U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM

5,426 posts, read 2,895,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
She's not happy about it either.
Just let it go...

If he is a good son otherwise why put the guilt on him--what will that do for either of them.

As for all Holidays--there is always so much pressure to make it a perfect day. Gosh forbid it something goes wrong...

https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/mothers-day
The American incarnation of Mother's Day was created by Anna Jarvis in 1908 and became an official U.S. holiday in 1914. Jarvis would later denounce the holiday's commercialization and spent the latter part of her life trying to remove it from the calendar.

While Jarvis had initially worked with the floral industry to help raise Mother’s Day’s profile, by 1920 she had become disgusted with how the holiday had been commercialized. She outwardly denounced the transformation and urged people to stop buying Mother’s Day flowers, cards and candies.

Jarvis eventually resorted to an open campaign against Mother’s Day profiteers, speaking out against confectioners, florists and even charities. She also launched countless lawsuits against groups that had used the name “Mother’s Day,” eventually spending most of her personal wealth in legal fees. By the time of her death in 1948 Jarvis had disowned the holiday altogether, and even actively lobbied the government to see it removed from the American calendar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 PM

12,554 posts, read 10,422,510 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear. My wife and her son are not estranged. For lack of a better term at the moment, he is just a self centered dick. Not the first time I've seen him step on his mom.
Has she ever said anything to him about how this kind of stuff makes her feel?

He may honestly just be caught up in his own world and not even thinking about it. Selfish, yeah, but unfortunately a lot of people are selfish. Or maybe he's just a dick, as you said. We on the internet can't really know.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:23 PM

1,147 posts, read 334,944 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear. My wife and her son are not estranged. For lack of a better term at the moment, he is just a self centered dick. Not the first time I've seen him step on his mom.
Unfortunate. How about next year you send him a text.........it's Mother's day. Please call your Mom.

Don't tell your wife you told him to call. You will still know he's a dick, but your wife will be happy.

Perhaps you could also remind him of her birthday.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,598,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Has she ever said anything to him about how this kind of stuff makes her feel?

He may honestly just be caught up in his own world and not even thinking about it. Selfish, yeah, but unfortunately a lot of people are selfish. Or maybe he's just a dick, as you said. We on the internet can't really know.
How could you not think about it? It's in your face in the stores, on TV, Internet ads, etc.

What kind of rock would someone be living under to not know it was Mother's Day?

Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 PM

21,588 posts, read 14,193,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Unfortunate. How about next year you send him a text.........it's Mother's day. Please call your Mom.

Don't tell your wife you told him to call. You will still know he's a dick, but your wife will be happy.

Perhaps you could also remind him of her birthday.
This!

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 370,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How could you not think about it? It's in your face in the stores, on TV, Internet ads, etc.

What kind of rock would someone be living under to not know it was Mother's Day?
Exactly, no excuse. Unless she was a terrible Mother and they’ve never been close , then no reason to not acknowledge Mothers Day. Too many options available to send gift or card or quick call. Unless he’s on a cancer deathbed , no excuse.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM

15,930 posts, read 12,709,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Just let it go...

If he is a good son otherwise why put the guilt on him--what will that do for either of them.

As for all Holidays--there is always so much pressure to make it a perfect day. Gosh forbid it something goes wrong...

[/i]
I think ya'll overreacting. It's just a dumb date with overcrowded restaurants and overpriced flowers.

Be a good son/daughter all year round, not just on mother's day.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:23 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,022,861 times
My late DH, who had 4 grown kids who pretty much ignored Father's Day, used to say, "If you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed."

Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 PM

9,146 posts, read 3,540,336 times
Very sad but nothing you can do.

An elderly woman I know told me she's always been very hurt that her son does not acknowledge Mother's Day. She asked me because she was searching for answers, but I told her I really didn't know. Some people are just forgetful or have too much going on in their lives.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:16 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,212,621 times
well, my brother-in-law did not attend my MIL's funeral.
but, he showed up for the distribution of her will.

Mother's Day? call/visit/whatever...never.

of course, everyone might want to know what he got from the will.
$15K. he blew it all in one weekend. we know since we got the police report
because he bought a car and was pulled over since the plates were expired.
he told my wife he was in another state, but we know he was not. there
were other lies, but that would be a loooong post.
finally...he got $15K because my MIL was smart....she said do not give (name)
all the money at once. well, my wife is the executrix, and it is done and done.

bottom line: yes, there are people like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or