ingratiate yourself, especially to people who are not interested in pursuing a relationship with you.
And no, don’t give away your painting. People generally like to pick out their own art.

You need to work on yourself.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times
Why don't you start with a wave next time you see them? They would probably think it very odd that after years of being ignored by you suddenly you are full of conversation and a gift.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I wouldn't do that. People like to pick out their own art.

There is nothing worse than have someone give you their art and then having to pretend you like it or feel obligated to have it up in the house when the person gifting it comes over. That kind of gift creates an uncomfortable obligation or forced gratitude. I have been doing art for over 20 years and I would never give my art to anyone unless they wanted to buy it, or asked for it, or I really knew the person well enough to know they would like it.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 PM

108 posts, read 73,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post

There is nothing worse than have someone give you their art and then having to pretend you like it or feel obligated to have it up in the house when the person gifting it comes over. That kind of gift creates an uncomfortable obligation or forced gratitude. I have been doing art for over 20 years and I would never give my art to anyone unless they wanted to buy it, or asked for it, or I really knew the person well enough to know they would like it.
I understand, my mom tried to do that with one of my paintings; but it wasn't finished so she took a painting from my cousin instead who is also an artist. Instead of my cousin giving her the real thing she gave her a piece of paper that had the same dimensions as the original. She did that also when I had a mini canvas with a miniature oil painting on it and she scaled down one of her pencil artworks, put it on some cheap paper, cut it out and made a mini painting that way.

I don't think I need therapy to get over this. Merely talking about it just made me feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships