Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

I have to say that the OP and his wife sound incredibly high maintenance. The OP has WAY to many opinions on the poor sons life, and most don't sound fair.

This may explain why he is avoiding you both.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:53 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, I lost my mom a few years back. I even bought a card for a couple of years after she passed. Parents aren't going to be around forever.

Now I make it a point with women I know who are mothers to say have a Happy Mother's Day.
Thank you for doing this; I’m sure you have made a difference.

Mothers, in general, have always struggled to feel validated but over the last few decades; they seem to be in the running for the; “people we love to hate” category. Used to be there were dads in the house who would enforce the “Respect your mother!” ... mandate but I guess moms aren’t that popular with dads now even.

There are all different types of people & families out there & in no other relationship is the “grass always greener”, than in the mother & teen/young adult child relationship.

I used to be one of those that talked about my crazy mom but in retrospect I can see that she tried so hard & only ever wanted the best for me. And yes, she could be judgemental, play the martyr, lay on the guilt trip, etc ... But seriously; if ever somebody needed to be judged; it was me, sometimes. And she would have been a slacker if she didn’t guilt trip me. That’s somewhere in the job description, I’m sure.

I really think that it’s “popular for your mom to be unpopular” right now. Even the whole “childfree by choice” claim makes me wonder. Is saying; “I never want kids” ... actually saying; “I don’t ever want to be like you”?* Even Google has slipped in a covert jab at moms via their Google Doodle these last two years. Last years was “how we could help the children of incarcerated mothers.” This years was “Honoring mothers from ALL species”.

Seriously? Millions of people will see that Mothers Day message worldwide & we will hear about moms who can’t mother due to being convicted felons & furry, feathery & scaley “moms”? Anything but our narcissistic, human moms.

*Afterthought: Or to avoid having to own up to maybe finding out it’s not that easy?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think ya'll overreacting. It's just a dumb date with overcrowded restaurants and overpriced flowers.

Be a good son/daughter all year round, not just on mother's day.
Exactly!

We can add a few other dates as well to that.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I cannot begin to count the number of women I know whose grown children fail to acknowledge them on Mother’s Day, no card, no call, nada. Unfortunately it’s just not that rare. I don’t get it. How hard is it to call, drop a card in the mail, any gesture to show your appreciation. I grew up with a stepmother who couldn’t stand me and even her I acknowledged on that day.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
If you put your expectations on someone else, you will be disappointed most of the time. I really think its far more important how people treat each other on a daily basis. Too many people say "happy mothers day" or whatever day, not meaning anything by it other than its expected of them. What good is that? Id rather get a tail wag from my dog, at least I know its sincere.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have to say that the OP and his wife sound incredibly high maintenance. The OP has WAY to many opinions on the poor sons life, and most don't sound fair.

This may explain why he is avoiding you both.
He comes here to rant about her children because it makes him feel superior.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
All you can do, really, is just take care of who you care about. I understand being a bit miffed at a "less than sensitive" kid but all you can do is remind him. Then you're done. Comfort your wife.

Growing up in the 60's, I had a mentor, but no father. My mentor is long gone now. Father's day a few years ago I sent his daughter a father's day message just to tell her that, like her, I was thinking of her father. She answered and was very, very appreciative. It made my day, just knowing that I had made her day.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
My son was traveling with friends in Colombia. He texted me "happy mother's day!" I was happy enough with that. Honestly, I don't get into all of the trappings of a fake holiday. My kids do nice things for me at other times; they don't limit them to the second Sunday in May and then go all out. My husband did take my daughter to buy me flowers, which was very nice. But if that's the only time I ever got flowers, I'd have lots of hopes pinned on that one day. And, to me, that's sad.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Speaking as a mother, I find mother's day and father's day to be annoying "hallmark" holidays that are completely unnecessary. I've told my kids that once they are adults they do NOT need to do anything for me on Mother's Day (while they are younger my husband insists on honoring the day).

The only important holidays for me are Xmas and Easter. I don't even care if my birthday is acknowledged, TBH.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Celebrating Mother's Day, while common, is not universally obligatory. My DH does not have much of a sense of occasion and had it been left to him in his dealings with his mother, he probably would not have known when it was Mother's Day. But he was happy to drive an hour to visit her almost every week of the forty-five years that he lived away from her. And I know that is what his mother appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships